Author Topic: TV WTF  (Read 16250 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: TV WTF
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 12:21:43 AM »
OMG!  That's it.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 06:32:17 AM »
Maybe gay aliens are actually straight.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline tarascon

• Cro-Magnon
  • Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2014, 06:47:51 AM »
The exact opposite to life on Earth.  ;D
Estragon: I can't go on like this.
Vladimir: That's what you think.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2014, 10:39:20 AM »
Maybe gay aliens are actually straight.

I looked it up.  This is a show from an old Gene Roddenberry plot.  The race had become sterile and were looking to humans for some way to extend their existence.  There is considerable ambiguity about whether they are male or female so their androgenous nature is discussed by the cast on screen.  The aliens are played by female actresses, but they are very tall and have deep voices...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 02:53:44 PM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2014, 11:13:27 AM »
Sadly, I LOVED E:FC.  I loved to hate Sandoval.
--dweez

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2014, 02:48:55 PM »
It was hard to know what to think given I was constantly seeing only fragments and had little idea of what was really going on.  I was up in the middle of the night watching the first episode and think it might be interesting to watch.  A new insomnia project.  Incidentally, I got hooked on this web series and am not sure if I loved or hated it but thought I'd post it here just to get an opinion.  It's a short soap opera with a number of pretty  people who all should just be hit in the face with a cream pie methinks.

Offline Maudibe

• Homo Erectus
  • I'm not crazy. I'm chosen.
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2014, 08:43:03 AM »
I enjoyed the voice over made some interesting points. Here is one I want to share I actually think this was really funny you decide.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2014, 06:10:47 AM »
sadly, the video was removed by the user.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2014, 10:06:02 AM »
I tried, and failed, to find the entertainment value in Fresh Meat.  One of the main male characters was on Q.I. and I wanted to hit him in the face with a pie, he was so self obsessed and annoying.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2014, 10:25:17 AM »
Are you talking about Jack Whitehall? I've always found him a little insecure.

Annoying, but insecure.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2015, 12:24:21 AM »
I think so.

Skins is a billion times better.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2020, 01:10:00 AM »
Imagine Sex and The City with a cast focused on a writer who is dumpy and self involved and much less interesting an actress than Sarah Jessica Parker.  It's "Girls."  On amazon prime.  The more I watch, the more I loathe it, particularly the main character.  We are treated to the spectacle of her unappealing nude body regularly and I can't but shake my head.  Please make it stop.

It reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Homer crosses tomato plants with tobacco and comes up with addictive fruit that tastes horrible.  That's this show.  There are some good supportive actors who are much more adept at their craft than the main focus.  She needs to be hit in the face with a cream pie every thirty seconds.  Edit:  I see I often respond to repulsion with an urge to throw cream pies at offenders.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 01:13:01 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2020, 01:30:10 AM »
Tomacco. From Ralphie we learn that it tastes like grandma.

Lena Dunham is by all accounts an incredibly foul person, and absolutely nothing could compel me to watch that series.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2020, 08:12:08 AM »
There's definitely a faux feminism underlying the basic ethos of this series.  The main character has a flabby, unappealing body and she has an atrocious diet, gets no exercise, and somehow, manages to get all kinds of attractive men to sleep with her.  Why?  How?  Presumably, because whoever is writing this (apparently the main character plays herself--bad move that) thinks she should have this perk.  And subjecting the viewer to her in the nude on a regular basis is of a piece with this. 

I consider myself a feminist, but I don't want to see the naked body of someone so desperately in need of a personal trainer for no real reason.  It does not advance the plot.  It just offends my eyes.  And New York City would eat her alive.  How she subsists on a coffee shop job and gets any writing work at all is god's own mystery.  She has a couple of pretty friends and there are a number of characters who might be more worth watching if they'd get any more time devoted to their development, but they sort of flit around on the sidelines. 

I found Sarah Jessica Parker annoying in Sex and the City, but she was surrounded by women with interesting characters and careers.  It was a bit more believable.  At least they had real jobs.  And we didn't have to watch them get naked most of the time, and had we been subjected to it, it wouldn't have been an aesthetic offense of the first order.  I fear for the young women who are purportedly this show's demographic.  What crappy examples to model oneself after...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 08:17:57 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2020, 07:19:13 PM »
I read the movie spoiler for BOP, and wow, that's really the direction they went with?

Like I heard Cass Cain was in it, and I was like "holy poo, how are they going to do THAT backstory justice".

They don't. They just make her a lousy pickpocket.

Cassandra Cain was the daughter of two villains, and was raised in an abusive manner where she can essentially read what you're going to do before you do it by body language, but cannot SPEAK because the abuse basically rewired her brain. She can also kick the absolute poo out of anyone who steps to her.

vs.

Lousy pickpocket swallows a diamond and becomes an extended poo joke.

All of the other characters suck too, they're all hard done by without actually elaborating as to why they're hard done by, and end up being the architects of their own misery.

… And that makes the movie sound interesting, when it isn't.

I actually enjoy the animated Harley Quinn series. Ivy alone is bless'ed fantastic.

But yes, many entertainment programs have become committee designed products that we are repeatedly told are the best/most fantastic/also woke, but are essentially an empty container.

I wish they'd leave Ghostbusters alone.