Author Topic: TV WTF  (Read 16404 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Re: TV WTF
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2022, 11:15:59 PM »
I remember unhappily watching those late SG-1 seasons and deeply missing the goofy years.

Not sure I would ever hate watch an entire series. There's a reason I stopped making the Atlantis posts, and I genuinely liked Stargate Atlantis the first time I watched it.

The rewatch just felt like more of the bad seasons of SG-1.

I had my mom watch the pilot movie for Atlantis, and she hated it. And she liked SG-1. Turns out she watched it on her own. She really likes Teal'c and his outsider take on things.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2022, 12:36:30 AM »
I quite liked Teal'c, but Atlantis looked super goofy.  There's a point when you think to yourself, "wouldn't it be better for me to read Don Quixote instead?"  That said, I'm too tired to read anything like that right now, so I'll be looking at The Ministry of Time again.  Spanish tv for some reason has ended up on my HD and so I have been watching lots of it.  That's a pretty entertaining series, not super great but amusing enough.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2022, 12:05:53 AM »
Just finished "I know who you are," a Spanish crime drama where pretty much everyone is such a jerk that you don't care what happens to anybody, but when some of them are bumped off, you cheer because their character was just so annoying.  Being smart and pragmatic seems to win over justice and doing the right thing.  There was a super irritating repetitive theme tune that just wouldn't stop.  Kind of like a bad toothache.  Plus, like Gran Hotel, everybody slaps everybody every few minutes.  Spain, a slap happy country.

We are also watching a show that we like to call "lady Pathologist" but known as "Night and Day" (Nit i Dia) a Catalonian series with a forensic pathologist who is married to a Type A businessman (jerk).  She picks guys up in bars.  Why?  Well, she's married to a jerk.  But maybe she just likes casual sex.  Who knows?  At any rate, she's actually pretty funny and smart.  There are some sympathetic characters and a strange serial killer who has a day job as a fireman.  Compared to "I know who you are," this is a real feel good series with some likable characters with just a reasonable sprinkling of jerks and or bad guys.   I spent a short time in Barcelona (where this takes place) and it's odd to get used to people speaking Catalan after listening to all the jerks in the above mentioned series speaking Castillian.  Last time I was in Barcelona, it was a sleepy run down kind of place with a real charm.  Now it's clear that lots of money cascaded into the place after Spain joined the EU and it's got its own Gherkin.  Things really have changed.  Anyway.  "Nit i Dia" is a whole lot better than "I know who you are."
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 12:14:07 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2022, 03:07:42 AM »
Just fast forwarded through Season 1 of The Rain, Danish post apocalyptic series.
Then I read the synopsis of seasons 2&3 because there was no way I was going to waste any more time on that drivel.  Who writes this stuff? 

EDIT:  reminded me a little of The 100.  Hot young people deal with hostile environment riddled with threats:  toxic rain, pathogens (here human-created virus), other nutjobs in their midst (power hungry, or those who want to become infected or to infect others, cannibals, mad scientists, etc.).  I watched the first couple of episodes at normal speed and then just tossed in the towel and sped through the rest.  I should have read a book instead.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 06:17:48 PM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2022, 10:53:50 PM »
I'm moving The Crown season 5 to this thread because it's just so badly written and the casting so ill advised.  Who writes this dreck?  It's hard to sit through.  Full stop.

I've seen episodes of Knot's Landing that were more compelling.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2022, 01:54:26 PM »
Just finished the latest season of Manifest which was just a huge pile of jumbled mess.

I'm being polite.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2022, 05:05:22 PM »
I don't feel like those quasi-mystery series actually have legs. They're generally used as midseason replacements and eventually get cancelled, with the mystery being either boring (god did it) or left unexplained.

The fact Manifest got a resurrection is mind boggling, a mystery in and of itself.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2023, 02:16:49 AM »
I was casting around for something new to watch when I stumbled onto this awful German sci fi horror series, "The Island."  Gak.  First of all it was dubbed into English, which didn't help the moronic dialogue.  It's kind of like everyone is so annoying that you are glad they are all going to get sick and most of them die. But not soon enough to cut this series as short as it needed to be to avoid being in this thread.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/3689057/island-series-heads-screambox-bdtv/

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2023, 08:34:28 AM »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2023, 10:53:57 AM »
Evil dead need to stay put, dead and buried.  They can work out their transgressions in the underworld.  Let Satan/Pluto/etc. deal with them.  We've got other things to do.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2023, 06:36:16 AM »
So just finished 1883 and 1923 tv series.
both different to Yellowstone and each has their own merits.
I enjoyed  :).

our media provider Virgin have just replaced our 15 yr old box for anew swanky small one. Works fine but no rugby recording now available  :-[ :-[
Decent service and only 3 days for them to visit, could have had a next day service but working nights I needed some sleep.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2023, 08:41:01 AM »
finished The English and The Last of us, joy of working nights and not a lot of work due to be in trading  administration and not being able to pay bills.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2023, 10:25:47 PM »
Finished season 1 of Picard, saving season 2 for the week.

Looking for more ( of something ) to watch on nights when no work available but unsure what ??? Help anyone?

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2023, 02:07:22 AM »
I'm moving "Britannia" into the TV WTF dept. because it was just awful at the end.  It was all I could do to pay attention to the last two episodes.  Gak.  Once everyone started wearing eyeliner and mousse, it was all over.  A stupid ending, and I guess Edwin Hawkins' estate must be super hard up for money for licensing "oh Happy day" to that abortion of a tv show.  I'm still shaking my head at that misuse of a beautiful gospel song.  What were they thinking?  He passed away recently, but that song was inspirational when it was released as a top 40 hit.  To see it so badly misconstrued was a tragedy.

To take that much talent and waste all those gifted actors on such badly written scripts should be some kind of crime in a country where theatre is actually taken seriously.  So boo hiss for this one.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 09:10:22 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2023, 06:52:43 AM »
Son has got me to Watch For All Mankind,  may save for my holiday