Author Topic: French Fries.  (Read 4618 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
French Fries.
« on: July 06, 2013, 01:33:09 AM »
So the way I did this was toss some olive oil salt and pepper on the gits and baked em till they glowed. I shook up the oil and spices a bit because I didn't want em spice heavy on one side. That's probably the secret. Well that and the caramelized onions.

Next time I make this, I'll do measurements. Wasn't really a concern tonight.

Most of the recipes have "Dry with paper towel" in them. So bless'ed wasteful.

The recipes also called for frying, which makes a god awful mess. I avoid frying foods primarily because of the effort, but the weight concerns are not minimal.

If you're replacing your water molecules with fat molecules, no matter how delicious, you're going to pay the bless'ed bill.

The sunbeam french fry cutter from walmart is poo unless you've got guns. Just skin your potato with a peeler, then slam that politician down.

I suppose if you're weight conscious you could drop the oil? Or the onions. Those are probably the fattiest bits.

Anyway, procedures

You will need
Potatoes. Dur. I think I used six?
1 white onion, diced
margarine (I guess you could use butter, I used margarine) I eyeballed it.
Salt
Pepper
Oil. (I used olive)

Equipment
Sunbeam french fry cutter (Get something better)
Cutting board (obvi)
Frying Pan
Cookie sheet.
Pitcher
dish for onions

Directions
Caramelize the onions by reducing the butter into the onion, and bring them together in harmony. Set aside in covered dish. Might want to flip this and do it last?

Chop the poo out of the potatoes with the chopper thing. I sliced the bottoms off the potatoes so that the chopper would be easier to guide. Still slipped once or twice and made tardfries.

Fill a pitcher of water and toss the newly chopped potato slices in, this prevents browning. Get funny looks from friends because of use of pitcher. Whatevs, holds more water than a glass bowl.

preheat oven to whatever. It was too high. The smaller fries did not survive.

Drizzle the oil over the sliced tato, then drop the spices. The spice must flow.

Transfer to cookie sheet. Remember to spray some non stick on the cookie sheet, or there will be casualties.

Bake for 10? 20? minutes. When they glow you're good. There may be losses.

Drop that onion on the fries. Holy poo that's good stuff. Reach for ketchup and you lose a hand.

The burgers really sucked in comparison. Whoops?

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: French Fries.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 04:37:40 AM »
I do something similar to that but I par boil the chips (fries).  Our chips do tend to be a lot chunkier so their easy to par boil, and this does make the inside light and fluffy as it should be.

Nice recipe 8ully.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 11:22:46 PM »
I don't often work from scratch, I'm far more likely to just buy a bag o frozen, but it was nice. I wouldn't mind being a cook, but I know for a fact I'll never be quick at it.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 12:33:21 AM »
I regularly make roasted potatoes.  The oven should be at least 400 - 450.

Take a clean produce bag.  Cut the potatoes into 1 inch cubes.  Toss them with olive oil in the bag.  Dump them on a cookie sheet or shallow roasting pan.  Salt and pepper them and add some fresh rosemary.  Cook until they're brown on the bottom.  Take a spatula/pan turner and flip them over.  Cook them for about 10 more minutes.

These are cheap, good and reheat well the next day if you want something on the side to eat with some eggs.

Offline xtopave

• Q
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 12:28:00 PM »
I regularly make roasted potatoes.  The oven should be at least 400 - 450.

Take a clean produce bag.  Cut the potatoes into 1 inch cubes.  Toss them with olive oil in the bag.  Dump them on a cookie sheet or shallow roasting pan.  Salt and pepper them and add some fresh rosemary.  Cook until they're brown on the bottom.  Take a spatula/pan turner and flip them over.  Cook them for about 10 more minutes.

I cook potatoes in the same way at least 3 times a week. The only difference is I use corn or sunflower oil (Italian-Spanish family and I don't like olive oil that much? Preposterous!  :D) Sometimes I add rosemary, sometimes chilli flakes or oregano or thyme.

Offline townie2

• Neandertal
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 07:39:25 PM »
some great tips/idea's there, thanks. if anyone would like some healthy fish with them, my mother buys fresh sole fillets, coats them with low-fat plain yogurt, shakes (coats) them with Italian bread crumbs, and bakes them in the oven on a cookie sheet, crispy outside, very tender and moist inside. i can call her and get more details (oven temperature, etc.) if anyone would like, i think she learned it in a heart-smart cooking class.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 08:56:31 PM »
Doesn't the yogurt add a fuckton of calories? Does she use a low calorie yogurt?

Offline xtopave

• Q
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 09:05:49 PM »
coats them with low-fat plain yogurt

:o I've never heard of this. When I find natural (unflavored) yogurt I'll try that.

Doesn't the yogurt add a fuckton of calories? Does she use a low calorie yogurt?

It's a coating film. Even if it's normal yogurt it wouldn't add that many calories. Anyway it's normally done with beaten eggs that also add calories.

Offline townie2

• Neandertal
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 09:39:48 AM »
she may even use a fat-free yogurt, not sure but i'll find out more details. by plain yogurt, i just mean unflavored (strawberry, blueberry, etc.), i'll find out more about that too. the yogurt gives it a little tangy taste and keeps the fish moist, the Italian bread crumbs are fine, come in a shaker.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 03:06:12 PM »
Sounds delicious townie!
--dweez

Offline townie2

• Neandertal
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 07:55:50 AM »
well this is embarrassing, when i called to ask about it, it is for skinless, boneless chicken, not fish  :-[
details are right though, and it is from her healthy cooking class. i can still get more details if anyone still wants them, sorry.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 09:42:28 AM »
Marinating chicken fillets in buttermilk is a common practice in southern cooking.  It sounds very similar to the yogurt coating.  The fillets end up being much more tender and moist as a result.  Buttermilk is usually pretty low in fat, despite the name.  It's also a cultured milk product.

Offline xtopave

• Q
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 06:28:48 PM »
it is for skinless, boneless chicken, not fish  :-[

Idkw it wouldn't work with fish too.