Author Topic: Safely Eaten  (Read 3808 times)

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
Safely Eaten
« on: July 09, 2013, 08:43:07 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200558226613237&set=a.1142845606419.2021171.1085841122&type=1&theater

Saw this story on facebook, and I remember wanting to start talking about foods with people, and especially what to eat/what not to eat questions.  More so, what dirt people can dig up about about impurities in the food, and reports of poisonous foods anyone finds.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Re: Safely Eaten
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 08:55:37 PM »
Overfishing made farm raising nearly a requirement. Tilapia used to be the poo fish no one wanted to eat, but as populations of more popular fishes dwindle, the poo begins to hit the table.

I'd probably name this thread "Is it safe?" as safely eaten makes me think you left pork out all night and then shrugged and chowed down.

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 10:11:32 PM »
my grams used to buy farmed salmon until she watched a  news special that said that they have successful managed to clone or change the genetics of the fish to have them grow at a faster rate and they are larger then wild salmon… and the FDA doesnt require the company to tell you if your eating clone fish or not… so now she only buys wild.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 10:41:26 PM »
If you've ever eaten a banana, you've eaten a clone.
--dweez

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 10:55:06 PM »
Oranges and apples to?

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 04:52:42 AM »
nope, just bananas. 

Offline xtopave

• Q
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 08:34:32 AM »
Saw this story on facebook, and I remember wanting to start talking about foods with people, and especially what to eat/what not to eat questions.  More so, what dirt people can dig up about about impurities in the food, and reports of poisonous foods anyone finds.

Nice post, Bea.

I bet I talked about food dyes before (Dias or Noid).

Food Dyes Linked to Allergies, ADHD and Cancer

Kraft adds synthetic dyes to US mac & cheese but natural dyes to the UK version.

Have you thought about all the artificially colored food you might be eating?

I banned dyed cereals and Tang-like beverages in my house for example.

Offline townie2

• Neandertal
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 09:51:44 AM »
it's now recommended here that pregnant women don't eat tuna, even canned, what does that tell you? growth hormones to speed up growth/development in cattle, chickens, etc. (to get them to market faster) is wreaking havoc with children's hormones and development (including in milk), my niece started sexually maturing at 7 years old. then there's the antibiotics they give farm animals, not because their sick, but to prevent sickness, that's why so many human diseases are now antibiotic resistant, it's all in the food chain.

Offline Autumn

• Account on hold
  • Cro-Magnon
  • No regrets
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 11:32:51 PM »
Nice post, Bea.

I bet I talked about food dyes before (Dias or Noid).

Food Dyes Linked to Allergies, ADHD and Cancer

Kraft adds synthetic dyes to US mac & cheese but natural dyes to the UK version.

Have you thought about all the artificially colored food you might be eating?

I banned dyed cereals and Tang-like beverages in my house for example.

I read something about dyes affecting the nervous system too. I'll have to look for that.