Author Topic: Sausage Experiment.  (Read 3019 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Sausage Experiment.
« on: July 16, 2013, 11:22:39 PM »
Monday night was an experiment, and it went horribly. The less said about it the better. Mom has decided to experiment with various foods. This makes me EXTREMELY happy. When I first came back from NJ she ate frozen dinners and cereal.

So we started out with hot dog buns and Johnsonville Bratwurst, the cheese kind. They have a jalapeno and cheese kind, but that one will make you regret your meal choice in the bathroom.

Now mom didn't go too far with tonight's experiment, and she did need a bit of prodding. I suggested tossing onions on the grill, which actually scared her. It was funny, she was terrified that she would burn the onion. When I told her that was the point, a light lit over her head. It was awesome to see. And that isn't hyperbole. It was both great to behold, and terrifying. She gets some odd notions.

Her main experiments were with the hot dog buns. I'm not sure what it is, but our house encourages hot dog buns to go bad extremely quickly.

She baked them up like garlic bread, which was shockingly simple, yet something I would never have thought of in a million years. She draped the scorched onions over it on the bun, and it was amazing. Melt in your mouth goodness.

She said in the future she might try putting some red sauce on top of that. Always good to hear how it's going to be stepped up in the future.

The second set was also baked, but this time she dropped some sharp cheddar on the bun while it was still fresh and hot. Then she put the bratwurst in quick, so the cheese was nice and gooey. This might be cheese overkill for some, but I thought it was a great choice.

Her experiment sure kicked the poo out of plain old hot dogs.

About the only thing I can think of is if I had pan caramelized the onions instead of just tossing them on the grill, but it was still a great dinner.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 11:25:49 PM by 8ullfrog »

Offline xtopave

• Q
Re: Sausage Experiment.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 01:21:48 PM »
About the only thing I can think of is if I had pan caramelized the onions instead of just tossing them on the grill, but it was still a great dinner.

That's the beauty of onions. Different texture and flavor with slightly different methods of cooking. There are people that don't like onions! Yummm I say.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 08:23:52 PM »
I can understand it, sometimes they give me stomach pain. (Why is it called heartburn when it's the stomach?)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 12:25:34 AM »
The sausage sounds good.  Onions break down and caramelize into sugars whether you grill them or cook them on the stove.  I used to make quiche with them and it required cooking the onions over medium heat for a good half hour until they were thoroughly limp and sweet.  The quiche was delicious.  I did notice that it tended to loosen the g.i. tract, though.

They are a good food, but if they aren't cooked enough, I'm sure they'll play hell with your digestion.  My neighbors are having a party.  They are laughing.  They are nice people so I don't care if they make noise.