Author Topic: Deficient cheese mystery.  (Read 3634 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Deficient cheese mystery.
« on: September 08, 2013, 08:08:21 PM »
So when I make mac and cheese it's great, but when mom makes it, it's very bland, and there is very little cheese. Usually has hamburger in it.

I asked her about this, and she had no clue why it happens, so I asked which she put in first, the cheese or the meat. Apparently she adds the meat first, so the meat steals all the delicious cheese!

Mystery solved.

Offline mishca09

• Q
Re: Deficient cheese mystery.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 08:32:03 AM »
I've never had a good meat mac & cheese before. my mom and cousin made the best mac & cheese ever.. I've tried to make it but it never tastes the same and I think its because I made it.  and mac & cheese is always better the next day, I wonder why?

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 05:32:52 PM »
Not having to cook?

What I'm saying is that if you're going to make mac and cheese with meat, prepare both separately, then combine.

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 10:26:55 PM »
When my only option for food within walking distance was a convenience store, I made Kraft mac and cheese and threw in a can of Hormel Chile con Carne. Not bad when you're starving.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 04:19:09 AM »
This is a tasty variant of mac n cheese (w/meat) that a friend's mother used to make when I was in high school.  I loved it. It's called Johnny Marzetti.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Johnny-Marzetti-Casserole/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=johnny%20marzetti&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Recipe

That recipe is more complicated than what I remember. I don't think she used sausage, just ground beef.  Here's history with simpler ingredients:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Marzetti
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 04:23:05 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 10:51:04 AM »
I like to mix feta in with the ground beef before combining, it really makes the meal pop.

That being said, fattening as hell.

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 09:28:10 PM »
I don't like feta..

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 01:24:14 AM »
There are many, many kinds of feta I despise. Next time I buy some I'll post the brand.

If it's as strong as bleu, I'm not interested. At that point it's rotten to me.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 01:54:50 AM »
Feta is made from sheep's milk (although in the U.S. most commercial brands are made from cow's milk).  Bulgarian and French fetas are sweet and salty and usually made from sheep's milk.  I buy mine from a cheese shop and I don't know what brand it is, only the country of origin.  It's usually floating in a brine solution.

It's delicious with salad, with some sour rye bread and tomatoes, or cooked with eggs, with some tomatoes.  I'm getting hungry thinking about it.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 04:22:30 AM »
feta as bought is salty and yucky.
When cooked it is divine, as per parmesan.

Offline xtopave

• Q
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 09:14:18 AM »
Feta and ricotta can be anything between very good and completely disgusting.

If I had my way I'd eat a whole parmesan cheese with red wine and die happy.  :D

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2013, 10:48:10 AM »
My Dad made this for us and guarentee you will pass out from the deliciousness:

Shaq’s Macaroni and Cheese

Preparation time:  20 minutes
Total time:  1 hour
Servings:  12
Ingredients:

1 (16-oz) box elbow macaroni
    1 tsp vegetable oil
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 stick (1/2 cup) margarine, preferably Parkay
    1 Tbsp flour
    1 to 1 1/2 cups milk
    1 egg
    1 (16-oz) package Velveeta cheese, diced
    1 (16-oz) package sharp cheddar cheese, diced
    1 cup bread crumbs

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 425°F.

2. In a large pot of boiling water, cook macaroni with oil and salt until al dente. Drain.

3. In a large saucepan, melt margarine over low heat. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add 1 cup milk and egg. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in Velveeta cheese and half the cheddar; cook on low heat until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth. If sauce is too thick, stir in up to 1/2 cup milk.

4. Add cooked macaroni to sauce. Stir over low heat for 1 minute. Taste and add extra salt, if necessary

5. Pour mixture into a large greased casserole dish or baking pan. Top with remaining cheddar and bread crumbs. Bake for 30 minutes or until top and bottom are browned. Cool slightly, cut, and enjoy!

Shaquille's Tips:
A steamed vegetable such as broccoli goes well with this hearty dish. Add a tossed salad with a balsamic vinaigrette for some extra greens. You can substitute Monterey Jack, Gouda, or mild cheddar for all or part of the sharp cheddar. If the top of the macaroni browns before the filling is cooked, tightly cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and continue cooking until heated through.