Author Topic: Help me choose the right way to do this please.  (Read 4080 times)

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
Help me choose the right way to do this please.
« on: September 14, 2013, 02:18:41 PM »
Need to replace my Yahoo!Group due to the most horrific site changes Ive ever experienced. I know I shouldnt complain because its free and we all know you get what you pay for.  Would you suggest any site building software for minimal expense? I dont know if I can handle SMF. Plus, if I use SMF do I have host on my OWN server or is there a server that you pay for? Ive got unlimited upld and server software but yuck., I dont want to commit to that at all. I need members only features and I have 750 members currently that I would want to add at the start up.

Thoughts?

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
Re: Help me choose the right way to do this please.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 12:22:32 AM »
I'm assuming that you have a domain name.

I've never done this but I believe I would use SMF on my own server. It would be cheaper in the long run.

You can pay for a web server but it looks pretty expensive to me.

I'm sure someone with more experience will help you here. Guess you could consider this a bump.  ;D

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 01:04:46 AM »
I've never hosted anything on a provider so don't have any experience with that.  And I've never personally ran my own forums/groups so I probably wouldn't be any help to you.
--dweez

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 03:01:14 AM »
750? Dang.