Author Topic: Agents of SHIELD  (Read 8705 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Agents of SHIELD
« on: September 24, 2013, 05:30:30 PM »
The show has the master of the taser, Agent Coulson, is being overseen by Joss Whedon, and the music is being done by Bear McCreary.

Either this show will be entirely badass, or will fall on it's face in the first episode. Here's hoping for the former.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
Re: Agents of SHIELD
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 09:47:31 PM »
Or...it will be badass but people won't pay attention to it until it's too late.

* dweez shrugs
--dweez

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 10:06:14 PM »
Suffered from pilot jam, too much jammed into too short a time frame.

Plus, I didn't care for their science team.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 05:27:29 AM »
I finally managed to watch the first couple of episodes of this last night (the second was reluctantly) and, not to put too finer point on it, I thought it was utter shite. 

What happened to anyone who was remotely heroic and could fight their way out of a wet paper bag?

It would have better been titled: "Admin of SHIELD".
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Re: Agents of SHIELD -SPOILERS-
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 08:07:13 AM »
This post will have SPOILERS like you would not believe. I don't use spoiler tags. Very few people have responded to this thread anyway, so I don't really care.

I know exactly what your problem is. ABC.

I used to watch Castle. Some of the episodes were great. I usually solve TV murders 20 minutes in, and feel stupid for having wasted my time. TV is supposed to explain things to you, and you're supposed to feel a bit clever having understood it.

But slowly, the writing became further and further ham fisted. Such is the same with Shield. Part of it is fledgling series. Star Trek: The Next Generation, which may as well be my own personal bible, had an extremely shaky first season, mostly recycled scripts from the supposed continuation of the original star trek. They even visited the planet of Black people, who solve disputes with Knife fights on a jungle gym. Seriously.

Shield does have it's subtle moves though. You're damned right when you call it Admin of Shield, That is where the show shines though. For instance, Melinda May, who is considered a one woman army, was rotting in a cubicle by her own choice, but they haven't told us why. These are NOT the Avengers, and they do not have super powers to fall back on. Like in Iron Man 2, people are experimenting with powers, and it is resulting in some INSANE golly ups. Which is where the team comes in.

Also unlike your traditional hero story, The agents of shield are not trying to save the day, they're just trying to keep the world spinning. Twice now, Coulson has straight up sanctioned the monster of the week.

In the Macguffin doomsday device episode, rather than remand the doomsday device into custody to be studied, they launched that madam into the SUN. As long as it doesn't reverse fusion, that's a very definitive way of dealing with a problem.

In the stupid gravity arc episode, rather than find some tech the tech solution and saving the scientist who has clearly cracked, Coulson shoots out the observation glass and threw the mad scientist into the core, destabilizing the stupid gravity reaction. Then he locked that politician in a vault. Good idea, you don't want an unpredictable gravity politician in the sun.

In the most recent episode, A street Magician developed pyrokinetic abilities. The shadowy bad guys strip his blood of protective elements, but also supercharge his abilities. This results in insanity and murder.

Coulson OD's him on Extremis. Extremis turns you into a heat sensitive bomb. So the guy explodes spectacularly.

They didn't save him and toss him on the team, they straight up dealt with the problem. That's X-files level cold.

Also, rather than give their turncoat hacker a second chance, they gave her a slave bracelet. She naffs up again, she won't be able to use a computer again, period.

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
Re: Agents of SHIELD -SPOILERS-
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 10:01:10 AM »
Very few people have responded to this thread anyway, so I don't really care.

It doesn't mean we don't read it.  :)

I finally managed to watch the first couple of episodes of this last night (the second was reluctantly) and, not to put too finer point on it, I thought it was utter shite. 

I've only watched the 1st ep. The chances I'll watch more of it are very little. Maybe if it's on TV on a Sunday evening when I'm ironing clothes and I can't find the remote.  :D

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 10:59:29 AM »
In the first episode, they made *cutehackergirl* a bit more menacing, I thought she might be planning to kill Gunn.

For those who don't know, the premier used several cameos from previous whedon projects, including J. August Richards, who played Gunn on the series Angel.

They also featured Ron Glass, who played Shepherd Book on firefly.

Unfortunately, despite the credit, this series is being run by Jed Whedon, not Joss Whedon.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 07:33:58 AM »
I fear if I were to watch any more even SLJ will start to pansify (he's threatening to already), and then I wouldn't be able to take him seriously in the ongoing movies. 

That would be disastrous.

Offline megamarkd

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 05:07:44 PM »
Ah come on 8ully did you ever think that cheap comic book story and character development would every go well outside of the cheap paper stock that Marvel use?  The great thing about comics and what helps them work so well is static images.  They don't move, the story is not/the characters are not animated.  The reader does that part in their head.

In the end making the real life action adventures of Comicbook Man and Storyboard Boy (and the soap opera that is the machinations of the ancillary staff running the underground vigilante anti-crime task force*) is always going to feel flat compared to the pages that left your fingers covered in crappy ink that they came from.

*wtf? that is just ridiculous! no wonder I started reading 2000ad comics. at least wagner and mills modelled their epic drama on that of ancient rome

Offline megamarkd

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 10:17:53 PM »
FYI: I have about a thousand late seventies early eighties copies of 2000AD. Trying to get up the energy to ebay them and free up four acres of my loft.

My comics went some time ago, I now have to let go of the other consumer of vast land tracts, my records......

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 12:45:23 PM »
I cannot, even after a large amount of alcohol, bring myself to watch episode 3 of this series.  It is just to daunting a prospect for any night of the week.

Perhaps narcotics would help?

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 12:57:24 AM »
I'm enjoying it.  It's not spectacular, but few "comic book" tv/film" ventures are anymore.

Spoiler (hover to show)
--dweez

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 07:55:34 AM »
I don't like the show but I did like the nerd in the last one. They're on a black op and he decides to eat a proscuitto sub, which Agent cardboard chucks off into a lake to throw off guard dogs.

Then they turned a C-17 galaxy into a  bless'ed VTOL, even using the swivel engine to take out a baddie. Gee, that seems familiar.

I thought it was a joke when I heard Agents of SHIELD was being overseen by a Jed Whedon. Turns out it's true.

Seriously, the mans parents named one son Joss, and the other Jed.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 11:29:59 AM »
The odd thing is that I have all the episodes recorded but refuse to delete them even though I have decided not to watch any more.  i think I need to get the flu and spend a couple of days in bed, then I won't mind watching a shitload of poo.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2021, 03:40:58 PM »
My comics went some time ago, I now have to let go of the other consumer of vast land tracts, my records......

FYI: I still have these 2000ADs. I wonder if they have reduced to paper maché yet.

D'you know, I always thought you had to spell it "papier".

That'll learn me to listen to primary school teachers.