Author Topic: Baked Ziti  (Read 7373 times)

Offline mishca09

• Q
Baked Ziti
« on: October 06, 2013, 01:47:45 PM »
I've been looking at a few recipes and most say to add a egg to it. could you make it with out the egg and have it still turn out good?

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
Re: Baked Ziti
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 02:27:02 PM »
It should be fine. I believe the egg is just a binder.

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 05:16:22 PM »
thanks.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 04:33:00 AM »
Do you not like egg?

The reason I mention it is because recipe deviation can often lead to unhappy diners.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 07:23:45 AM »
It's pasta.  Why do you need an egg?

I imagine you can prepare any kind of variant using similar recipes for things like Mac n Cheese, lasagna, pastichio, etc.  You slightly undercook it before adding because it will continue to cook in the casserole.

What kind of sauce are you using?

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 09:23:41 AM »
Do you not like egg?

The reason I mention it is because recipe deviation can often lead to unhappy diners.
I like egg but with the ricotta and other cheese I didn't want to add a egg to it if I didn't have to.

It's pasta.  Why do you need an egg?

I imagine you can prepare any kind of variant using similar recipes for things like Mac n Cheese, lasagna, pastichio, etc.  You slightly undercook it before adding because it will continue to cook in the casserole.

What kind of sauce are you using?

Jar tomato sauce

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 12:14:18 PM »
I assume you are mixing the ricotta with some other cheese(s) and the recipe advocates adding an egg as a binder?  As long as the ricotta adheres to the other cheeses and coats the noodles, I don't see a reason to include it if you don't want it.  Just more fat and cholesterol.  I don't eat meat, but this recipe looked really good.  It has some good step by step pictures.
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2012/11/baked-ziti/

Offline xtopave

• Q
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 12:50:38 PM »
I've never added egg. As 6p says, the starch from the pasta and the cheese are enough to bind the ingredients. Let it rest for a while after you take it from the oven. I mean don't cut it while it's too hot and it'll be perfect.

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 01:13:25 PM »
Thanks 6. Pioneer women Recipes are usually very good. I'm thinking of not using meat but maybe mushroom and some other veggies instead.

Thanks XT that's always the hard part for me. I can never wait.

Offline xtopave

• Q
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 01:25:12 PM »
I'm thinking of not using meat but maybe mushroom and some other veggies instead.

Sure, go with the mushrooms! Broccoli, zucchini, peas or even carrots. Ummnn, fantastic!

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 05:09:03 PM »
i made it for dinner, it was good. I didn't use a egg and used part skim ricotta cheese and mozzarella and parm with diced tomatoes it was a similar to pionnerwomans recipe. I didn't miss the egg at all but I think I will use more sauce next time.