Author Topic: Roommate Chronicles: PANIC! EDITION!!!  (Read 4038 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Roommate Chronicles: PANIC! EDITION!!!
« on: November 19, 2013, 11:00:10 PM »
So, we found a lovely notice taped to our front door today. INSPECTION!

There are so, so many bless'ed things wrong with this house. Most of them were here before we moved in, thanks to roommate. For all that we accommodate his fuckery, the realty company and OWNER will likely not be amused.

For instance, lets start on the driveway. Mom's shitty 1978 Datsun RV. We were going to scrap it under a federal program, but they bounced mom out of the program. Not sure why, but the problem isn't going to be solved in the next 24 hours. So that rotty shitbox says Hello inspector!

Next, the front door. Good enough door at one point I suppose, but roommates hand filth has filthified it. I've sprayed it down with just about every product known to man. Bleach? Magic eraser? Have not tried napalm.

Then again, maybe they won't give a poo. Tenant in one of the adjacent units decided she doesn't have to pay rent, yet has money for lawyer to fight eviction. Odd contradiction. Probable cause of inspection.

Next problem with front door, the locks. There is no key for the doorknob, just the deadbolt. This has been brought up before, but roommate Aspie tendencies led to us letting that dog lie. (He began shaking and whispering to himself whenever it was mentioned, making communication difficult if not impossible.

Inspection notice ominously mentions locksmiths, so I'm going to head out to the home despot tomorrow to buy a doorknob deadbolt set. He can have a shaky fit, but this is an issue he can not skate.

Entryway has linoleum that was in bent up state when we moved in. Not sure if that will cause issues with owner, but does not fill one with fuzzy feeling. Carpet in similar state. We threw down a nice throw rug in the living room, it continues to be very nice. Couches are clean, as is small entertainment center. Photo mural looks like it was put up by kindergartners, caused by roommate "helping". Kitchen floor in similar shape as living room, nothing I can do there. Still, not exactly awe inspiring.

Hallway lights have been checked and dusted, I might throw the art out. Art is... unsettling.

Bathroom has many issues, have managed to resolve some. Realty company replaced sink faucet and shower head recently, so hopefully they know current state of things. Not great, but not something a tenant can be expected to fix themselves.

Roommates room is his room, so his problem. I did give him a blanket, hopefully bed will be made. Other than that he just has guitars. Shared closet is filled, but accessible.

My loft continues to be lofty. Got a bed, bed will be made. Aside from that? not much to say.

Mom's room. Scary. We replaced the carpeting in her room by laying fresh carpet over shitty unit wide carpet. By doing this we can not be accused of tearing up the shitty unit carpet. Other than that, mom just needs to put a lot of poo away. I tried to get her to do it this evening, but she blew me off. I removed the curtain she'd nailed over the window, she was not happy about that. The blinds are not in great shape, but they should pass inspection.

So yeah. Freaking out bad and hard. I do not want to have to find a new place to live right now, but it's possible, and also probable.

On the plus side, would be new place to live. Do not want new Roommate with new Roommate issues.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: Roommate Chronicles: PANIC! EDITION!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 11:18:35 AM »
Is it your landlord carrying our the inspection or some kind of property authority?  If it is the latter, then surely it creates a platform whereby you can voice your grievances and bring to their attention the overdue maintenance items.

Personally, I can fix anything and everything where I live, but I dont. I'm not sure why exactly, but I have heard that the man with the worst shoes is usually a cobbler.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 11:44:10 AM »
Did you try Fantastik on the front door?  It's oil based dirt.  Otherwise some light steel wool might work, like a brillo pad.  Other than that I can only wish you luck.  Lots of what you describe sounds like their responsibility to make the place habitable and to bring it up to code.  I'd be looking into tenants rights organizations just the same.

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 01:18:48 PM »
Greased Lightning works on a lot of stubborn stains after letting it soak for a while.

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 04:36:48 PM »
http://www.picknpull.com/locations.aspx   << you can donate or sell the car, and they will pick up the car for you. There are probably a couple of other companies in your state that probably do this.

I wouldn't freak out too much but if you have a lease, you should definitely take a look at it. to see if there something that tenants are expected to maintain etc.

I  dont think the front door is a big deal, it still functions as it should so it should be fine. a typical landlord inspection is make sure there are no violations or fire hazards.  found this. it might be helpful http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/problems.shtml

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 12:15:18 AM »
Yes, that's a good idea.  Even public television will come and tow the car away from you.  My husband's beater truck was taken and they sent us a form allowing us to deduct the donation on our taxes.

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 03:41:20 AM »
I've sold several vehicles as scrap. A couple years ago I sold a 15 year old 3/4 ton pickup with leaky engine seals and a slipping over-the-hill transmission for $200.00 and they came and got it.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 08:07:58 AM »
Mom did something to the stove with what looks like tinfoil, but she scowls and says it isn't tinfoil. The thing looks brand new.

I'm up and waiting. Roommates room kinda looks like a vagrants pile, and makes me sad. I wish he'd take better care of himself, but there isn't really anything I can do to change him. He'd probably resent any suggestions.

I put a candle in there to reduce smellage, and I'm checking it every 10 minutes. I know it's dangerous to leave a candle unattended, but I don't want to hang out in his room.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 04:26:06 PM »
Owner said he was not intending to sell the house. Zillow determined that was a lie.

politician had already listed it before the "inspection." He lied right to my bless'ed face.

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 04:57:08 PM »
zillow lists all houses for sale, not saying it couldn't be true but I would take it with a grain of salt.

my neighbors house is for sale but she isnt moving any where. They have my house listed as having 30+ apts and pictures of one of the apartments. If you know anyone that is realtor, they could check for you and let you know if its on the market.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 05:04:14 PM »
The realty company we rent through offered more than he is listing it for, and are now trying to twist his arm into a new lease. Our agent, who we pay the rent to every month has really gone to bat for us.

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2013, 05:45:29 PM »
thats good. I hope everything turns out the way you want it to.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 12:54:35 AM »
I just checked zillow for my apartment.  It had the right size and number of bedrooms and said it wasn't for sale.  But the best part was the location.  Apparently, I'm sitting somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean as I type this.  It's surprisingly calm.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 11:24:55 PM »
Normally I think well dressed people are a good thing, that they take the time to make themselves look presentable is laudable.

Today I saw two twenty something joker kids climb out of a brand new Porsche and I wanted to start the revolution.

Yup, the looky-loos have begun. There was a second group as well. thankfully neither asked to come in, they would not have received a warm reception.

Apparently we're signing a lease on Wednesday. For all the good that will do. About the only silver lining is that the new owner is a bless'ed dipshit who doesn't know how to list properties.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 02:21:00 PM »
I sympathize.  I've lived through the sale of my apartment building and have had to endure sitting through open houses where streams of curious snoopers trooped through my apartment while I was at home, trying to live my life.  It pretty much sucks and there is nothing you can do about it, provided you have been given proper notification in advance.