Author Topic: Bacon.  (Read 3365 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Bacon.
« on: January 16, 2014, 09:54:15 AM »
I never really thought about this before. I bless'ed hate cooking bacon because of the grease pop and burn.

Most recipes say to start with a hot pan, but the huffington buzzfeed... I'm sorry post, said to start with a cold pan. I found this idea intriguing.

They also say repeatedly to space the bacon out wider than you think is enough, so I did 3 strips at a time. Apparently this has something to do with steam bless'ed up your bacon, and it sounded pretty smart.

Despite every instinct beaten into me by the supermarket, I let the bacon come to room temperature, as the recipe said that lets the fat loosen or some poo.

I put the heat on low. This took for-bless'ed-ever to finish cooking, but the bacon was amazing.

And no pop-burn.

Since I found it helpful:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/28/bacon-mistakes-how-to-cook_n_3111706.html
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 09:59:11 AM by 8ullfrog »

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
Re: Bacon.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 10:20:15 AM »
Bacon in the UK is different to the USA version.
Sends nice though, local butcher sells the bestbacon ever  :)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 11:15:35 AM »
Similar meat, but yeah, I see the difference. I worked in a deli for a bit, I thought that prosciutto looked like dried up rotten bacon and it smelled like Iams dog poo. Not Iams dog food, but the poo that came out of my min pin.

Apparently, American type bacon can be purchased in the UK under the name "streaky bacon".

Canadian bacon... isn't.

This was certainly a learning experience for me. I'm a bit of a rush cook, where I'll try to get poo done as quickly as possible, and it was interesting to slow things down. I don't move particularly quickly in general, so it was kind of nice.

I used the weird Japanese omelet method to clean the pan. It was all nasty and dark, and I knew I'd have a hell of a time scrubbing that poo off, so while the pan was still warm I tossed in some water, brought it to a boil, grabbed the bacon tongs and some paper towel and scrubbed that poo off. Still needed a regular wash, but it went much more quickly.

The omelet trick was actually a form of lubrication. The chef had a small can of oil that he dipped paper towel into and then greased the exposed bits of pan. Really fascinating video.
Music is soothing too.

I tried to set the start time at 2 minutes 12 seconds to show his oil method, but the embed didn't work?

« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 11:19:55 AM by 8ullfrog »

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 12:22:42 PM »
I've never been able to post a youtube video that starts at a specific time in the video.  No matter how I've formatted it (as well as directly ripping the format off a posted video where it is working) it always starts at 0:00.  And not just on Dias either, but every other forum I've tried it on as well.
--dweez

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 01:08:41 AM »
Must be part of the plugin, or youtube being a golly.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 06:04:45 PM »
Bacon in the UK is different to the USA version.
Sends nice though, local butcher sells the bestbacon ever  :)

I think U.S. bacon is called "streaky bacon" in the UK while in the U.S., UK bacon is known as "Canadian bacon."  Pretty whacky but true.

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 07:34:18 PM »
That Japanese Omelet looks amazing, need some peppers, onions, and cooked potato pieces.  mm.

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 08:06:41 PM »

Offline Maudibe

• Homo Erectus
  • I'm not crazy. I'm chosen.
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 09:31:48 AM »

Bacon makes everything taste better... even bacon