Author Topic: First Aid  (Read 2961 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
First Aid
« on: February 19, 2014, 04:44:58 PM »
What's in your kit? obviously a clean pair of scissors, which I keep in a bag of their own, assorted shapes and sizes of gauze, some alcohol for sanitation, in my case some burn cream, bandages, a seatbelt cutter, small package of gloves - latex in my case, as I don't have allergies. You're supposed to use non-latex. Some aspirin. Medical tape (Holy poo is it annoying when you forget the tape) alcohol wipes, Q-tips (for those hard to reach places) Bottle of liquid bandage.

I've now realized I'm a bit short in my kit, since I try to pack light. I completely spaced on tweezers because I carry a leatherman knife and that's got pliers. Just now realized that might not cut it when I need a tiny grabber.

Reason I mention this is my dog ripped my ear open this morning and the kit was in the car. Thankfully I had a bottle of alcohol and Q-tips in the hall closet, but I really should have a kit in the house, ready to go.

That being said, I have a weird feeling I forgot a step in wound care. I cleaned it, which hurt like a madam, sanitized it, and then dried it to let it clot on it's own, after which I will sanitize again and apply the liquid bandage. I think part of what freaks me out is that I'm usually the one doing the wound care, and it's odd to do it to myself. I might also add some of that wound cleaning junk that's really just saline, but I might just stick with water.

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
Re: First Aid
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 05:55:44 PM »
The only thing that comes to mind is H2O2 -> Hydrogen peroxide.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 06:58:46 PM »
I shy away from peroxide for wound cleaning, I hear it eats into the wound, can cause some problems.

Ironically, I came by this knowledge from an ARG, the Year Zero ARG for the NIN album Year Zero.

In the fictional future, the UK moves to microchip criminals, and neglect to remove the chip when the criminals are released from custody.

An underground industry pops up in which back of van medics remove the chips for a fee. Obviously these medics are unqualified, and problems pop up, one of them caused by the fact that peroxide eats at the wound.

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 08:07:25 PM »
my mothers friend son, was bitten by his best friends dog.  He didn't go to the ER but she said rubbed salt in the wound to help it clot. She said it was pretty big gash in his hand.

We don;t have a first aid kit in our house but we have most things like qtips and gauze. Did you know the guy that created q tips got the idea from his wife because she used to wrap cotton around a toothpick to clean their babys ears.  His name was Leo Gerstenzang.

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 09:27:13 PM »
^
I try to keep it all together, but what she said. 

qtips
gauze
medical tape
Clean linen packaged in plastic
Peroxide
Alcohol
Bactine
Triple Antibiotic Ointment
Hydrocortizone Cream
Salt~ Good thinking, thanks mishca
Fever reducers
Band-aids
Tweezers
Antibacterial Soap and Alcohol Wipes
________This can get expensive, and I don't have most of it.
Inhaler *2
Medications (by person)
Stomach Ulcer Medication
Anti-Inflamatory Medicine
Pain Killer
Liquor
Antihistamines (shot for allergies)

ANd last but not least Google for more options, this is a good subject.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 01:02:43 AM »
I have my Wife, that's about it  ;D ;D

Online 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 07:30:38 PM »
Bandaids, neosporin, hydrogen peroxide, rubbing alcohol, benadryl cream, gauze, tape, bactine.  That's about it.

I do a lot of yard work so I'm often banging myself up on one thing or another, so I use the bandaids, neosporin, hydrogen peroxide a good deal.  I've heard odd things about it but have never had any problem with it.

When I was a kid we used to use iodine or mercurochrome and that dyed your skin orange around the wound.  It was probably really toxic or something because nobody uses it anymore, but it came in a little glass bottle with a rubber stopper and a glass wand.

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 08:27:56 PM »
I had that whole zombie apocalypse in mind, it'll pass.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 03:41:57 PM »
Everything bar a defibrillator although I am, quite seriously, considering one of those too.  They are relatively cheap these days.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 03:57:23 PM »
Ah, thank you, and actually I have a "Nonrebreathing Mask, with a safety vent."  I'm sure there is a less technical name, but I still think it's very important, and I meant to put it on the list.