Author Topic: Rice  (Read 3633 times)

Offline mishca09

• Q
Rice
« on: March 12, 2014, 06:33:59 PM »
I've realized that rice tastes a lot better if I use chicken stock or Veggie Stock instead of plain water. Especially if its brown rice. I  like my rice to be a little chewy. Mushy rice is the worse and I can't eat it. Same goes for noodles.

Offline xtopave

• Q
Re: Rice
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 12:26:45 PM »
I completely agree with all of the above.

I detest the vinegared rice for sushi. Hence I don't like sushi.

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 07:08:53 PM »
I do just steam with a small amount of water on vegetables, and I only use water on the white rice.  Unless I make it for my mother, she likes the cinnamon and sugar with butter and milk.  I do love chicken stock and peppers for chicken though.  I would like it on yellow rice and the brown sounds delicious with it too, thanks :)

Offline xtopave

• Q
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 07:20:51 PM »
I made a risotto tonight. Made with red onions, carrots and peas.

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 07:24:54 PM »
that sounds good xp. I've never made risotto is it easy ?

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 07:33:18 PM »
You can always tell when someone gives a poo when they cook rice. If it's mushy and plain? They're phoning it in.

Offline xtopave

• Q
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 08:16:41 PM »
that sounds good xp. I've never made risotto is it easy ?

Yeah, it is easy. Mostly you just have to be there stirring and adding the stock little by little. Here's a basic recipe from bbc food. I tend to add some butter to the oil when I fry the onions, when they're transparent I add the chopped garlic and immediately the rice. I refuse to add that much butter for the final mantecatura. It's very good with even with just a bit and some cheese.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 11:05:16 PM »
I have some arborio rice and fresh mozarella, so I'll make some risotto alla caprese (w/tomato and mozarella cheese, using chicken stock and fresh oregano as a garnish.  It's pretty good.

I got a risotto cookbook and there's a ton of recipes in it I still have yet to try.  xtopave is right.  The hardest part is just standing there, adding broth and stirring rice.  It's a satisfying hearty stick to your ribs kind of food.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 04:56:35 AM »
I make a sauce separately to the risotto that is cooking in stock in the meantime, and then combine them about 4 minutes from the end of the cooking time.  When you run a wooden spoon down the centre of the mixture, if the line stands for a few seconds without it collapsing back, it's ready.

I young Italian chef who studied in Spain taught me that method and I've never looked back. Maybe it's a Spanish take on it?
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 09:17:08 AM »
That sounds much like the recipes I have in the risotto cookbook.  There's two parts to the risotto.  One is the rice the other the soffritto, the mix of vegetables that you usually add near the end, along with cheeses and herbs.  I usually start the rice portion with a little sauteed onion in oil, add the rice, then some white wine, followed by slow additions of stock (I normally use chicken based stock).  Near the end, if it's mushroom risotto, you add the sauteed mushrooms at the end.  I guess it's to save the integrity of the ingredients and to keep them from turning into mush.

Your tip about running the spoon down sounds handy.  I find the rice gets a certain tension where it needs more broth added and this goes on for about 20 minutes, the stirring. 

As far as Spanish, Italian, whatever, I think there is a commonality that goes all the way back to the Roman empire and that persists as far as foodways goes, although I do think I had some of the best food in Europe when I was in Spain.

People like to eat.  Everywhere.  How they go about pleasing themselves in that arena varies infinitely.