Author Topic: Canned chicken.  (Read 4019 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Canned chicken.
« on: April 16, 2014, 02:44:24 PM »
So the canned roast beef is pretty much a hit around the house, but I now have the sad duty of mixing mayonnaise into canned chicken. I'm not actually sure how much to use, so I googled it.

One retard on yahoo answers had asked how subway makes their tuna creamy. When she was informed that they use a "shitload of mayo" she threw a massive fit about how she can't eat mayonnaise, and that's bad for her cholesterol, and she'll never eat there again.

Really.

Most of the searches I've had seem to agree about this "Shitload of mayonnaise" amount, but I can't get an exact measurement. This is science people! Science that will eventually be digested.

The can of chicken is five ounces. If anyone knows this Subway top secret measurement of "Shitload" I'd appreciate it.

[UPDATE: They don't actually know. I watched two videos of employees preparing the tuna, and they just squeeze a giant bag of mayonnaise into two pounds of chicken. Neither video shows the amount in the sack of mayonnaise.]

Both videos were poo. If you're going to take the time and show your name tag on camera, at least film the WHOLE PROCESS instead of starting in the middle.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 02:56:49 PM by 8ullfrog »

Offline mishca09

• Q
Re: Canned chicken.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 03:13:47 PM »
We used to get canned chicken chunky style when my gram was obsessed with the stuff. I use soup spoon to measure out the mayo. I'll add two spoonfuls the first time then test it then add additional spoonful each time depending on how creamy i wanted it.

Is the tuna at subways good? My mom has always warned me to never order tuna any where. I figure because people usually don't follow the health codes correctly but I'm thinking that some places have gotten better with following the rules.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 04:17:46 PM »
Your mom was pretty smart, that certainly sounds like good advice. The reason I wanted to know how subway does it is because they have fairly strict measurements about what goes on a sandwich, and I figured the amounts would be listed somewhere.

Then I find out it's a sack the size of a pillow. I'm sure there are specific measurements that the less than stellar employees in the videos ignore, but I'm not having any luck conjuring those measurements.

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 04:42:51 PM »
Maybe you found this already
http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/subway-classic-tuna-recipe.html
they used  1/3 of a cup of mayo
 One of commenters mixes the tuna and mayo in a food processor

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 04:48:41 PM »
yeah, that was the third result I think. I had a torrent a few years back of restaurant recipe clones, the information I seek might be buried in there somewhere.  -_-

Offline xtopave

• Q
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 04:50:37 PM »
Maybe you found this already
http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/subway-classic-tuna-recipe.html
they used  1/3 of a cup of mayo
One of commenters mixes the tuna and mayo in a food processor

But tuna isn't chicken. I'd add less mayo to chichen than to tuna. Just my opinion.

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 09:40:28 PM »
but canned chicken or at least brand we brought was very dry. so we would use more mayo then we would with tuna. If I make chicken salad from scratch then I use less mayo.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 11:34:19 PM »
To be honest there was a part of me hoping I wouldn't find anything. I'd rather live off grilled cheese sandwiches for the rest of my life than make another canned meat meal. I get the price of meat is through the bless'ed roof, but there alternatives other than this bless'ed dog food :(

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 01:57:25 AM »
I'd expect that canned chicken, like canned tuna, is actually more expensive than buying a small portion of the real thing fresh.  The worst you might pay for boneless skinless chicken breasts is around $4/pound.  If your 5 oz. can of chicken costs $1, 16 oz would cost over $3/lb and it is of lower quality.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 11:25:23 PM »
Yeah, mom thinks like that too. We've got a freezer full of bless'ed chicken.

I've never liked chicken. Turkey, I enjoy when it's prepared correctly. I tend to only enjoy chicken when it's broken down to a fairly extreme amount, like chicken salad, or bbq shredded chicken. Fried chicken, I tend to pass on. It's not good for you, and it tends to make me sick.

As to the mystery of the thread, I'm not sure how much mayonnaise mom ended up using, but the sandwiches were sad and depressing.

Irony, I used to LOVE the absolute crap chicken patty sandwiches in the "budget" school lunches. There was a hierarchy, and kids looked down on us kids who couldn't afford the "Subway" subs or "Pizza hut" pizza. poo was still made by high school kids, it was just labeled with a brand name.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2014, 03:59:17 AM »
Where I went to school they had this thing called a "chickwich" which was god knows what part of chicken ground up and reconnected into a hockey puck with breading.  To be served with a barbeque sauce. You just knew it was terrible for you, but you ate it anyway.  They were good.    Maybe they used heroin or some odd flavoring ingredient to make them addictive.

Offline xtopave

• Q
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2014, 07:18:14 AM »
Maybe they used heroin or some odd flavoring ingredient to make them addictive.

;D ;D

Glutamate most likely.

Irony, I used to LOVE the absolute crap chicken patty sandwiches in the "budget" school lunches. There was a hierarchy, and kids looked down on us kids who couldn't afford the "Subway" subs or "Pizza hut" pizza. poo was still made by high school kids, it was just labeled with a brand name.

When I was in high school (other than the real meals that I seldom eat IDKW bc they were good) there were only 3 types of sandwiches: ham & cheese, mortadella & cheese and salami & cheese. All in French bread. You could get tired of eating that very quickly so we used to go to an ice cream parlor (a block away from school) and we had ice cream or sundaes for lunch. And yet I didn't use to gain weight. Ha! Youth!  ::)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 07:29:53 AM by xtopave »