Author Topic: Not Hot Dogs.  (Read 6539 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Not Hot Dogs.
« on: May 17, 2014, 01:01:08 AM »
I've been on my own, sans car. I could go to 7-11, or buy a burrito at sombreros, but that's both expensive and unhealthy.

So I've been eating hot dogs. And I'm bless'ed sick of them. The milk went sour, so mac and cheese is right out.

So I checked the fridge. Got about 2/3 of a pound of browned ground meat. Not quite enough to use the can of sloppy Joe mix. Originally this meat was cooked up for burritos, but I'm out of beans, and I don't feel like preparing rice.

buuuuuuuut, I could slap an 8 ounce can of tomato sauce, hit it with two tablespoons of bbq sauce, and simmer that poo up.

So I did. Then I toasted some bread and slapped some Gouda on the sandwich.

When I make seconds, I might turn the toasted bread into garlic bread, but aside from that, the sandwich was great. A mix of sweet and savory, it was anything but another bless'ed hot dog.

I suppose if you wanted to make things a bit less processed, you could just put some brown sugar in the tomato sauce and get a similar effect.

Failed my own challenge though, wanted to try and use up some Tabasco sauce that's edging towards the expiry date. Maybe I'll make rice tomorrow, if the sun will kindly golly OFF.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: Not Hot Dogs.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 05:18:40 AM »
I'm glad to see you cutting down on your sodium nitrite intake.  That stuff'll kill you for sure.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline xtopave

• Q
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 11:33:29 AM »
Tabasco sauce that's edging towards the expiry date.

Meh, tabasco sauce doesn't really expire.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 06:23:23 PM »
I've seen Tabasco turn black before.

As to the hot dogs, I'll eat maybe a pack a year. I bought them for while mom is away for the weekend, and I didn't want to use the stove/oven while it's hot as hell.

I would have got burgers, but meat is almost on parity with gasoline here, and a box of frozen burgers is seven dollars right now. Plus I'd have to go to Vons to get fresh meat.

Eh, if I get the stupid craving for hot dogs again I'll buy sausage instead, throw it in a sandwich roll.

I should have just bought salad mix, I always like a salad. But we recently had a produce situation go horribly rotten and I had to clean the fridge out, so I was a bit wary of produce.

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 07:50:58 PM »
you can still make mac and cheese with sour milk, tastes just fine. If milk went sour in our house we would make cookies or corn bread or cakes.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 01:14:42 AM »
when I say the milk went bad, I mean it became a violation of the Geneva conventions.

Not sure how, it was only like 1,2 days past the sell by.

Actually, that isn't true. I know EXACTLY how it went bad. Roommate turned the fridge down. Swore up and down he didn't, but he did.

I turned it up to get it to match the thermometer safe zone, but the top shelf of the fridge is freezing up now.

bless'ed FOOD SCIENCES!

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 10:05:45 PM »
Did you check to see if the freezer is able to have air ventilated  properly?  I think some refrigerators need to circulate the air in the freezer to keep the fridge portion cold and if there's too much stuff shoved into the freezer compartment, the air can't circulate and the fridge won't get as cold as you'd like.  It's a terrible design and one that I'm constantly battling myself as we like to store stuff in the freezer, but it's not molecularly transparent--one real drawback of food.