Author Topic: Canned Roast Beef.  (Read 3311 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Canned Roast Beef.
« on: May 23, 2014, 11:00:34 AM »
I could have sworn I already made a thread about this, but apparently not.

Canned roast beef is one of the nastiest things I've ever looked at. The globs of fat it's packed in, and the smell are atrocious.

I'm pretty sure I've  mentioned mixing it up with some bbq sauce and bringing the heat up until it's thoroughly cooked, but today I cooked it on it's own. Was a bit messy seperating it by hand, but once it was all strung up into neat little bits, I brought the heat up in the frying pan and set it aside in a bowl.

Then I mixed three eggs and a tablespoon of sour cream, the last of both, with a bit of cheddar.

Popped those in the little frying pan and chopped the poo out of it. Then I diced up a bit of avocado I still had lying around, and topped it all with salsa.

I've made many omelettes with ground beef, but it's never impressed me. The canned roast beef? Today it impressed me.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: Canned Roast Beef.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 04:33:53 PM »
You did mention it once before here:

http://www.diasfora.co.uk/index.php/topic,4258.msg251073.html#msg251073

It all sounds very good but as I'm an undernourished pescetarian, it's all a little above my head.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline townie2

• Neandertal
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 04:56:50 PM »
i bought a can of it once, opened it, looked at it, smelled it, threw it in the garbage  :-\

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 05:00:42 PM »
That sounds pretty good.

I've tried canned corn beef hash before but it doesn't taste the same like it does at the diner.

I also made a omelette today but it was veggie one with shiitake mushrooms tomatoes.

Offline townie2

• Neandertal
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 05:35:11 PM »
canned corn beef is actually good, makes a decent, fast hash with potatoes and onions, like you say, but that canned beef chunks i had, was in some sort of weird fat/gel combo and looked plain nasty.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 05:03:43 PM »
I think that they pack it in fat so it will last longer. It isn't particularly difficult to separate, and you save a LOT of money over buying one of those pulled pork/pulled beef packages. I'll have to price out the difference.

Corn beef hash is a whole nother can of meat. My dad loved it, and I used to, but I don't particularly care for it now.

Maybe I should give it another chance, and come up with another one of my kitchen panic! recipes :P

Offline townie2

• Neandertal
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 06:57:22 AM »
Hereford brand is by far the best canned corned beef, if its available there (i believe its from Argentina).

Offline xtopave

• Q
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 08:02:23 AM »
Hereford brand is by far the best canned corned beef, if its available there (i believe its from Argentina).

It's Brazilian.
Brazil is the second largest producer on beef after US. Yet the Brazilian beef you find in any given Brazilian butcher shop is pretty much impossible to eat.
I guess the only way to make Brazilian beef edible is treating it with high doses of salt, sugar and nitrates before heating it up to more than 200 C for while.
Now fresh Brazilian pork products are excellent.