Author Topic: Glass in ice cream?  (Read 3568 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Glass in ice cream?
« on: June 08, 2014, 01:51:21 AM »
I've always figured the people who madam about dangerous stuff in their food planted it, but I was just eating some Ben & Jerry's Scotchy Scotch Scotch ice cream, and the last spoonful had particles like glass in it.

I'm not sure if this stuff is actually glass, or how much of it I might have inadvertently eaten.

I probably won't be buying Ben & Jerry's again.

should I keep these particles somewhere?

Roommate knocked the container over when I asked him to look at it, so now the poo is in the carpet.

golly.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: Glass in ice cream?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 11:36:40 AM »
Maybe your roomie planted the glass and now has conveniently and cleverly disposed of the evidence. 

He's going up in my estimations.  Not for trying to kill you, you understand.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 09:19:34 PM »
 Would write ben and jerry about it. So they can investigate and find out what happend. If you can take a picture of it or ask them if they would like for you to send it to them.

Your post made me think of the oz eps. Where they feed this guy crushed up glass in his food everyday until it cuts up his insides and then he dies a painful death.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 09:55:59 PM »
That is indeed odd.  Are you sure it's not crystalized sugar?  Here's the ingredients.

http://www.benjerry.com/flavors/scotchy-scotch-scotch-ice-cream

No scotch, but Corn Syrup is in it.  WTF?  I guess I'm not so tempted to buy their ice cream any more, glass particles or not. 

You certainly should contact them about this.  As far as I know, butterscotch is merely caramelized sugar.  I scanned the How We Make Ice Cream series here and there seems to be no glass involved in the process.  Given it's packaged in paper cups, I'm not sure how glass would get in there, but maybe someone can give you a reasonable explanation if you call them.  http://www.benjerry.com/flavors/how-we-make-ice-cream

http://www.benjerry.com/about-us/contact-us

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 10:43:12 PM »
I was surprised to six that they use corn syrup. A lot of top brands do expect for haagan Diaz sp?

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 02:03:03 AM »
I am now hoping it was crystalized sugar.

Roommate slapped the spoon so that the particles would fall in the carpet. I think he was just being dickish, not murderish.

For dinner tonight, we had macaroni and cheese, he bitched that we never eat healthy. I retorted that he eats mayonaise and hot sauce sandwiches, he grumbled off to the yard.

I don't think I'm internally bleeding, so I'm writing this off as a freak out.

That being said, I stopped buying Breyers ice cream when they replaced dairy with gum. And the gits have the balls to advertise that their products are "all natural".

considering they put corn syrup in bread, it's pretty bless'ed hard to escape.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 07:03:53 AM »
You could always eat some cotton wool (best in a sandwich) if something happens to make you worry.

It should have "passed" by now anywho.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline xtopave

• Q
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 12:51:33 PM »
I shouldn't have read this thread from bottom to top: it was a bit difficult to understand why smokester was offering a cotton wool sandwich.  :D

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 05:03:15 PM »
Arnold and a few other brands don't have corn syrup in some of their breads.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 05:42:39 PM »
There are many excellent breads for sale in Cali that are corn syrup free.  I recommend Dave's Killer Breads.  He's an ex-con that saw the light and used breadmaking to turn his life around.  The bread is fabulous.

I do think you encountered some kind of undissolved sugar, or, it could have been granular salt.  Salt is used to lower the temp of ice in making ice cream, but I don't know if it's used for industrially processed products.  It's hard to find ice cream that does not have such fillers as carageenan or agar agar, or similar fillers.