Author Topic: Burri- [frying pan is in use] BURGERS!  (Read 2863 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Burri- [frying pan is in use] BURGERS!
« on: July 02, 2014, 10:14:06 PM »
Mom is away. Mom likes to cook things very simply, with no seasoning or marination. Her salads are great, but she is a nightmare with a frying pan.

She also tends to insist on making dinner. Even though she despises cooking.

So I mixed this seasoning up:

http://www.food.com/recipe/taco-seasoning-budget-friendly-seasoning-for-tacos-burritos-166030

I was going to make burritos because we have a massive surplus of tortillas. (Mom bought a 25 pack) [She often forgets her glasses]

Unfortunately, the roommate is using the big frying pan, and I am not going to cook a pound of meat in an omelette pan.

So I plugged in the foreman and turned the meat into spicy burgers. I hit them with some Worcestershire sauce to help combat fluid loss, and tossed them on the grill for eight minutes.

I can probably cut that down to five or six minutes, but I was doing rush kitchen cleanup at the time.

So now I've got a bag of awesome spice mix, and a recipe to go in the personal cookbook.

It was amazing.

Offline xtopave

• Q
Re: Burri- [frying pan is in use] BURGERS!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 05:07:15 AM »
That's very good!! I'd add less cumin though. Not bc I don't like cumin but because it tends to overpower other flavours and it would taste too much like empanada filling to me.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 05:49:10 AM »
Oh, in the entire pound of ground beef I only used one tablespoon of the mix.

poo, I probably should have mentioned that. I'm trying to use up a bag of cumin, so this recipe was great.

I also love an obscene amount of oregano in my burgers, from childhood. Mom never really gave a golly about seasoning, but she tried, occasionally.

It's kind of interesting, using proper recipes, considering.

In particular, the recipe I used notes that when you mix up all the ingredients, it is the equivalent of FOUR taco seasoning packets.

If you read the recipe carefully, it says to use (2 TBs, 1 ts) OR (7 ts) for one pound of ground beef.

I used 1 TBs, because golly math. That was plenty.

Man, poo like this makes me miss dad. I like solving culinary mysteries, but he was a master. bless'ed sage of saving food.

He even dealt with my picky ass. No spaghetti-o's? Toss some cheese in canned spaghetti. On a boat, you've got to be a bless'ed cuisine MASTER.

God I miss the boat. And dad.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 09:42:56 AM »
About the only "seasoned" burgers I remember growing up is to toss a packet of Lipton Onion Soup mix into a lb of ground beef, form patties, cook well done (I love rare to med.-rare steak but my burgers have to be well done, almost to the point of "cajun" style, if you get my meaning), slap on cheese, put on bun, add condiments, put in belly.
--dweez

Offline townie2

• Neandertal
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 02:08:00 PM »
quickie short-cut burritos, first preheat your oven to 350-400 while you  brown some medium or lean hamburger in frying pan with finely diced onion, when cooked, add some store bought canned spaghetti sauce (not enough to make it runny), lower temperature and simmer about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. put burrito bread on aluminum foil (one burrito per sheet), spoon in hamburger with spaghetti sauce the length of the burrito, top with grated cheese (i like old cheddar myself or if desperate, cheese slices), then roll up in the foil and put in oven for approx 15-20 minutes (i rotate it at half time so bottom doesn't get soggy).