Author Topic: Local News  (Read 84377 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Re: Local News
« Reply #270 on: September 28, 2022, 07:51:07 PM »
I've heard that pretty much everyone in Florida can expect a foot of water from the storm. That's... deeply troubling.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #271 on: September 29, 2022, 08:30:26 AM »
Hopefully, your parents will be ok, goldie.  Where are they?

Were in Orlando, made it home safely. was an experience for them though

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #272 on: September 29, 2022, 11:45:00 AM »
It's a relief that your parents were able to get out in time, goldie, as I think Orlando was probably hit pretty heavily and experienced a good deal of flooding.

I've heard that pretty much everyone in Florida can expect a foot of water from the storm. That's... deeply troubling.

A cynical, Republican perspective might suggest that the Federal gov't refuse to give any more aid to people who insist on remaining there, given the frequency of flooding and related hurricane damage.  Give them a one time payout to leave and give this sorry peninsula over to the alligators.  Otherwise, we are just pouring good money after bad.  The place is disaster prone, right, so let all those "limited government" types who populate the place and vote for jerks like DeSantis enjoy a taste of their own medicine.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #273 on: September 30, 2022, 12:52:11 AM »
Speaking of crumbling infrastructure, the cliffs have had it in San Diego.

No more SanD to LosA rail service. Their advice is to either take a bus or rent a car.

Like I said about the foot of water, this is deeply troubling.

We need an Uncorruptable watchdog put on the rail project, a modern day Eliot Ness. Just send the pelosi's straight to bless'ed jail for all the ass grabbing money stealing they've done over the TWO DECADES they've had to get the high-speed rail project going.

The part I've never understood is why they insisted on maintaining CLIFFSIDE rail. Bus people out to East County and run the rail through the empty bless'ed desert. It's not going through the grapevine, so the mountains are not a bless'ed concern.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #274 on: September 30, 2022, 03:01:02 AM »
The "cliffside" rail plan was most likely due to the fact that they want to connect major population centers.  Most of California cities were established when water transport was the main method of communication.  But, yeah, I think of how Rt. 1 near Big Sur is frequently collapsing and cutting off movement due to giant holes in the roadway as the subsoil gives way along the steep surfaces.  The crazy amount of waste in the funds allocated to this high speed rail is stunning.  So it's been sharply curtailed with major portions of the track moved to the Central Valley.  Here's a link to the updated plan via The Guardian.  https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/may/29/california-high-speed-rail-bullet-train

DeSantis voted NO on any aid to NY when Hurricane Sandy caused major problems along the coast.  Now he's got his hand out as governor to "Brandon," the guy he loves to mock and disparage.  I'd call the irony delicious if it didn't make me sick.  I'm sure he'll come up with some disingenuous way to excuse his hypocrisy.  Of course, Biden is making like Father Christmas, assuring the residents of Florida that the Federal government has their backs.  Why?  Because it's the decent thing to do.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 03:05:51 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #275 on: October 06, 2022, 03:07:05 AM »
The state of California has banned tents in the daytime.
Honestly, as long as they're off the sidewalks I don't give a golly if the homeless have tents.
Now when they throw a sheet on a line up, that's a different thing. They're up to nefarious poo when they do that.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #276 on: October 06, 2022, 10:33:16 AM »
That's interesting.  There are several tents pitched on sidewalks in my neighborhood.  I kind of find it selfish and inconsiderate as there are people in wheelchairs who have to navigate around them and it compresses the pedestrians on sidewalks or, in some cases, forces them to walk in the street.

Still, I will be surprised if this is enforced.  There's several homeless encampments around the city and they're an unholy mess.  Huge amounts of trash piled up and people with no toilet facilities, making do where they are, which is not a great public health practice.

I'm so relieved to hear that poor Elon Musk can finally realize his dream of buying Twitter, though.  Whew!

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #277 on: October 06, 2022, 05:36:52 PM »
Your cops don't periodically destroy the tents with knives and throw them on the garbage truck?

I thought that was general strategy for at least the past 25 years, I've been seeing it sporadically since at least 1995, and I know the city of San Diego does it.

Essentially what happens is the cop rolls up on the tent and tells the vagrant "Vactate. Now." The vagrant predictably says "golly off pig"
Cop pops out his utility knife and slashes the wall of the tent, rendering it garbage.

The vagrant now has five minutes to clear their poo out of the now ruined tent because it's going in the now approaching garbage truck one way or another.

The tent is fed to the maw of the truck, the vagrant is displaced.

Cop goes back to acting like the vagrant is invisible. THE END.

Oh, and legality and civil rights are pretty much ignored because ACTUAL residents just want the homeless to "git gone."

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #278 on: October 06, 2022, 10:40:42 PM »
That's not quite the way it is up here.

Actually, there's significant compassion for those who live in these encampments.  There's considerable effort to give advance warning and to help find shelter beds for the residents, or at least an alternative site.  But they make such an unholy mess.  And they take up residence in places like the parking lot of a children's soccer field where they shoot up drugs and defecate in the open.  The cops are loathe to do much about it until a significant number of complaints build up.  The most recent clearances were done by CalTrans because the encampments were on their property.  I lived in colder climates and this problem just didn't exist because it got too cold for people to live in the open.  The more fortunate live in cars or Winnebagos and they take over whole streets.  If they didn't interfere with local residents or businesses, people would be much more permissive.  My husband got sick of them using the dumpster at his workplace as a toilet.  Some crazy ones with vicious dogs would menace him when he was coming or going at work after hours.  So it's not really a question of some unfortunate innocent people minding their own business.   They often cause real harm.  Sadly, the one really nutty scary guy was found murdered in a field not that far from where my husband works, which was tragic because he was obviously mentally ill and suffering.  Sometimes I take boxes of food to these encampments, but I feel like I'm not really helping.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #279 on: October 06, 2022, 11:04:20 PM »
They broke the lock on our dumpster so they could use it as a toilet.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #280 on: October 07, 2022, 05:50:28 AM »
NOT nice and very dangerous.
ATM local paths being ripped up so someone can install internet cables, Guess its Sky ? but unsure.
Working nights I have been without sleep for a few days with the noise.
But worse when daughter came home from her work, the leching and looks and comments truly deserves a few words and reported them on Social media for what they are.
Had a visit and all sorted  ???

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #281 on: October 08, 2022, 10:17:02 AM »
NOT nice and very dangerous.
ATM local paths being ripped up so someone can install internet cables, Guess its Sky ? but unsure.
Working nights I have been without sleep for a few days with the noise.
But worse when daughter came home from her work, the leching and looks and comments truly deserves a few words and reported them on Social media for what they are.
Had a visit and all sorted  ???

It's high speed fibre no doubt. We've had just about every street done and huge inconvenience to road users. That said, I'm up for a 3 gigabit connection!

Ok, I'll probably opt for the 300 megabit plan...
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #282 on: October 20, 2022, 09:29:42 AM »
Wow.  What is it that Malcolm Tucker said?  Something to the effect of "if you have to resign in a few weeks, it's because we screwed up, but if you have to resign after a year, well, that's on you."

Any thoughts about the PM you have "enjoyed" for the last six weeks and related insights into what the Conservatives may have been thinking?  What's next?

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #283 on: October 20, 2022, 09:58:39 AM »
Wow.  What is it that Malcolm Tucker said?  Something to the effect of "if you have to resign in a few weeks, it's because we screwed up, but if you have to resign after a year, well, that's on you."

Any thoughts about the PM you have "enjoyed" for the last six weeks and related insights into what the Conservatives may have been thinking?  What's next?
WHAT PM  ;D ;D Never up to the job, last nights Vote on fracking and the bullying ( plus MP'S lying ) killed her off

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #284 on: October 20, 2022, 11:14:09 AM »

I think I've seen Truss speaking as PM 3 times while in office. She may as well have "worked from home" without the use of a communications device. Hang on .. I think that what she did.

It's interesting that the general feeling is that "normal service has resumed" and the Tories are all just pure evil. Boris, for all his failings, managed to grow wings on demand and people warmed to him. He won a staggering majority and there isn't a Tory MP alive that could replicate that. It was all quite confusing, to be honest.

Now it's clear: Tories = bad, every other party = less bad.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.