Author Topic: Current Events  (Read 38984 times)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: Current Events
« Reply #180 on: March 12, 2021, 04:06:16 PM »
I'm sure she's fun to talk to, although she sounds like she's good at her job and probably knows when to keep her mouth shut.

She is a barrel of laughs and one of my dearest friends.

What I find odd about Harry is that it is he who has tripped up the most in matters of race, but he made no mention of this while supporting that some in his family have made racist remarks.

Starts with the man in the mirror, mate.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #181 on: March 14, 2021, 06:06:43 AM »
Huge goings-on on Clapham Common last night:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/03/13/sarah-everard-vigil-news-live-updates-clapham-common-reclaim/

But can I just say something that is not being reported and that is last Monday an alert was issued for SW11 (where I live) and SW15 about an outbreak of the South African variant in the areas. Residents from these postal areas were asked to voluntarily get tested with the aim to stop this dangerous variant spreading. The Common kind of bleeds into SW11 and is partly bordered by it so with this in mind, did it make the best sense to have hundreds of people huddled together for whatever purpose.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #182 on: March 14, 2021, 10:12:15 AM »
That's pretty scary.  I've read that it's pretty resistant to the AstraZeneca vaccine, which is disturbing, particularly since they are planning to start passing that one out around here.  I am still scheduled for part 2 of Pfizer, but my husband may not be so lucky.  I guess any vaccine is better than none, but still, these mutant strains are really worrying.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #183 on: March 15, 2021, 08:06:47 AM »
MMMMMMM have seen the social media videos ref The Clapham common vigil, didnt look good.
Poss. the MET should have warned them about the S,A, variant ????

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #184 on: March 15, 2021, 12:10:34 PM »
MMMMMMM have seen the social media videos ref The Clapham common vigil, didnt look good.
Poss. the MET should have warned them about the S,A, variant ????

I'm truly surprised that no one is mentioning it. Regardless of what happened on Saturday, I personally don't want hundreds of people massing in my area for a hug-in.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-56353523

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #185 on: March 31, 2021, 01:56:11 PM »
Working from home has me working from my dining table which has three computers, a large (well, not by Smokes's standards, but you know what I mean) screen and a laser printer on, as well as multiple keyboards, mice, pens paper etc. Whilst on a Skype call on one computer (a PC, with wired headphones) I turned and the headphone wire knocked my coffee over. And the whole cupful went into my Powerbook. (My prime works machine). Oops.

I now have the world's prettiest house brick. Fortunately I have backups up the ying yang and two other computers (see above): but for the moment it does mean that I am condemned to using a (spit) PC for work.

Now that was a bit silly, wasn't it.

Lesson here is to always use your Star Trek mug when drinking coffee near electronic whatnots.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #186 on: March 31, 2021, 02:36:57 PM »
Working from home has me working from my dining table which has three computers, a large (well, not by Smokes's standards, but you know what I mean) screen and a laser printer on, as well as multiple keyboards, mice, pens paper etc. Whilst on a Skype call on one computer (a PC, with wired headphones) I turned and the headphone wire knocked my coffee over. And the whole cupful went into my Powerbook. (My prime works machine). Oops.

I now have the world's prettiest house brick. Fortunately I have backups up the ying yang and two other computers (see above): but for the moment it does mean that I am condemned to using a (spit) PC for work.

My condolences.  The worst damage I ever incurred was from spilling water on a wired Mac Keyboard, but only the keyboard died.  It was attached to an Imac, so the machine itself was unaffected.  Had to get a new keyboard, though. 

My fun day included my husband neglecting to remove a roller ball pen from his pants in a load of light colored laundry.  So now he has beige socks with streaks of black ink, and has managed to splash ink on several items of clothing.  I should have gone to investigate when I kept hearing the clanging in the dryer.  We had to wipe the interior free of ink by using isopropyl alcohol.  I tried to remove ink from a teeshirt with the alcohol (which often works well on ballpoint ink) but it merely managed to smudge it.  Nice big black dots on a white shirt.  Fun times.  There was little acrimony, however, as I had managed to wash a gate remote in a pair of pants a few months back.

The moral is to check all pockets before washing.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 02:44:38 PM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #187 on: April 01, 2021, 12:36:46 AM »
Working from home,  Are you not covered by your works insurance for this and any other injuries that may occur, appreciate that this concept was kind of rushed through last year and why it was rushed but surely H&S risk assessments were required eventually ?
A lot more home injuries from people using pc's wrongly set up etc are now coming to light (how there not set up according to requirements )
Could be the next cold calling phone call ??

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #188 on: April 01, 2021, 05:54:50 AM »
How have you kept the PB in service for so long? We had to retire mom's G4 when the internet got fucky, since it maxed out at Tiger.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #189 on: April 01, 2021, 11:17:54 AM »
Maybe he meant MacBookPro? 

I had a G4 Powerbook and it had so many problems that Apple finally threw up their hands and gave me a brand new MacbookPro (the first series) instead.  That was after I'd owned the G4 for a year.  The MacbookPro won't power up any longer, probably a battery issue.  I had an earlier Powerbook that is also a brick most likely because the battery also died.  My oldest, still functional, Mac is a Powerbook 92.  With a 256 Mb HD, I save it in order to read floppy discs.

chris, you can always blame it on a pet cat or some other act of nature.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #190 on: April 02, 2021, 08:43:24 AM »
I have an external USB floppy drive, too.  But it used to work with the G3 Powerbook that is now a brick (dead battery).  I don't know if I can get it to interface with the later models of computer, but I haven't had the occasion to check for a while. 

I suspect some of the floppy discs that I used for storage have a greater capacity than the Powerbook 92 HD.  I also burned lots of stuff to DVDs and CDs as backup.  I noticed several of the movies I had ripped to DVD are not playing well if at all, which makes me wonder if the chemicals embedded in the DVDs are breaking down and threatening the integrity of the data stored on them. A good deal of technology is ephemeral and not really a great choice for archival storage.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #191 on: April 03, 2021, 12:29:16 AM »
Happy Easter ALL
hope you stay safe and chill

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #192 on: April 03, 2021, 03:36:16 PM »
Happy Easter ALL
hope you stay safe and chill

Chilled and well fed. Thank God lent is over, eh.

Yeah, right. Like I fast ...

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #193 on: April 03, 2021, 05:30:46 PM »
Happy Easter!

I hope you have a relaxing holiday.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #194 on: April 04, 2021, 12:48:41 AM »
Happy Easter!
I hope you have a relaxing holiday.
Busy working out a new patio in the garden  :-\
Chilled and well fed. Thank God lent is over, eh.

Yeah, right. Like I fast ...

;D ;D