Author Topic: Current Events  (Read 38991 times)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: Current Events
« Reply #270 on: September 08, 2022, 12:16:37 PM »
Couldn't have come at a worse time, in my opinion. Can't see how pubs, theatres and the like can close as the economy is shot! No comedy for 12 days just when I needed a laugh as the pubs may be closed.

Maybe I'm just being selfish. She was a dear old bird, after all.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #271 on: September 08, 2022, 06:13:01 PM »
I understand your frustration.  Televised funerals used to interrupt Sat morning cartoons when I was a child.  But I guess these rites of passage must be universally acknowledged.

It's sad, but not unexpected, that she would pass away. 

We are dealing with crazy heat that has been bearing down on us for days on end and making us lethargic and uncomfortable.  We don't have air conditioning, just some fans strategically placed.

I like to think of the Queen driving an ambulance or scaring the bejesus out of world leaders who were her passengers as she drove them around.  She was not without a sense of humor.  And you could count on her to have a marmalade sandwich in her handbag.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #272 on: September 08, 2022, 07:27:55 PM »
I forgot about the restrictions you'll face. Do they pull the money and stamps immediately, or is there a transition period?
As to the no comedy for 12 days, that seems really off. I mean the times we live in aren't much fun, but to flat out codify "no laughter, no smiles" seems a bit forced.

As to the pubs being closed, I remember sorely wanting a drink during a hurricane, but my aunt had zapped away the entire bottle I had earmarked for the event. (Liquor never lasted long in her house) and the state had restricted sales of alcohol for the duration.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #273 on: September 08, 2022, 09:07:26 PM »
I never knew there were such restrictions. I also don't know the protocol here. Do I give my condolences for a state funeral? I know here in the states a high level politician passing away would barely make a blip.

That said, I am sorry for your and your countries loss. As has been said, she did seem to be a good, delightful person.
--dweez

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #274 on: September 09, 2022, 05:09:21 AM »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #275 on: September 09, 2022, 10:32:41 AM »
Truss must be spitting feathers that someone else stole her thunder. Good time for sneaking out bad news, though: no-one will notice for a month.

On the plus side, there's the nice photo op of her with the Queen, an event that has most likely doubled in value now, given the circumstances.  That has to be worth a bit in terms of bestowing a bit of legitimacy on her service as PM.  From what I've seen so far, she's going to need all the help she can get.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #276 on: September 10, 2022, 05:51:31 AM »
The handover of the monarchy
The only thing that's faster than light

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #277 on: September 10, 2022, 12:17:06 PM »
Personally, I think she won the game. If I go peacefully in my sleep at the age of 96, I hope to God the people I know celebrate not mourn. Mind you, If I live that long the chances are everyone I know will have already passed.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #278 on: September 10, 2022, 08:42:41 PM »
That's the sad thing about aging:  having to witness the demise of your friends, one by one.  That's assuming you outlive most of them.  If you made it to 96, that would most likely be the case.  My grandmother was so saddened by the passing of my grandfather that she pretty much lost the will to live.  She was so lonely and depressed.  They were both in their late 80's, and most of their friends, and several of their children and siblings had died.  She languished for a couple of years afterwards until she also passed away.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #279 on: September 11, 2022, 12:05:49 AM »
My grandmother was so saddened by the passing of my grandfather that she pretty much lost the will to live.  She was so lonely and depressed.  They were both in their late 80's, and most of their friends, and several of their children and siblings had died.  She languished for a couple of years afterwards until she also passed away.
I think that's what has happened there

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #280 on: September 19, 2022, 08:41:02 AM »
I didn't think that the queen's funeral today would interest me much, but I found myself glued to it and quite mesmerised.

Without question, it's really something to behold.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #281 on: September 19, 2022, 09:30:03 AM »
Queen's funeral? When is that?

My husband had it on tv when I woke up.  I prefer to be awake for funerals, so I'm going to go get some more caffeine and get dressed.  Have a good day.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #282 on: September 19, 2022, 09:39:51 AM »
Queen's funeral? When is that?

You're mentioned so often I'd have thought you were well briefed beforehand.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #283 on: October 15, 2022, 04:26:36 PM »
Is it my imagination, or is Liz Truss acting out episodes of "The Thick of It?"  Whatever she's doing, it makes for great political theatre.  I'm waiting for her to announce the "self eating cake" as her next new economic plan, should she last long enough to effectuate it.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #284 on: October 15, 2022, 10:15:06 PM »
Is it my imagination, or is Liz Truss acting out episodes of "The Thick of It?"  Whatever she's doing, it makes for great political theatre.  I'm waiting for her to announce the "self eating cake" as her next new economic plan, should she last long enough to effectuate it.
If it wasn't so important, I would laugh until I cried.
I though B was a interesting character but Truss has no character and no idea..
To give J,Hunt the keys to he chancellery, is like give locking a child in a sweet shop what with his past history of money scandals  :o :o :o :o