Author Topic: One S  (Read 12113 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
One S
« on: June 14, 2016, 11:47:12 PM »
So apparrently this console cycle is like how windows customers used to wait for the service packs?

The original presentation of the xbone was unpalatable. They were going to make game disks into one time install media, and they wanted you to be connected to the internet whenever you gamed. I play some mmo's, but I like playing solo games solo.

And the "required" kinnect. Look, shitty cameras have been an accessory since the game boy camera in 1998. I believe the 360 had a camera that didn't sell so hot. I used the ps2 webcam back when. Y main computer was a g4 powerbook.

But a mandatory part of the platform? Sucka please.

Anyway, gamestop is phasing out 360 games, same as they phase out other platforms. So I am considering the One S. If anyone here has one, I'd like to hear the negative points of the console.

Thanks.

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
Re: One S
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 05:16:49 AM »
The Xbox One S 2TB Console @ $399.00? - 1TB @ $349.99 - 500GB @ $299.99

Released on August 31, 2016

My gal wants one but when I think about the price of games I try to discourage her. I can get a Steam key for Doom at G2A.com for $32.40. You won't find it for a console for under $59.99.

I set up my old gaming PC for her and opened a Steam account but I can't get her to use it.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 09:43:56 AM by brickbatz »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 10:31:16 PM »
Found my con. They're redesigning the system to challenge sony, who are also redesigning their system. 2 year increments sound great from a technological and sales side argument. As a customer? golly that poo.  Maybe I'll buy the twoxbox or the playstatio n sphere.

The constant chase on hardware is a bless'ed undue burden on gamers. I've never played the uncharted series because $400 was enough for me to spend on a console generation.

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 10:40:43 PM »
I'm going with the ps4.  Probably programmed in me to stay with Playstation since I had the original at 11.  So, maybe if Atari comes back I'd go that way.

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 11:22:15 PM »
I can't afford console games. It's usually $60.00 for a game you can finish in ~12 hours.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 01:34:40 AM »
PS2 was kind of a letdown, was why I jumped to 360. I buymy games used.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 02:14:24 AM »
One of my saddest days is when someone broke in and stole my Neo Geo and the complete set of games (I used to do some work for SNK and they gave me it). 

I've never owned a console since.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 12:21:33 PM »
Holy poo! If I remember, SNK Carts were insanely expensive even when they were a "current" system.

I really loved the kof animations for the fighters. In the ancient days of 2005 I used to make avatars from the attack sprites. Nowadays I struggle with mspaint :P

I remember a pizza place and a mexican food place near a childhood home both had snk machines, which leaves weird glitches in my memory.

I could certainly see being put off from something like that. With the console updates I think these quick release updates are an attempt to "stop the bleeding" while they rush development on the new machines, which may lead to exciting hardware failures like designing the launch 360 like a bless'ed inhale and calling it "visionary". I certainly had a word for that "designer" but it wasn't "visionary".

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 03:59:09 PM »
Holy poo! If I remember, SNK Carts were insanely expensive even when they were a "current" system.

I really loved the kof animations for the fighters. In the ancient days of 2005 I used to make avatars from the attack sprites. Nowadays I struggle with mspaint :P

I had this system which had cheaper games.

SNK gave me the whole kit and caboodle for helping them market another one of their products. However, Playstation killed them off shortly after their investing in their own new consoles and pretty much everything else went too.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 12:54:12 AM »
I play the same two games for years.  Minecraft and a shooter with a bunch of friends. 
I'm gonna get the kids a Wii.

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 04:17:41 PM »
I'm gonna get the kids a Wii.

My daughter used to love it! Specially Wii Sports. Then she stopped using it when she was about 9 yrs old. We sold it and bought a PS4. Now she alternates between killing people in Call of Duty Something and happily dancing with Just Dance. ::)

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 05:02:58 PM »
^ Love it.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 12:41:13 AM »
I always wanted a tony hawk/gta mashup, they even teased it in gta 4 with an actual skatepark.

Essentially tony hawk physics + uzi + gta pedestrians.

Then again the one time I was going to show mom liberty city, niko decided to perform a shotgun execution rather than the door open/throw driver combo, so she was disgusted.

You can get a used wii fairly cheap, but most of the networking features have been discontinued. Dunno if virtual console is still available, but I do know the game I wanted most for virtual console requires the wii2/ wii u model, which pisses me off.

Also be advised, there will be a 3 way showdown between the big three console producers in 2017, with the wii nx. Or whatever they enc up naming it. I think the original wii was codenamed dolphin.

Specifically, the yoshi's island cart used a custom chipset in the cartridge, produced by a company that ceased to exist, which created a legal hellscape.

Or they were just being bastards.

I did hear they took a hit somewhere between $50 to $250 per cart, but I honestly don't see how that would be economically viable, even when the nintendo seal of approval rendered the snes an extremely walled garden.

Either way, yoshi's island is one of the finest games ever made, and the last christmas gift my dad gave me.

Except for the crying mario baby. I hated that little politician and wanted to throw him into lava.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 12:42:57 AM by 8ullfrog »

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 09:03:03 PM »
A new Wii console costs $209.00 on Amazon. I don't trust used hardware.

Nintendo pulled the plug on their network for the Wii effective May 20, 2014. That means no more online gaming for Wii Mario Kart.

My Wii took a poo and I never did get to play Metroid Prime Trilogy. The disks are still in the fancy metal case.

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2016, 12:29:25 AM »
I played Mario cart online versus a few times, that is fun. 
Thanks brix for the amazon info, I'll be getting it for Christmas and probably in October.