Author Topic: Servio  (Read 3763 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Servio
« on: September 24, 2016, 10:21:13 AM »
I have a Samsung smart tv and would like to figure out how to stream TV shows from the internet via my computer (an older iMac).  I don't have Hulu, Roku, or any of the subscription services, but there is a site I use to access these shows (it's actually a site that serves as a meta search engine with collected links).  Often I'll use vidbull, which is one of the more reliable links.  I've had success in the past with using Servio to access avi files that were on my HD, but I'd rather not download and store the TV shows.  So far I've been stymied in my efforts to use Servio to stream the videos from the online sources to the TV.  Has anyone got any suggestions, or can you link me to a tutorial?  I have looked at Servio's site's Q&A but can't figure it out.  Normally, the links via vidbull have the regular url with a specific link appended to it.  I can find no way to get the Samsung to acknowledge the network on the iMac, although, like I said earlier, in the past, I've been able to stream videos on the harddrive there.

Any advice would be much appreciate as we get tired of watching tv from chairs in front of my desk.  I have an old Roku (1st generation) and a second generation AppleTV, but my experiments with those went nowhere.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: Servio
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 05:17:27 AM »
I messed around with various techniques to stream from my laptop to my TV (even RF), but in the end I opted for a HDMI lead and an extension.

I have a wireless keyboard so I still slump on the couch and operate my laptop remotely.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline tarascon

• Cro-Magnon
  • Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 06:50:02 AM »
I'm sure that you've checked here but just in case:
Estragon: I can't go on like this.
Vladimir: That's what you think.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 01:35:24 PM »
Thanks, smokes.  I could  use the HDMI option if everything else fails.  And t, I've been able to stream avi and mp4 files from the HD, but never succeeded in getting online streaming set up, hence the question.  The guy in this video shies away from discussing that, and he's on a PC, although I do appreciate the suggestions.

The Apple TV should work, but it doesn't.  I don't know if it's a problem with the Samsung interface (they want you to subscribe to their own media services) or an incompatibility with the network.  The Roku has a beard because it's so old, so that's another kettle of fish.  I guess I'll just keep on futzing with it until I get it sorted.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 12:08:24 AM »
can you not right click on the movie file and "cast" to whatever your TV name is ?
have done this and also tried Windoze media player to wirelessly connect to the tv.
It worked for me although did crass out a few times

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 12:21:37 AM »
I've been able to stream files, just not live feeds from the web to the TV.  Sitting in office chairs to watch shows on the computer gets old.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats