Author Topic: Firefox hijacked on Demonoid main site  (Read 2734 times)

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
Firefox hijacked on Demonoid main site
« on: October 10, 2016, 01:49:01 PM »
I got a redirect with audio telling me Microsoft was blocking my PC if I didn't call them and talk so their engineers could walk me through getting rid of the malware. Do not close the window OR ELSE! messages are a bad joke... assholes. The only way I could close Firefox was with the Task Manager. When I opened it again I got the same poo. Ran Malwarebytes and it found some malware and removed it. I'm back to normal now but I won't be using the main site. I wouldn't recommend turning off your ad blocker on the main site until this is sorted.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 02:18:20 PM by brickbatz »

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: Firefox hijacked on Demonoid main site
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 03:18:14 PM »
That's bent up.

I can't access any of the file sharing sites with any browser other than Tor. I would hope that would have some level of protection against this poo but now I'm afraid to try. It's tempting, though.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 03:41:29 PM »
I cleared my cache and cookies. Now I can't log in without getting that hijacked page. They threaten to report you to the cyber threat something or other if you close the page without complying. I tried uninstalling/installing Firefox but same, same. For me the site is broken. I haven't tried a different browser yet. :-\

* After a bunch of fking around I was able to log in the fora with the Microsoft Edge browser. Even then I had to keep closing redirected pages. Just trying to enter a password opened other pages.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 04:14:18 PM by brickbatz »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 12:30:43 AM »
The solution really would be to divorce the site and fora, but I sincerely doubt anything of the sort would ever happen.

Those ads are sadly, the way of the present.

All the assholes and scumbags are playing catch up, like how google thinks music in a seperate tab is somehow a feature worth ten dollars a month, and won't take no for an answer.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 12:59:17 AM »
I also had a similar page- your pc is infected etc etc, didnt get this page though.
Using their .me site i only get a single p[op up then nothing. I use Chrome though

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 12:40:26 AM »
Using Chrome with Adguard and see no ads.  I occasionally encounter those annoying ads with streaming tv sites and on occasion have had to shut down the computer to get rid of them.  They're horribly invasive and annoying.  And I thought Firefox was supposed to be better in terms of security than most browsers.  Guess not.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 02:38:22 PM »
I used my roommates computer the other day, I was going to dump my ipod onto the hard drive and send the music to my phone, but sharepod isn't free anymore, and finding version 3.98 was beyond my google fu. That search is riddled by virus laden "software download repositories". Oldversion didn't have it.

So I gqve up and just deleted duplicate songs in itunes.

Point is, I went on demonoid with no adblock and couldn't remember my login info, but I got no redirect ads, and no pop ups! It was like the good old days of the internet.

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 05:54:29 PM »
Yeah, I reckon it's been fixed. I turned on ABP again and it still works.

I don't download much from Demonoid though. For PC games I use [edited by dweez: No links like this please.].

They have about everything Demonoid does. Movies, TV, games, music, apps...

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 06:12:04 PM »
Heed the dweez friendo.