Author Topic: Tourist poo.  (Read 2139 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Tourist poo.
« on: April 25, 2017, 07:08:31 PM »
I had to go downtown to fill out some paperwork this morning, and I was done by noon. Museums in San Diego are free to residents on alternating Tuesdays,  and today it was the aerospace and automotive museums. I think an art one was also free, but two museums was enough for me.

Honestly? I was a little disappointed. The automotive museum was about half the size of a target store, and the information was more geared around where they found the cars than what the actual cars had. I've enjoyed myself more at a trade show than at the automotive museum, poo, I've had more fun at a boat show.

The centerpiece was http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/34046 and it's a fairly impressive vehicle, with some pretty neat mods.

The aerospace museum was a little better, but I'm honestly giving it that grade for the apollo 9 command module. A lot of the aerospace museum was kiosk driven, which I'm not a huge fan of, but it does free up a lot of space. Once again, a lot of information is omitted, and there were a lot of small scale models rather than actual aircraft. I think the midway honestly eats the air and space museums lunch.

At both museums, "premium" sections were blocked off to us peons. At the automotive museum, it was just black curtains, so I'll save you from the mystery. Cop car, humvee, ambulances. The premium stuff in the aerospace museum was behind a wall, but it looks like an astronaut experience for kids, some flight sims running crap games instead of actual sims, and a third thing I wasn't sure what it was.

Honestly, if you're touristing San Diego, I'd say hit the Zoo, Hit the Midway, maybe one of the cheaper hornblower trips out of the harbor, like whale watching, the always lovely beaches, and local food.

Oh, and I guess if you've got the time, you could walk that whole waterfront, the midway is at one end, it goes by the star of india, and you've got your choice of overpriced gift shops. They closed the three restaurants in the middle, so I dunno what they did there. I know the city were bless'ed dicks about pulling their lease. Anthony's was no big loss, and I never bothered with the overpriced steak place, but the window shop to the left of Anthony's had great burgers, and for a tourist area it was affordable.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: Tourist poo.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 09:57:23 PM »
Balboa Park, where the automotive museum is located, is supposed to be worth a visit in itself.

There's some fine architecture in the San Diego area, including important works by Julia Morgan and Irving Gill.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 12:37:48 AM »
Yeah, kinda bent up there, one of the most beautiful places in the world.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 04:35:18 PM »
During the week all the museums here are filled with school trips and the accompanying parents.

I'm usually one of them so I can't really complain. Must be a real piss off for the tourists, tho'.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 01:16:58 AM »
love a good museum :)
Leicester is pretty poor considering the heritage and mixed diversity of people that live here.
One of the best is the Pitt river museum oxford https://www.prm.ox.ac.uk/ almost Harry Potter in its sheer amount of oddities crammed together.
There is also a good medical museum around the same area, frightening thins to view and learn.

In Wales I went reluctantly to https://museum.wales/bigpit/ The Bit Pit an old coal mine.
It was a great and touching experience, to go into a coal pit and then read about the incidents that happened their :'( :'( I can see why the mining Unions had to be so strong with the management practices going on