Author Topic: Taking a knee.  (Read 6863 times)

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
Re: Taking a knee.
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2017, 06:20:21 PM »
Aww, poor downtrodden football players.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2017, 09:05:23 PM »
Yeah, it didn't work. Viewership is down 33%.

Smokes has the right of it, Americans were watching football to get away from the political cowpoo, and clearly don't approve of this development.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2017, 04:36:28 PM »
I think the NFL has been in decline for a generation, in part, because young people are averse to any kind of entertainment that takes that long.  The severe brain injuries aren't helping.  There was an extreme football league that was floated as a marketing device aimed at a younger demographic in 2001 but it didn't really go anywhere.   

Those die hard fans who watch for sports entertainment are not typically the sort to embrace the kinds of political statements that are considered "liberal" or left.  That said, I'd like to see VP Pence get madam slapped hard for wasting taxpayer money to go to Indiana just to shun a football game in order to back up the toddler in the White House.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 04:38:13 PM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline Alfonz

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2017, 08:50:52 AM »
Pence is from Indiana, both he and the 2nd lady are long time Colts fans.

Looks like the movement is now coming to a close, only 17 players took a knee on Sunday with 13 of those belong to 49ers. Miami and Dallas have both made it mandatory for players to stand while allowing players to remain in the locker room while the national Anthem plays. Others will likely follow suit, which is well within their rights as private businesses are not subject to the confines of the 1st amendment.

I believe their cause is good and I truly hope these players continue to unite and use their millions to help create change in communities across the US.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2017, 02:39:38 PM »
Pence had no intention of staying for the game, given he was scheduled to go to another event in Los Angeles the same day, and he told his press detail not to come inside, another indication that he did not plan to attend the game.  He's been largely criticized across the board for this stunt.  He can do whatever partisan crap gladdens his corrupt little heart, but please don't do it at my expense.  He was elected to govern, and I'd appreciate it if he'd actually do that.

I don't think much of the Colts after they abandoned Baltimore, but Indiana got what they deserved with those guys.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2017, 03:21:26 PM »
I think the NFL has been in decline for a generation, in part, because young people are averse to any kind of entertainment that takes that long.  The severe brain injuries aren't helping.  There was an extreme football league that was floated as a marketing device aimed at a younger demographic in 2001 but it didn't really go anywhere.   

It's on the up here with dedicated shows on the BBC and Sky, plus regular NFL clashes at Wembley stadium.

I don't think I'll ever be able to talk-the-talk of American football as I wouldn't know where to begin, but at least after this debate I know who Colin Kaepernick is.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2017, 09:24:51 PM »
I'm pretty much hopeless in terms of my general knowledge of football, although I think it bears a distant relationship to soccer.  I have played soccer.  It's fun.  Football is something else entirely and the idea of getting tackled isn't particularly appealing, although from what I've seen on Harry Enfield, soccer also has the capacity for violence.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2017, 11:33:03 PM »
A few presidents back, and before he started his political career, Al Franken said that reality in the news tends to have a liberal bias, and that sports reporting has a massive, yet inconsequential right wing bias. And then he laughed and laughed.

I don't think the point of the initial protest was to damage the brand, but that sure as poo is going to be the outcome.