Author Topic: Food Politics  (Read 3072 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Food Politics
« on: December 20, 2017, 12:07:02 AM »
For the most part, I'm poor, so I don't really have the luxury of using my buying power to effect change. I never ate chik-fuk-lay, so I couldn't throw weight behind that boycot.

I do feel bad about shopping at subway, I always thought Jared was a creepy golly, and I hope none of my money went to support that shitgoblin.

Papa John's? Never liked shittino's pizza.

I do like Little Caesar's though, and they have a pretty good track record for not being shitbags.

I will say that I have only rarely had dominoes pizza. Mom hated the president of the company, and that guy was a shitweasel.

Offline Alfonz

• Homo Erectus
Re: Food Politics
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 06:58:16 AM »
I think if I sought out the roots and subsequent values of every corporation and business, I'd be appalled and quite likely infuriated.  The few that I am aware of, I either support or avoid but I won't spend time finding them. That's my personal hypocrisy via ignorance. 

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 03:58:37 PM »
Uber is awful.  They totally exploit their drivers.  I had to prepare a tax return for one of them once (I was working as a volunteer tax preparer for low income individuals--VITA program) and it was really sad.  Nobody had prepared the woman for putting money aside for Self Employment tax.  She was a recent immigrant who had driven delivery for a Chinese restaurant but then decided to take out a loan to buy the required new car to work for Uber and then made a pittance driving.  I did what I could but she got slammed with a $2500 Self Employment tax bill that she could ill afford.

Many of my friends use their services but I refuse to patronize them on general principle.  I'd rather pay a regular cab driver, knowing that at least they have a chance of making a living.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 04:03:07 PM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 06:09:13 PM »
I didn't know that ... maybe that's why they wanted to unionize?

Offline Alfonz

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 06:55:02 PM »
My Brother drives Uber but he was fully aware that he'd have to pay his taxes at year end. The yearly safety check seems to be a bit over the top IMO, but I suppose they're concerned with their customers. Anyway, it's not my cup of tea but my brother enjoys driving for them. I have used them a couple of times to go out and I do have to say, the experience was much better than the local taxis.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 10:22:12 PM »
I've had great cab drivers and then others not so great.  I'm sure Uber is probably about the same.  What bothers me is the tactic of shoving all the capital expenses onto the employees and scooping money off the top of their earnings.  Uber is a middleman sticking its hands into the pockets of people who get paid less than regular cab companies.  I'm not a big fan of the "sharing economy" because it seems yet another way in which America is being divided into a 2 class society (haves and have nots).  The erosion of the middle class is hastened by such companies.  It's troubling.