Author Topic: Windows upgrade fails.  (Read 4728 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Windows upgrade fails.
« on: December 24, 2017, 12:12:44 AM »
Windows upgrade assistant keeps downloading the fall creators update. Then it tries to install it, and some bless'ed component error pops up at 45%, so it restores the previous version. 1607.

I don't want to go on a google crusade to figure out how to fix this, how do I shoot update assistant in the head?

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
Re: Windows upgrade fails.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 03:34:56 PM »
You can try downloading the update and installing instead of doing the WU update. I've had a lot issues with Win10/Win2016 updates either stalling for hours/failing on downloading the update and/or corrupting the update during download. Now I tend to compare the MD5 hash now to make sure the download isn't corrupted.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/10/17/get-windows-10-fall-creators-update/

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
--dweez

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 10:11:17 AM »
I go here: https://www.microsoft.com/eb-gb/software-download/windows10

... and use the media creation tool.

('cos eb-gb is obvs better than en-us)

Obviously. Please forgive my faux pas. (Wait? Was that just a prayer?)
--dweez

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 02:52:20 PM »
Trying to trick me into answering, huh?

A couple of hail Marys and an Our Father would do him good.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 02:29:50 PM »
Sorry for the necro, but it's doing it again. Same update.

I burned the ISO on my roommates computer, but it fails at the same point every time with the ever  so helpful "component install failure" at 47% or after 2-4 hours.

Then I get to do a recovery install that kicks me back to 1703 Annoying, but it left the computer in a usable state for 1-2 months.

I managed to block the fall creators update for a while by lying and saying I was on a metered Internet connection. Any other workaround, such as disabling windows update in services, mucking around in group policies where I still feel like I don't belong despite being certified in it, (granted, lapsed), or whack a mole process killing did not work.

Update: Microsoft realized people were totally using the metered setting to get around the updates, and decided to kick that door down.

And now the rollback has been removed as an option. The only option I am given is a PC reset, where I am stuck with the highly technical "getting things ready" screen again.

I don't want any of this, I just want to play skyrim.

[UPDATE]
So, the "reset" was just 1703 blanked. Groundhogs day loop. It removed everything, including GTA3 and Skyrim.

so much cursing.

I decided since all my stuff got nuked, I'd just do a clean install with the ISO disk. Turns out, whatever they did unfailed the components, I'm now on 1803. yaaaay.

At least Windows ME just overheated and died, this is a whole different universe of hating the end user.

Instead of Cortana, I've got a rather stupid SHODAN.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 05:51:41 PM by 8ullfrog »