Author Topic: Steamed Meat.  (Read 2664 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Steamed Meat.
« on: November 07, 2018, 08:24:08 PM »
Er, don't? I mean ground hamburger, or mince for you islanders. Don't steam it. Please.

Funny enough, mom bought chipotle stock cubes, so she was able to re-infuse flavor to that sad, sad meat. I did not believe it was possible. I thought you had to hit the meat with flavor BEFORE cooking it, and were SOL post cookage.

But how damn yankee is that? Just boil the flavor out, then serve. Reminded me of KOTH when some weird background character is talking about Tayh-cos. Criiiiiinge.

Anyway, the taco bowls ended up pretty fantastic.

What brought on this sudden culinary experimentation by mom? She watched the Sam the Cooking Guy video on the California burrito. That video is EVIL. first, how he tweaks the purists with his own twist on the whole thing. Mom perked up when he mentioned chipotle sour cream.

But like I said, the video is evil. you want to reach through the screen and steal the burrito from Sam. I like Sam the cooking guy, he seems so displeased to be cooking. Which is way more honest than peppy idiots. While he does a lot of scratch cooking, sometimes he grabs poo out of bags, just like real people! Bagged cheese, Ore-Ida tater tots, bottled soy sauce instead of some crazy hand mixed sauce, it feels like real cooking. Even if his cookware is straight up more than a car. I watch the man spin a chef knife and realize I'll never be that good.

I also liked when he blew his shot at the today show by treating Kathie Lee like the drunk idiot she is.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Re: Steamed Meat.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 09:26:13 PM »
It was the prep. While the liberal amount of grease used by many fast food restaurants may not help with standard digestion, greasing the chute as it were, it was unclean handling that did the deed.

This was one place where my food handling trainer did not joke around. First he made us wash our hands and glove up. Then he had us put our hands in flour, then go about our business. I'm pretty adverse to touching things as it was, so I passed, but SO MANY of the other trainees had white wings down their aprons and around their butts. What is it with butt scratching? DON'T DO THAT. ESPECIALLY IF YOU WORK IN FOOD.

Another no joke moment was when he said that any one of us could kill a baby. Then he cited the facts on food pathogen caused miscarriages. crazy stuff.

And then you're on the job, and the boss wants everything done now, and there isn't time to fill out the logs, and then there isn't time to do the 45 minute temp checks, and then everyone is looking at you like you're the bottom because you're properly gloved when working the meat slicer. (There was a metal mesh glove that you wore over your food handler glove).

I wasn't about to lose any fingers, and I didn't want to cause a dead baby. But somebody had feces on their hands when they were preparing your burrito. Sorry dude.

Or, if you had a drink, it was the fecal matter in the ice machine. bless'ed filthy humans. Screw robot check-out, I want machine sanitized food prep.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 03:35:18 PM »
If there were raw vegetable fillings, like tomato, lettuce, lime juice, or fresh salsa, they could also be culprits via the routes that 8ully suggested.  Fresh vegetables at airports, like prepackaged salads and things like that are never as fresh as they should be and god only knows what the conditions of the prep were like.

Another reason to stay home.

I'm happy to see you back on here.  I'm going to go out and brave the smoke now, as I've been in my apartment for days doing schoolwork and I can't take it any more.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 09:26:43 PM »
Do you think PG&E will actually face consequences this time?

Wow this thread jumped the trail.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 12:02:08 AM »
I heard that the Bay Area has the worst air quality of any city in the world right now.  Walking four blocks to the store & back or watering plants outside for 20 minutes causes me to feel lightheaded.  I'm not getting much air when I breathe because there's too much filth in the air.  It's really grey and visible, smells like smoke, and it causes the temperatures to remain lower than usual.

I feel terrible for those who have lost everything as well as those who've died in these fires.  If PG&E has any responsibility I hope they'll be held liable.  I am amazed that they'd not be more careful after the last spate of fires they caused.  I believe that they have been held responsible for the Camp Fire and the one in the Malibu area.  My relatives there had brush burns up to the area right across the street from their apartment building.  It's a miracle their place didn't burn.  Houses on the next street up the hill did burn to the ground. 

They were evacuated for about a week, and their workplace was closed as well.  Now they're finally allowed back but have no power, so they can bathe but the house is cold as there's no heat.  The firefighters busted their asses to contain this thing.   They're still fighting up north.  I'm praying for wind or rain to take the smoke away.

Classes have been canceled at most area universities through the weekend because of smoke.  It's really pretty awful.  I have a mask to filter out the particulates, but it's a real pain to wear it.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 12:05:38 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2018, 01:12:07 AM »
1000 missing. They closed regular schools too. It's crazy. That concow area had one entrance and one exit, and their rep is saying they may never be able to resettle it.

I'll throw a fire thread up shortly, you want it in General or Chaos?

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2018, 11:50:22 AM »
Wherever you please.  Most of the drama is winding down.  Mostly we're oppressed because it's unsafe to go outside and do normal stuff.  I'm going to a mall today to take a walk because I just can't stand the inactivity.