Author Topic: Stargate: SG-1 - Season 1.  (Read 7306 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Re: Stargate: SG-1 - Season 1.
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2019, 04:41:22 PM »
The tech is all stuff the Goauld stole from a prior civilization - the gate builders. They can reverse engineer like nobody's business, but create nothing.

The agrarian civilizations are the slaves dropped on each planet. That particular Goauld was playing Ant-farm. One thing I don't get, if the nanites could reverse aging, why didn't they lop a few off on 'ol RDA? Probably didn't do it because he'd have to dye his hair.

Later on they run into civilizations forgotten by the Goauld, and they're up to the 40's or the 60's, society wise. Some use blimps because they never had the Hindenburg.

Huh, I guess the Goauld do have more than mining and meatsuits, they have to feed their Jaffa somehow. So Farming is part of their schemes.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2019, 02:59:11 AM »
So we meet Hathor, sort of like Kmart version of Rita Hayworth in Gilda only with special pink breath and worm progeny.  Ick.  So if the special sarcophagus can heal Col. O'Neill of his x pouch, why not throw Teac, the special tape deck guy, in there and see if he can be healed of his lack of immune system and worm guest.

She escapes through the stargate.  Dumb move on the part of the military allowing that to happen.  Thank god the "ladies" had their wits about them.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2019, 03:16:19 PM »
O'neill was a first generation Jaffa, so the effects were reversible. Teal'C was born one. Think of it like selective breeding, how those poor German Shepherds had bad hips slowly creep into their genetic code.

The Nishta is not always gender coded, but a zat blast does clear it out of your system. Hers is actually inferior to modern Nishta. (She was locked up for a couple thousand years)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2019, 04:34:33 PM »
What's a Nishta?

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2019, 04:58:20 PM »
a brainwashing fog. They go into it more in a later episode.

Hathor had the dudes only version. It's entirely possible the other version was available, but her ego had it modified to first come out of the hosts body, and second, only work on dudes.

This is WAY off in the future, but female Jaffa get treated even worse than the male ones.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2019, 01:52:12 AM »
So here's a question.  Do the Gou'alds have lead boots or something?  They stomp around -- "stamp stamp stamp stamp" so that you could hear them coming even if you were profoundly deaf.  What's up with that?

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2019, 03:00:42 AM »
Their armor is pretty solid middle ages, but is significantly more impressive. Their tactics are poo.

The stompy Jaffa patrol is a staple of Goauld doctrine. I imagine their boots are made of non fuel grade naquada. You have mentioned the inefficiencies of the M16 and MP5 against the Jaffa armor, how there is a lot of sparking and it takes almost a full magazine to down a Jaffa. Should... probably take less M16 fire than an MP5, but that's a gun nut level thing, general audiences don't give a flying golly what a gun is chambered in. To them "Hero shoot! Bad guy die! WHY NOT BAD GUY DIE, THIS cowpoo!"

I will say the first time I fired an M4, it scared the poo out of me. Zero recoil, I was firing big boy bullets, and it was entirely too easy. I'm not too hot on gun control, but that was a very, I lack the words but I'll say "Different" experience. My pistol kicked like a mule.

I mentioned it in a different thread, but I hope you catch up soon. There is an episode where SG1 visits a fuhrer bunker, and are under orders to PLAY NICE.

I would imagine in a universe where you are considered as a LITERAL GOD by your servants, and your elite shock troops are used more for murder and shock than small unit tactics and guerilla warfare, you probably let some combat doctrine... slip.

It's a little bit better than how Kirk and Spock always ended up in the drunk tank, and always managed to escape.

My favorite subversion of this trope is in Thor: Ragnarok. Thor and Loki need to get past a guard patrol, Thor wants to do "Get help." Loki is both insulted and indignant, he does not want to do "Get help".

Obviously, they do "Get help." The guards come forward and see Loki slumped over Thor's shoulder. Thor then THROWS LOKI at the guards. Guards get chumped, Thor puts on a beaming smile. 

Always happy to answer these questions, it brightens my day.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2019, 09:55:33 AM »
So, to clarify, the Jaffa serve as incubators for larval Gou'ald, but they are also placed in danger as guardsmen?  Doesn't that seem risky to whatever little wormy guys are still being formed within them?  Not a particularly wise distribution of resources from a tactical standpoint, unless there are plenty of expendable Gou'ald larvae.

I've never shot anything more complex than a water pistol, so you're miles ahead of me on the gun thing.  It would be interesting to try a sampling of the various firearms at a firing range, just to have a basic understanding of this technology (explosive-based projectiles).
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 09:57:16 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2019, 01:24:18 PM »
Eh, I've been stunt set up, that's not much fun. Specifically, a friend used ammunition they knew kicked to a painful extent and expected me to wince or experience pushback.

I did not. I shouldered and fired the shotgun as if it were made for me. I was very accurate with it, and said friend tried to sell it to me.

I declined, I could not corner the shotgun in my home. I did develop a soft spot for shotguns in video games.

Or as Bill Burr said, you must not love anything you own, with some of these gun purchases. Like if you imagine a shoebox room, with a bed and a door, most guns just wreck poo completely.

I'll elaborate, slightly. A lot of stargate troops shoot the M16, which even then, was an older rifle. You see it a lot in movies because you see it a lot in movies.

The M16 is not an impressive rifle. The M4 is a more cut down version, fires the same bullets, and TRUE PATRIOTS use rectangle magazines instead of the banana mag.  I think the Banana mag looks cooler, means absolutely nothing from a shooting perspective.

MP5 - the movie Spec-Ops rifle. It has a banana mag, is always dark, and it's implied only the best rock it. in reality, the MP5 was adopted in the 1960's. H&K have much cooler guns. I imagine the movies pay for the MP5.

It fires the 9 mm handgun bullet, and somehow sucks. I have not fired the MP5, but I know how to rack one. Kinda weird. I wonder if I'd be efficient with the weapon in real life as I am in a video game.

Honestly, I'm a lot more accurate on a firing range, I imagine I'm doing something wrong gaming. You pop the mag into the rifle, pull the charge handle back, set your selector switch to your rate of fire, and then go to town.

So, this is in the future, but the SG teams switch from the MP-5 to the P-90.

Reason for this is US secret service. They didn't care for the MP-5, didn't punch through cars efficiently. the P-90 ALSO fires the 9mm pistol round, but a lot faster, more of it , and it's angry.

I dunno, I'm not millitary. They took these guns away FOR REAL when the actual middle east wars kicked off.

But that's a couple seasons off. You'll see the M-16 or the MP-5 for a while. M-16's tend to be chrome in the series, MP-5 tend to be black.

Offline kayos0826

• Australopithecus
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2019, 07:43:07 AM »
Not sure if this is the right place, but here it is. The son of Don S Davis (Gen Hammond) stayed at the hotel I work at. I got to chat with him and he had some really great stories about his dad and the cast.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2019, 07:47:33 AM »
Oh dang. My Grandfather only avoided Korea because my mom was born. I've heard that's where Don. S Davis actually served, and that's some heavy stuff.

I think I mentioned this in another thread, but I've taken to applying a "General Hammond" filter when I do customer service calls. It's worked wonders.

I do wonder how he felt about playing an Air Force officer, when he was Army.  I imagine he didn't let it bother him too much.

Good to see you here.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 07:51:01 AM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2019, 07:46:19 PM »
What a cool photo.  That must have been a great experience, getting to talk to the son about his father's exploits.

Offline kayos0826

• Australopithecus
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2019, 07:11:54 AM »
yes, it was really neat to hear about. the most moving story was how Peter DeLuise held onto Matt's (Don's son) belt so he could lean out over the water where they spread the ashes. it was both funny and really sad at the same time, how he described it was funny, but I could see the sadness, how he loved and missed his father.

and yes, he still has the GMC Envoy :)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2019, 10:15:06 AM »
Yeah, in the 100th episode they take a joking look at the actual production, and a few of the behind the scenes features show that the entire DeLuise family put their hearts and souls into the show.

Colonel Danning is hilarious. You really get a feeling that it was more than just a job for all of them.