Author Topic: Laythy keeps giving me presents.  (Read 2734 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Laythy keeps giving me presents.
« on: December 14, 2018, 11:24:05 PM »
I run into a fat share of technical problems, and they tend to be heavy lifting, multiple hour things I have to deal with.

The PC laythy sent me is not one of them. Yeah, I've ran into a ton of bullsquid with W10, but he sent it to me with 7, and that license passed screening, so he did his job.

I never really had a huge hard drive, I think the windows party on the mac was 50 gb, and I think the lame duck gateway laptop had 80.

I keep thinking I need to delete something or clear space. COH was 24 gb downloaded, but nope, downloaded like a champ.

Picked up the free Subnautica to sooth my mass effect DLC rage burn, and once again, There's Laythy, laughing at my pissed off 2015 self for being so dang angry all the time.

I lost touch with him when I went nuts and took a break from demonoid, and I regret that. His PC has literally kept me warm.

So if any of you guys know him, please thank him for what he did for me, it was a fantastic gift, and it keeps on giving.

One funny bit, the Front panel looks like it got headbutted by a krogan, and the front ports DO NOT WORK. During a recent cleaning, I found that the bits of the mainboard labeled for front panel are flat out burnt, like toast. When I flaked off the char, I was terrified I was going to end up without a functional PC, but it booted right back up.

So it's an ugly beast, but it seriously gets the job done. July 07 MFR date, so it really is a hearty beast.

HFS, it's downloading the game at 4mbps. I feel like I'm in the future here.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 11:35:55 PM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: Laythy keeps giving me presents.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 01:54:37 AM »
Wasn't Laythy a truck driver?  I vaguely remember him from the noid fora.  That's great that your PC keeps on functioning.  A nice reminder of how kind strangers can be.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 02:45:13 AM »
We did not have the greatest of first encounters. I knew a guy, wasn't a great guy, actually kind of a f-up. He kept going on about how he was going to get an engineering scholarship and soak the army for so much money.

Instead he got basic infantry, so he stood a post. In Fallujah.  His story did not have a happy ending, and his mom latched onto mine, as they were friends in the bar sense. I watched their dog when they went to Texas for the Funeral.

So I didn't have the best opinion of Iraq, called it a shithole. Laythy didn't care for that, and we had many heated conversations about that. He wasn't rude, so I was happy to talk with him. Dunno what he got out of it, I'm not the nicest guy, or particularly polite in conversation.

But when my laptop was constantly dying, he was nice enough to scrounge me up a PC that exceeded anything I've ever bought, and shipped it to my house, for free. I'm still shocked.

And that PC is still running strong.

Offline Alfonz

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 09:32:46 AM »
We did not have the greatest of first encounters. I knew a guy, wasn't a great guy, actually kind of a f-up. He kept going on about how he was going to get an engineering scholarship and soak the army for so much money.

Instead he got basic infantry, so he stood a post. In Fallujah.  His story did not have a happy ending, and his mom latched onto mine, as they were friends in the bar sense. I watched their dog when they went to Texas for the Funeral.

So I didn't have the best opinion of Iraq, called it a shithole. Laythy didn't care for that, and we had many heated conversations about that. He wasn't rude, so I was happy to talk with him. Dunno what he got out of it, I'm not the nicest guy, or particularly polite in conversation.

But when my laptop was constantly dying, he was nice enough to scrounge me up a PC that exceeded anything I've ever bought, and shipped it to my house, for free. I'm still shocked.

And that PC is still running strong.

IIRC, that PC came from multiple contributions across several members. Almost sure Brick tossed something in there as well.

Laythy was a good guy, he helped me out tremendously with getting a plain old PC GPU to work in my Mac, since most of the Mac guys tend to be pretty snobbish I appreciated him helping me out and saving me quite a bit of cash. 

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 02:32:48 AM »
I do remember arguments over the server board, but then I was told not to read the thread as the machine was meant to be a surprise, so I did.

Honestly, it being a server board is probably why it's lived so long.