Author Topic: Life without adblock.  (Read 2742 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Life without adblock.
« on: January 25, 2019, 11:19:50 PM »
I hear google is going to "massage" chromium to remove ad-blockers. I don't use ad-blockers, but I'm against this measure.

Redirects are a constant bane of my existence. They especially like to hide as an invisible frame over play buttons. And all of the ad networks tied to redirects are scum. Microsoft support detects a virus! Enjoy the dulcet tones of an alarm clock and an unclosable overlay with our 800 number! Your flash player is out of date, even though you haven't used flash since Apple decided to murder it.

Not that those bless'ed autoplay HTML5 Videos are any better! golly. AUTOPLAY.

If these bastards could lock me out of my computer, they would. And that's garbage.

A more minor gripe, but one I deal with far more frequently - Fanfiction.net works fine in landscape mode, but if you hold it in portrait mode, an UNCLOSABLE ad pops up. You can "Minimize" it to only cover 20% of the page, but it's still there, mocking you with it's weird little bar with a V arrow, as if you'd like to re-enlarge the ad and see it. And that's on top of the banner ad! Plus it follows down the page, so you always see the shitty bar.

I would just go over to AO3, but that's a haven for slash, and really bent up sex politic alpha/omega garbage with no reliable filter for either. I've even heard a theory that AO3 was founded by people who like slash. Hell, I'm not opposed to homosexual pairings, I just think that Steve Rogers would make a shitty boyfriend for Tony Stark. So Nyeh.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: Life without adblock.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 05:00:29 AM »
Fortunately there are other browsers in the world.  If Google pulls that, I'll vote with my feet.  Even with adblockers there's a certain amount of annoying ads that show up anyway.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 05:26:32 AM »
Really wish I could have missed the rotter Wars one, when I was cueing up a movie for mom.

Seriously, that poo was full screen, moaning, and I had to explain an internet redirect to my mother, with that poo on screen.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 12:15:13 AM »
Fortunately there are other browsers in the world.  If Google pulls that, I'll vote with my feet.  Even with adblockers there's a certain amount of annoying ads that show up anyway.
so agree