Author Topic: Barry - HBO  (Read 2432 times)

Online 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Barry - HBO
« on: May 02, 2019, 09:48:02 PM »
I really dig this series.

Bill Hader playing a role Hollywood would never give Bill Hader, and that makes it a million times better.

10hfspm (Holy poo per minute)  DAYUM.

okay, my series spoiler? This is NOT a comedy.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 12:25:00 AM by 8ullfrog »

Online 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Re: Barry - HBO
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 01:17:08 AM »
yo, it's nuts as hell.

Like he even calls it. When a raid is required, he says he is not Jason Borne. And he isn't. But it is so boss as hell.

My favorite part is the guy with no eyebrows. Like he was fun on that batman show with no batman, but here, you just want him to rule crime, and they just don't let him, and why.

Online 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 02:34:19 AM »
He's the hit man who finds his metier in script writing or some such?  I think I watched the first one, but didn't pursue it.  Maybe I should give it a second look when the dust clears.

Online 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 12:59:36 AM »
okay, so Barry was a Marine. He got discharged for shooting a civilian when he thought he was shooting the person who killed his best friend. Turns out it was some random golly on a roof. Very common thing in this show, what you think is going on can be slightly off. Not in like, a misdirect sense, just that people make mistakes based on what they believe is the truth at the time. The show does NOT golly the viewer over on this. It's not Rashomon.

He came home to Fuches, who in the flashback scene, appears to be the devil. Friend of his dad's, very much an arm chair general. Completely devoid of conscience or morals. He is very much an abusive father figure.

Fuches is his handler. Barry is not a fancy killer. You leave him a car, a gun, and an objective, and he gets it done. No fuss, no muss. He strips the gun and tosses it, the car is abandoned, and he. walks. away.

This is actually smarter than most TV hitmen, where they have to hide the body, and the gun has to be disposed of in some fancy manner. Barry pulls the receiver, drops it in a recycling bin, then drops the rest of the pistol in another recycling bin a block away.

He even says, he's not Jason Bourne.

It's implied he goes 50/50 with fuches, but is later revealed that Fuches is taking the lions share, and leaving Barry somewhat in the wind. This is shown in the first episode, when he bullshits he got Barry a nice car, and it's a '98 ford with a belt problem. Squeeeeeeeeal.

On to the S2 finale... crap, I don't want to spoil it, how do I spin this? Barry is in a dark place. Fuches has directly challenged the life Barry has lucked into, and only blood and pain can resolve this.

I've mentioned before, Barry isn't Jason Bourne. In the Finale, you find out he's scarier. He isn't going to weave some web to fix things, he's going to kill a lot of people. And Holy poo does he kill a lot of people.

This episode went over by 8 minutes. Maybe because of Thrones, but also, in the behind the scenes commentary, which HBO calls "Inside the Episode" Bill Hader explains they have to cut a lot of good poo because of the 30 minute runtime. Apparently, they didn't want to cut anymore this episode.

Either way, it's a better Season Finale than that other show's Series Finale.

OH! This episode delivers where John Wick 3 DOES NOT. A character with a distinct need for a bullet applied lobotomy is serviced in a very satisfying manner.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 01:02:23 AM by 8ullfrog »

Online 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 02:38:20 AM »
It's entertaining.  Kind of absurd humor.  A good supporting cast.  Wacky Czechnyans.