Author Topic: TV General Discussion.  (Read 8506 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
TV General Discussion.
« on: May 30, 2019, 06:47:19 PM »
I wrote this up the other day but it got eaten by the langoliers.

I feel like some of the tangents we go off on in the "What's your favorite/what are you watching" thread are somewhat disruptive, so I made this pressure valve. Then I wrote what my current feelings on the state of TV. This is just a tribute! The original was much better.

First up, Counterpoint got canceled. I've never actually watched this because A) I'm not a Starz subscriber and B) My TV streaming site is kind of a pain in the ass to use.

It certainly had an interesting premise though. Two mirror worlds, fighting each other in a clandestine cold war. JK Simmons played a meek guy and a BRASH bottom.

Apparently he pulls it off so well, you can tell which is which, even when one is disguised as the other, and has no lines. That's impressive.

Whiskey Cavalier was canceled, because OF COURSE IT WAS. Apparently the title was a condition for series pickup, some ABC exec thought it was a GREAT title.
The actual series wasn't much better. Yet another "Cool guy wants to do cool things, but is held by back by a controlling madam". So it was Archer, without humor, or good writing. Bon Voyage, Whiskey Cavalier.

Next, Kelsey Grammer is known for talking out his ass, but he is claiming that the Fraiser continuation series is being held back because there are six different pitches, and nobody wants to budge from theirs.

Here's an idea - Let the fantastic series rest! It literally can't be the same, and we already know Kelsey is a Trump supporter. How long could the continuation last?

Game of thrones!  Apparently Maisie Williams wanted Arya to finish her list, and die in the process. She had support from Lena Heady, who also wanted this outcome.

Reddit once again poo on the death of Cersei and Jaime by noticing that when Tyrion found their corpses, the Dragon Skulls were still intact. They could have survived by hiding under the damn things, considering the open sky would have provided oxygen. Damn you freefolk! (Just kidding, the fact they could rip D&D apart so often and so well is alarming)

Also, it's been confirmed that Bran = bottom king is official, from GRRM himself. Now he doesn't have to finish the book, because no one wants that. I've been seeing the GOT seasons showing up at goodwill, something I had not previously seen. People are angry.

It's actually funny, anytime a controversy comes up, goodwill gets flooded with the unwanted merchandise. I saw a LOT of Cosby albums when he got convicted of being a serial rapist.

Pretty much all the studios are Grumbling about Georgia, but none are actually taking action. Reminds me of #MeToo!

Jessica Jones is returning for a third season, but why? The only possible way to keep the series going is to once again destroy her life. Also, I thought all the Netflix Marvel Props already got sold off, so how would they even film it? Everyone in Wal-Mart Couture?

Offline Schmoogsley

• Homo Erectus
Re: TV General Discussion.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 07:24:50 PM »
I was a big Cosby fan when I was a kid. I had one of his albums from the early 70s. Very sad and disappointing what has happened. Painful even. Proof again why you should not worship another human. Especially one you do not know.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 07:35:50 PM »
I quite liked Counterpoint.  That's a shame.  I'll have to check the Goodwill for the GoT videos.

Just finished Enlightened.  It was better than I thought it would be.  Laura Dern & her real life mother, Diane Ladd, play mother & daughter.  Dern is good at being clueless.  The show evolves and she eventually becomes more sympathetic.  Jonathan Demme directed it.  It had a good cast.  It just loaded automatically via amazon prime when I finished this season of Fleabag, which is also good.  Some of these series play better to one gender than the other.

I'm out of stuff to watch alone.  Will return to Billions when we get a chance.  One thing we've just about finished watching for the 3rd time is the 1980's Jewel in the Crown series from the BBC.  It holds up well, despite its age. 

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 07:45:36 PM »
Did you ever try Preacher? I don't think you'd care for the blood soaked carnage, but the hypocrisy is entertaining. Soundtrack is pretty good too.

My TV does just fine with black in games, but in television streaming I get shitty artifacts. It's quite distracting.

Offline Schmoogsley

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 10:48:18 AM »
I am watching Rachel Ray. I don't know why because I don't like her. I do think it's funny that the commercials on TV of her show are images of her like 10 years ago. lol She is like 100 lbs. heavier now. I could be exaggerating. I did say I don't like her.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 07:47:16 PM »
I hate her schtick. It's olive oil, not the stupid name she calls it.

I do like that her guests seem to despise her. That's kind of funny. I also get the idea that her kids who she is ALWAYS saying love the meals, probably don't.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 07:49:13 PM by 8ullfrog »

Offline Schmoogsley

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 08:22:38 PM »
I read other actual chefs despise her. lol She obviously got her gig wholly on looks.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 08:26:32 PM by Schmoogsley »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 08:29:45 PM »
She has a brand of dog food.  Need I say more?  Here's a review.  What I find curious about these dog food reviews is that there seem to be no taste tests.  I once had a job working for General Mills in a factory where cereal and cake mixes were packed and shipped out.  When the packing machines malfunctioned spilling cereal on the floor, we were instructed to sweep it up and put it into these big grey plastic trashcans with "CertaMix" labels on them.  I later found out that they were sent to be used in pet food.  So when it says "cereal" on the dog food package, it may be Golden Grahams, Trix, or Kix.  Another fun fact:  Wheaties and Total are the same flake, one just has more vitamins sprayed on it.

I've never seen Rachel Ray.  I just watched Martha Stewart (who does appear to know how to cook) making a bunch of beef recipes.  I don't eat beef, but it's interesting to watch her anyway.  I like to think of her giving housekeeping tips to other inmates while she was in prison.  The fact that she did that and survived to put it behind her makes me think she must be ok on some level.

https://www.k9ofmine.com/rachael-ray-nutrish-dog-food-review/

p.s. The Golden State Warriors appear to be reaping the hand dealt to them by fate for abandoning Oakland for the high rent district of San Francisco.  Whores.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 08:31:27 PM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline Schmoogsley

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 08:39:16 PM »
p.s. The Golden State Warriors appear to be reaping the hand dealt to them by fate for abandoning Oakland for the high rent district of San Francisco.  Whores.
LMAO! That's funny Six. They should interview you when they come back to town with their tails between their legs.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 11:40:15 PM »
They managed to lose at home.  It was so close.  So sad for them.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 11:54:31 PM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline Schmoogsley

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2019, 11:50:03 PM »
Well, the Canucks are partying in the streets. Drinking Moosehead beer. 

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2019, 11:55:02 PM »
They played really well and deserve the celebration.

Offline Schmoogsley

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2019, 12:04:34 AM »
I didn't like Moosehead. I did like this very much, however:

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2019, 10:15:21 PM »
I'm hesitant to recommend Babylon 5 to six, since she thought DS9 was poo, and B5 was essentially DS9's poor cousin.

But I found an essay that may help her decide if it's worth checking out:

https://www.tor.com/2019/06/13/babylon-5-is-the-greatest-most-terrible-sf-series/

Personal notes - I watched B5 live. Wasn't always worth watching, and I was deeply offended they killed me in the Pilot. San Diego is a destroyed hellhole.

Many years later, I watched it with a friend who while not deeply devout, does have faith. When a certain race is "revealed" He had a look of shock I've rarely seen.

Unlike Commie trek, B5 paints a fairly bleak future, where you still have to pay for your own healthcare, even in the military, and Oranges are OBSCENELY expensive due to shipping costs.

And less I make the show sound too awesome, there is some real garbage too.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2019, 04:43:07 PM »
I actually enjoyed watching DS9, but I'm not so sure I'm up for Babylon 5.  The few episodes I did tune into were so corny, it seemed absurd to spend more time on it.

Wouldn't I be better off with some very good sci-fi books?  There's plenty I have not yet read, and after last night's predictable viewing, something that would probably make most of us on here gag, "Flack." I am beginning to think that books are the best alternative to bad tv.  I'm open to some recommendations.  I have most of the Philip K. D ick books and have read them at least once.  Read Dune, which was ok, Dune Messiah sucked.  Haven't read Stand on Zanzibar.  Liked Orson Scott Card but prefer not to give him additional space given his hateful politics.  I read a trilogy recently, that was alright but a little too hip for my tastes.  I don't like it when the characters's dialogue is filled with flippant quips.  I prefer my sci fi square.