Author Topic: TV General Discussion.  (Read 8490 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Re: TV General Discussion.
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2019, 05:13:56 PM »
Managed to pick up the entirety of Stargate Atlantis at goodwill. SCORE!

Also nice, it was $5.99 a season instead of $9.99. I'm so happy they got rid of that manager. Mom used her senior discount too.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2019, 05:21:56 PM »
That's super.  People often put entire DVD collections on the curb here.  Let me know if there's anything in particular you are looking for in case I stumble across them.  Sometimes DVDs show up in Little Free Libraries which are common in these parts.

I'm not walking much these days but I'm supposed to be able to get rid of this boot come July.  Really, it's like one of those yellow things they clamp onto your car for parking in the wrong place.  I went to Safeway this afternoon and it took twice as long as I had to clump around the store using the cart for balance.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2019, 05:37:12 PM »
The ones currently on my wishlist are BSG, TNG 2-7 DS9, VOY

I had BSG S1, but it grew legs.

Funny enough, this goodwill keeps getting copies of Medieval II, TOTAL WAR, only problem - Disk 1 is always missing.

I remember when VOY came out on DVD, they wanted something obscene like $230 a season.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 05:39:40 PM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2019, 02:59:42 AM »
Ender's Game was very good.  I haven't read any of the others.

I read books and they disappear like vapors.  I've been slogging through Herodotus and Balzac in my spare time, but they are a bit more laborious.  I read an Ann Leckie trilogy, Ancillary Justice, Ancillary Sword, Ancillary Mercy  that was interesting but still sort of everybody is groovy in the end.  I prefer the nostalgia of lost civilizations that screwed things up royally that underlies the basic trajectory of the James SA Corey Expanse series.

I've located the Hyperion Cantos via Soulseek so I'll check that out.  "Flack" is pretty stupid.  Predictable and tedious.  I guess I was like that when I was younger, but it seems so long ago.  Women behaving badly.  Oh well.  Maybe there's more entertainment to be had in an imaginary future.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 03:02:16 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2019, 05:47:03 PM »
One of my favorite treatments of this phenomenon was in Woody Allen's "Bananas."  Here's the link.  I have to go change my underwear so they can check it, while I'm working on my Swedish. 

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2019, 09:40:57 PM »
I learned some things from The View that made me hate him even more. I didn't think I could respect Whoopie less, but she managed that too.

Moving on, Titans started up again. I watched the entire first season, it goes from "okay" to "Cancel this pls" fairly often, and the Season Finale was cut.

Seriously, they cut the season Finale and ran it as the first episode of the new season.

It was pretty bad. Kind of fun seeing the junior cop from Castle playing a dark lord, but they turned him into a Thanos knockoff pretty quickly. Maybe that's why they bumped it, wanted to let some of the Thanos memories fade. Once Trigon goes CGI, the show gets so much worse.

Predictably, all the heroes are forced to kill in flashbacks, except Hawk & Dove, they do Heroin. Anyway that turns them all into evil zombies.

Raven finds the power inside is really the friends we make along the way... After getting her heart ripped out. We kind of need those to continue to live, but she doesn't.

We get a CGI style final face off, which is why I stopped watching the DC movies.

Then we get some weird road trip bits. richard Grayson confronts Bruce Wayne, who is played by... Jorah the andal?  I mean I'm sure they could have gone with worse casting, but I honestly thought he was Alfred until richard called him Bruce.

I don't know why I keep watching this show, I really don't. Like I said, I stopped watching the DC movies.

Looks like 3 more episodes and I can watch preacher. I hung it up because I didn't want a cliffhanger, so I'm waiting for it to end, and then I will watch em.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 11:53:28 PM by 8ullfrog »