Author Topic: Rutger Hauer has died. He was 75.  (Read 2426 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Rutger Hauer has died. He was 75.
« on: July 24, 2019, 07:25:29 PM »
Rutger Hauer has died. He was 75.

He was a hell of an actor. His presence, his rage, utterly fantastic.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: Rutger Hauer has died. He was 75.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 02:25:32 AM »
He's like a handsome German guy (although he was Dutch), perfectly equipped to be your best nightmare.  One of my favorites was a movie in which he played a psycho terrorist who attempted to blow up the UN Headquarters.  People take a funicular to Roosevelt Island and he was on a rampage to disconnect one of the cars so it would plunge into the East River, thereby killing everyone on board.

He was thwarted of course, but it was fun while it lasted.  I can't even begin to remember the name of the film, must have been made in the 1980s'--yeah.  Nighthawks it was called.  He was also in LadyHawke, but I never saw that.  A friend was commenting on how much she liked him in that.

Blade Runner is ok.  I guess I was never that fond of it, and I realize that's heresy but I much preferred the more nuanced book.   He's like a cartoon villain in that film.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Re: Rutger Hauer has died. He was 75.
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 02:40:42 AM »
Everyone is quoting the monologue, and I didn't want to.

My favorite line was the one he delivers to Tyrel, but that also seemed inappropriate.

Funny, because I've a filthy mouth and mind. I'd agree he was a great punch clock baddy though. So many poo films falsely enriched by his POWER.

I feel bad about my blade runner thread now. Roy Batty outlives his portrayer, by five months. And THAT feels inappropriate too.

golly.