Author Topic: Stargate: SG1 Season 7.  (Read 5276 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: Stargate: SG1 Season 7.
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2020, 02:43:34 AM »
Death Knell:  Carter and her Dad are working on a weapon to neutralize the Drone soldiers of Anubis when they are attacked.  Big boom.  Many people killed.  Dad goes back via stargate and Carter is hunted by scary Terminator Plus guy.

She kicks its ass, partially, and is just about to be killed when Teal'c and O'Neill show up to save her.  The alliance between Tok'ra, Jaffa and Earthlings is rent asunder.  Too bad.

Heroes part 1:  The annoying guy from Frazier who was to marry the Dad's assistant/helper, is here a documentary filmmaker who is generally not well liked by the crew and they try as best as possible to ignore him.  This is  a two parter.  A group goes to another planet and are enjoying the ruins when they're attcked by evil Goua'ld.  Will they escape this mess?  Stay tuned.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2020, 02:56:02 AM »
oh god, you stopped on part 1? Adam Baldwin!

Anyway, in order:

DEATH KNELL

Hammond is pretty seriously boss in this episode. Jack cuts back on the joking hard, this is not a laugh a minute episode, and he gets that extremely quickly.

The alliances the SGC has fought, bled and died for are ripped asunder by shitheads. Seriously, golly 'em all, earth has done them so many favors, and they just turn their backs here. It's horseshit!

Carter spends most of the time in this episode essentially running head long into a cheese grater. It's painful to watch, but really, everyone will die unless Carter pulls another miracle out of her ass.

O'Neill and Teal'c survive their own cheese grater, and team with carter in a way where no one is the supreme badass, but everyone deserves credit for the death ray.

They blast the annoying golly apart.

HEROES pt. 1.

This is a turning point in the show. It's dark, it isn't fun, and it doesn't hit until Pt. 2.

Adam Baldwin is here, that's kind of fun. Col. Dave Dixon, SG-13.

I really liked Walter's interview.

The disc ends with a TBC.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2020, 09:14:28 AM »
I got tired and went to bed so no part 2 until tomorrow.

Re Death Knell, yeah, Hammond and DJ do their best to work with unworkable people who just want to go their own ways, despite the danger.  Carter's Dad & his symbiote throw up their hands.  The recalcitrance of the two other groups really makes little sense.  It recalls the episode with Jonas and his primadonna reps from the three factions on his planet who are all such jerks that they deserve one another.  For Carter, who is mostly left to her own capable devices, despite being injured, and tracked, it's a question of survival.  It's also a corrective to the Wonderbra episode as well as that silly one that everyone apparently liked and that made me gag with Grace the hologram or whatever running around while Carter was visited by men who messed with her head like the series of ghosts in A Christmas Carol.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2020, 01:03:40 AM »
Heroes, part 2.  Janet bites the dust.  People get hurt, some die.  Goua'ld ambush on the planet.  Ugly guy sent by ND1 pokes his nose in where it doesn't belong and he's universally hated by the SG people.  So there are two interlopers here:  good one (fat guy from Frazer's brother's spinoff) and bad one from evil creepy Senator Kiley or ? who thinks SG one is wasting gov't money and is careless.  He's deliberately ugly and the makeup/props dept does all it can to enhance his ugliness.  He gets told to golly off while Frazer guy who was fiancé of Daphne (who took care of frazer's dad and eventually marries younger brother Niles) gets welcomed into the fold and allowed to tell the real SG1 story, even with the cooperation of Sir O'Neill.  This was a long bummer of an episode.  And killing off Janet was just sad and unnecessary.  Let's hope it was because she got a better job somewhere.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2020, 02:39:14 AM »
Inauguration:   The guy from Knot's Landing who gets work because he looks vaguely like a Kennedy so is often slated to play Presidents plays the President and his VP is Sen. Kinsey the creepy guy who has made a career of being that creepy guy.  Sen. K. has his panties in a bunch over SG1 and wants to control it.  This establishes the raison d'etre for the next few episodes. 

Lost City, Part 1;  more of this, and now Jack's got his brain zapped via a repository of ancient alien info while Sen. K keeps up the good work of being vile.  Some pretty blonde chick who is apparently also a World Class Negotiator gets slated to run SG1.  Sure.  That makes bunches of sense.  Sen. K runs around being menacing and pushy in such a way that the Earth will be overrun by Anubis's minions before you can say Jean-Luc Picard.  Jack starts speaking in tongues.  Will the SG program survive?  Will Earth succumb to the raving hoardes of 20 somethings who are just out to screw things up.

Fun had by all who attended.  Part 2 later.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2020, 03:14:17 AM »
Lost City Part 2:

Pretty cool.  Anubis gets his ass kicked.  After some wanderings, the trio of Carter, Teal'c, (with Bratac) and O'Neill go to odd far planet covered by active volcanos and hot lava except one place with a souped up LazYBoy recliner that the Ancients used to kick ass.  O'Neill figures out how to use it.  Makes the atmosphere breathable and other nifty stuff.  They take some crystals home to the south pole.  Lost city outpost on Antartica, O'Neill gets jiggy with the ancients and activates weapon.  Tired from his labors, he steps into a concavity in the wall and gets frozen into a state of stasis.  Gou'ald are pushed back and reduced to vapor. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 03:26:26 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2020, 09:20:04 AM »
You're fairly cruel to Robert Picardo - the lighting is dark, but I don't think they particularly tried to make Richard Woolsey look ugly. He also ended up being right. Not in the financial sense, but that the rescue mission was a bad idea. The SGC lost it's chief medical officer, and should have also lost it's second in command - Jack. Honestly, the ads at the time made it look like he got hit by a staff blast and took a dirt nap. In the past, that's all it takes. Weaponized plasma is not something people walk off.

Hell, all his arguments are correct. The SGC was an ad-hoc program that was designed to do one thing, the Abydos mission. When that mission concluded, the SGC was mothballed, and the gate was put into storage.

Hammond was essentially working off the end of his contract before retirement, when Apophis kicked the anthill over.

After that the SGC operated under reactive conditions, utilizing very much a good old boy network, both O'neill and Hammond mention being close friends with the sitting (never seen) President.

Kinsey was always a sleemo, but most of his arguments, when stripped from his naked ambition are correct, the SGC is flat out a slapped together, duct taped up and play it as it goes institution.

And the world is tired of it. The UN forms the International Oversight Committee to put the program in check. Hammond is offered the option to remain in the service, but step down from command of the program. He takes command of the Prometheus.

Dr. Elizabeth Weir is a noted diplomat, when crafting the alliance with the Tok'ra, Daniel cribbed from her notes.

They don't elaborate too much, but do state that she is responsible for a ton of the treaties currently in place on SGC Earth. She's a peacemaker.

Much like Jack and Hammond, she has a personal friendship with the NEW US President, Henry Hayes.

William Devane actually did play JFK, and the callback is him looking at a bust of JFK and comparing himself to it.

Interestingly enough, Hayes actually served with Hammond, they reminisce in the oval office.

The unstated political party forced Senator Kinsey on him as VP. In many alternate timelines, Kinsey took the office, presumably having Hayes killed at some point.

That's right, one of the SGC's most dogged enemies is now one heartbeat away from the presidency.

This clip show was necessitated because ALL OF THE MONEY went into the series finale. COUGH season finale. They weren't sure.

Lost City

poo, I jumbled up a bit.

The SGC is stood down for three months, and possibly permanently. All off-world teams are recalled. Jack is in danger, as he has once again made the sacrifice of downloading the Ancient Database into his brain.

Honestly, I wonder what the Asgard did with it the first time, since they "uninstalled" it from his brain. Either way, Jack is essentially living with a death sentence, since the Asgard aren't handily available to pull a miracle again.

Bad things happen in the galaxy as the SGC is shuttered.

Honestly, this probably saved every offworld team from a horrible death, considering how fast Anubis is gobbling up... well everything.

braetac shows up and tells earth that they are next. TBC

LOST CITY 2 ELECTRIC BUGALOO

Huh, I didn't write much about this one. The Nimitz battle group dies offscreen. In space war, it's all about the orbitals. A water navy is essentially a sitting duck.

The fight is fairly exciting, I note that Weir made a hell of a hard call allowing the mission to proclarush.

Anubis always sucked.

I don't get why they kept flirting with killing O'Neill off, it's somewhat distracting. Putting him on ice was a good plan.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2020, 10:50:50 AM »
Picardo is dressed with glasses and a suit that are deliberately un-flattering.  They stress his meanness by these wardrobe/makeup tricks.  The man is relatively plain looking but they go out of their way to emphasize his weaker physical characteristics.  Hollywood and the film industry in general thrive on this physical beauty=goodness vs evil=ugly.  This is not novel, as you can see it in art all the way back to the middle ages.

I don't know that given the potential onslaught of war with a ruthless enemy, the situation calls for a peacemaker.  The Goua'ld don't need Jimmy Carter, rather, they need Henry Kissinger, a practitioner of RealPolitik.  The nice blonde lady ain't got the strategic chops to deal with people who are technologically advanced and who regularly enslave entire planets.  They (the Goua'ld) are not much disposed toward peaceful negotiation.  Really, you think Anubis is going to the UN Headquarters in NYC to make nice with representatives of Earth governments to work out a mutually beneficial compromise?  That's pure craziness.  That's why I think having the military dealing with belligerent alien invaders makes more sense.

I have commented elsewhere that Senator Kinsey's critiques were often warranted, but that does not erase the fact that he's portrayed as an unethical, power hungry bully.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 10:53:51 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2020, 11:21:38 AM »
Actually, they did make him look monsterous for one episode of voyager where he went Jekyll/Hyde, he used a mouth prostheses he stole from the set of the howling. He didn't look washed out in inauguration because he wasn't in that blue lit interrogation room anymore.

Washington was dubious of Anubis, since a similar ultimate evil sprung up the last time SGC funding was threatened. Plus when most administration shake-ups happen, presidents tend to replace all the ambassadors. We also follow the heroes on the adventures, and may be seeing them in a more positive light than someone dispassionately reviewing the reports without a personal connection to the cast.

Over, I'd say 6/7/8, relations with alien nations went from cautiously cool to downright iced over. Remember the stupid predator episode where both the Jaffa and Tok'ra stormed out of their alliances with earth?  A diplomat would have been more useful than Jack there. I mean the Jaffa respect O'Neill for his strength, but several of them just flat out hate him.

With the Tok'ra, they need hosts, and Americans tend to be squeamish about sharing headspace and body autonomy with a snake.

Jaffa and Tok'ra are literal enemies. Jaffa view the Tok'ra as Goauld playing nice, and the Tok'ra regard the Jaffa (Not unjustly) as bumbling fuckups.

There are more notable frosty relations, or the absolute nightmare of the Aschen.

When Weir is in the hot seat, she makes the right call on the mission to proclarush. That could have been the absolute end of earth.

Obviously, Anubis was never going to play nice, but SG-1 and the other teams set a lot of fires out in the galaxy, Washington wants Weir to put some out.

Hell, there are parallels with our forever wars. We went in, we killed "The leader" and guess what? That creates a Vacuum! Plus not everyone is going to be thankful you killed their god king.

As to Kinsey, I feel like Woolsey is written as his replacement, to be less of a cartoon villian. poo, Kinsey flat out makes a threat to kill President Hayes in Inauguration!

Thankfully he proves to be the coward we all thought he was when he tries to dip out to the alpha site. I liked Hayes "Sit down or I'll have you shot"

Whoops, futzed the line. I found it though:
INT—OVAL OFFICE
[Hayes gets up.]
HAYES
Will you shut the hell up!
INT—SGC, WEIR'S OFFICE
WEIR
I'm sorry, Sir.
INT—OVAL OFFICE
HAYES
Not you, Doctor.
INT—SGC, WEIR'S OFFICE
KINSEY
Excuse me?
HAYES
(through phone)
Consider your resignation accepted, Bob.
KINSEY
(shaking his head)
You can't do that!
INT—OVAL OFFICE
HAYES
Oh please. I got enough on you to have you shot!
INT—SGC, WEIR'S OFFICE
KINSEY
This is the biggest mistake you'll ever make.
INT—OVAL OFFICE
HAYES
But I think I'll stick with my original thought. Which is shut the hell up!

Also carter's near swear "Sir we're about to get our a-" bratac: "They are not goauld."
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 11:28:49 AM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2020, 01:18:16 PM »
Yeah.  That exchange was entertaining.  The actor, Wm. Devane, was basically the same as he was on Knot's Landing.  KL was one of those evening soap operas that was popular in the late 80's early 90's.  My stepmother used to watch all that stuff:  Dynasty, Falcon Crest, Dallas, KL.  I watched KL to have something in common.  It had some amusing plot lines and a generally talented cast, but it was a soap opera.  I can't remember how he fit in but he became the lover of this pretty young upstart who had a major role, Paige?  I can't remember.  She was Michael Bolton's RL girlfriend.  I'm too lazy to look it up.  Devane is personable and likable.  So casting him opposite Ronny Cox, a typical bad guy, is satisfying particularly when the former tells the latter to shut up, and the latter reveals self to be power hungry bully/coward.