Author Topic: Is the Corona virus the elephant in the room?  (Read 49300 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Re: Is the Corona virus the elephant in the room?
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2020, 08:47:16 PM »
You're on the tip of the spear there.

Thankfully I've not read anything about IOWA taking control of hotels and motels, but here in California our Governor has done exactly that, and I've heard they've particularly prized rooms with Air Conditioning, so it might do to stay aware of such things.

I think he intends to shove homeless into those, if they like it or not.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2020, 01:10:41 AM »
Would totally fit edge of buzzword. Mom was watching a let's say, ethnic interest film today on bounce, and every white character in the film spoke in football coach buzzwords.

BOUNCE is an OTA cross border network that plays movies without censorship. They get to say the golly word!  On the negative side, no subtitles.

My roommate got sent home from his walk by the cops today. He does a 3 block loop, and they told him to go home.

So he can't go to work, and he can't do his full walk. This month he makes rent, but next month is a bit of a wildcard of terror for all of us.

Someone shot out a streetlight behind us, presumably to make crimes easier, and it was sparking pretty bad, It's raining. They have it shut off now, and I'm relieved they didn't shut off our power to do it.

That would have made an uncomfortable situation even more miserable.

I wonder about the pressure valves. I've heard child and spousal abuse have exploded.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2020, 10:22:24 AM »
Holy golly, My Roommates job challenged the state, and WON.

It's still a modified schedule. Normally he's a shuttle driver, customers from dealership to wherever the golly they're going, and that business is DEAD.

However, they argued the alternative schedule, where he drives a mechanic out to the customer's house, mechanic collects the vehicle, and so on and so forth.

I'm glad, because I had no alternatives. we were straight up bent.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2020, 10:57:11 AM »
Gosport reporting: still not dead yet.

You're on the tip of the spear there.

If that isn't a quote from "Edge of Tomorrow", it should be.

Battersea reporting: still only half dead as is usual.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2020, 10:58:38 AM »
That's a huge relief, 8ully, and I'm happy for you.  Your family has had a string of bad luck lately and it's about time things turned around for you.

I'm glad to hear you are ok, Kayos.  I hope you will stay safe at the hotel.  It must be a challenge to have to go to a job where you come into contact with so many people. 

I'm staying home today.  Sort of tired, but at least I'm still here.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2020, 01:58:07 PM »
dweez reporting in. Been "teleworking" since last week and will continue for the foreseeable future. I'm trying to get "Tworking" to catch on even though multiple threats of reporting it to HR.
--dweez

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2020, 02:16:41 PM »
.... I'm trying to get "Tworking"....

Well you certainly have the hips for it, baby.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2020, 07:38:43 PM »
I figured the people here would be amused by a technical issue I ran into today.

My Aunt got non-essential ed, and wanted to play "The Sims 2", so she went to the closet, pulled the game out, and started installing. And ran into a situation I'm VERY familiar with, a disc was missing.

About two years back, I happened upon a copy of "The Sims 2" at goodwill, and figured whydafucknot? I paid my two dollars, and took it home. Don't think I've ever installed it, I think I last played it before the release of 3.

Turns out, I had the CD release too!

hmm, maybe some of this post would be better served out of public eye. Sufficient to say, I helped my aunt deal with her Shelter in place plans.

We tried to solve it through skype, but apparently some invite got lost, and I can't type messages to her on skype. We WERE able to video chat (I have a mic)

So I tried to send her the disc through skype, no dice, file limit on skype is 300 mb. I find that interesting, as that limit wasn't there the last time I used it, I remember routinely sending 1 gb video files through skype back on XP.

We ended up using Google Drive.

Skype took 45 minutes to download, google drive gulped down the disc image in under a minute. Downloading skype felt like the Dial-up days. Once again proving, not all web traffic is created equal.

I also (Poorly) explained Origin and Steam to her. She still doesn't quite understand and we've tabled that for another time.

She did almost walk into the ACCESS minefield, and I warned her off.

Origin delisted Sims 2, so you can't buy it there anymore.  If you contact EA about a delisted title, they tell you to buy it off ebay. No joke.

Governor Newsome said some alarming poo on his now near daily address, but it's almost impossible to unpack it from his bless'ed ADVERB ADDICTION.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE JOURNEY OR HOW MAGNIFICENT THE RESPONSE HAS BEEN!

WHAT ARE THE RESTRICTIONS, WHERE ARE WE ALLOWED TO GO?!

Sorry, bit angry.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 07:42:38 PM by 8ullfrog »

Offline kayos0826

• Australopithecus
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2020, 12:28:55 AM »
I'm glad to hear you are ok, Kayos.  I hope you will stay safe at the hotel.  It must be a challenge to have to go to a job where you come into contact with so many people. 

We are very slow. No plans on shutting down, averaging 10 rooms occupied. Normally that is how many rooms I have empty. I work Night Audit, so limited contact with guests. Haven't had to go to airport for the last week thankfully. When I get to work I wipe down all the surfaces I touch with sanitizer wipes. If I touch anything that a guest has touched I use hand sanitizer gel.

Yes I have had anxiety attacks. I have just sat crying. I worry about my wife or son getting sick because of me. I feel horrible for being happy it is slow. I read about hotels and kitchens closed all over the world. We are open and I am happy we are open so I get full pay (Full Time, no one else wants nights), but I feel guilty being slow. With few guests I can limit my contact and attempt to maintain physical distancing.

For those that know, I have not had any contact with Aura now for 2 years. She is 17 and refuses to have anything to do with me. Her mom won and successfully poisoned the well.  There have been reported cases in the area she lives in. Dont get me started on the stress from that.

I watch the news, a lot. Stresses the wife out. Its how I am dealing with this, just viewing the raw data. Trying to focus on the good in the world. How the canals in Venice are cleaning up. Air pollution is dropping. Dogs are enjoying their humans being home. Cats are wondering when we will leave so they can sleep.

I feel better now. Thank you for being there. All of you. What a long strange trip it has been. Im proud to know you folks.       

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2020, 01:34:16 AM »
I'm really sorry to hear about Aura being estranged from you as I know how much you love her and doted on her.  And I get your anxiety about not infecting yourself or your family.  But you gotta eat, which means you have to go out.  My husband goes to work and stays away from any others in the shop, and is obsessive about washing hands.  I don't go out much as I got laid off from my job and mostly stay home, but we also worry about him bringing home some infection. 

It sounds like you are doing all you can to stay safe.  Hopefully, this can be brought under control before it turns into a disaster movie.  I went to the grocery store today and did all I could to get the hell out of there as fast as I could. I wore disposable gloves.  They had sparse stock and I was unable to get many items on my list.

I went to a few stores today to buy food.  I won't go again for at least another week.  It's too scary.  I wipe down the doorknobs, light switches, phone, computer keyboard and microwave in my house with alcohol every day.  I feel like a crazy person but what do you do when there's something deadly that you can't see?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 01:36:28 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2020, 03:10:04 AM »
I mean, I probably don't have to tell you, but for others, make sure the isopropyl alcohol is at least 60%

I know those assholes at CVS are selling 50%, they roped my mom. I'm not even sure WHY they sell 50% alcohol.

Offline kayos0826

• Australopithecus
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2020, 05:07:49 AM »
you can make hand sanitizer from 91% ISO and aloe vera gel

3/4 cup or 180mL of ISO
1/4 cup or 60mL of gel

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2020, 08:01:30 AM »
.... I'm trying to get "Tworking"....

Well you certainly have the hips for it, baby.

I've been told that they don't lie.
--dweez

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2020, 08:20:58 AM »

I've been told that they don't lie.

Yep, and neither do I.

Well, the lockdown in London isn't affecting me as firstly I cannot work from home, and secondly, everything I do can be considered essential - especially now I'm qualified to to electrical work. Nonetheless, I don't think I'll work much past this week as I need another rest.

So, Prince Charles has it and only has mild symptoms. That fact buoyed me up a bit as the news has been so dire of late I could feel myself sinking.

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2020, 12:57:04 PM »
Would totally fit edge of buzzword. Mom was watching a let's say, ethnic interest film today on bounce, and every white character in the film spoke in football coach buzzwords.

BOUNCE is an OTA cross border network that plays movies without censorship. They get to say the golly word!  On the negative side, no subtitles.

My roommate got sent home from his walk by the cops today. He does a 3 block loop, and they told him to go home.

So he can't go to work, and he can't do his full walk. This month he makes rent, but next month is a bit of a wildcard of terror for all of us.

Someone shot out a streetlight behind us, presumably to make crimes easier, and it was sparking pretty bad, It's raining. They have it shut off now, and I'm relieved they didn't shut off our power to do it.

That would have made an uncomfortable situation even more miserable.

I wonder about the pressure valves. I've heard child and spousal abuse have exploded.

I'm so sorry 8ully.  That is all pretty crazy.  You just keep your head on tight, have enough food and water.