Author Topic: Is the Corona virus the elephant in the room?  (Read 49402 times)

Online 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Re: Is the Corona virus the elephant in the room?
« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2020, 01:23:17 PM »
I know how to make white gravy, I just thought making it from scratch was a waste of two cups of milk, one of those items people are panic buying.

If I can stir a packet of powder into two cups of water instead, I'm willing to take the "ITS NOT HOMEMADE" hit.

Sunday here. Despite being bioware, I never had any desire to play the dragon age series. It's a bad mix of thatched huts, shitting in buckets, and protagonists essentially getting flayed for being good people.

Bioware lost the plot somewhere. I don't get how you could go from Mass Effect 2 to 3, or how Andromeda was ever possible.

Like, you'll sell more games if your customers are HAPPY.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2020, 05:04:59 PM »
I guess there's gravy with milk in it.  It sounds more like béchamel sauce.  You melt butter (or some kind of fat) add flour, cook, and then add milk stirring until it thickens a bit.  Is that what you mean?  Or is sort of what they add to chipped beef?  It's been so long that I barely remember some of the things we ate that contained meat and white sauce when I was a child.

Online 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #92 on: March 29, 2020, 05:39:27 PM »
Milk, butter, flour, pepper to taste.

Okay, the recipe with the packet white gravy was glorious. Mom added cheddar cheese (it was close to exp) and it was just, fantastic.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 06:07:38 PM by 8ullfrog »

Online 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #93 on: March 30, 2020, 05:08:03 PM »
State struck back, roommate is furloughed, he came home weeping.

This... this is the insidious side of this poo. Specifically, the "Oh, send 50% of your workforce home to help enforce social distancing".

WHO THE golly GETS TO JUST BLITHELY DECIDE THAT?

We already paid rent, we tend to get it in on the 26th to avoid any possible "hiccups" but now... now the fear just gets to sit in my gut for a month.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #94 on: March 30, 2020, 05:50:58 PM »
After a week, he should be able to apply for unemployment benefits with the State, and, once approved, get some relief from the Feds as well.  If he doesn't know, he should start here:
https://www.edd.ca.gov/Unemployment/Filing_a_Claim.htm

I can't apply because I was hired as an intern and there was no intention or obligation to keep me on any longer than they pleased, so I'm screwed in that dept.  Your roommate, after he gets over the initial shock and sense of despair, will be able to get some help.

Online 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #95 on: March 31, 2020, 01:12:34 PM »
Newsom just said he's extending this shitshow until may.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #96 on: March 31, 2020, 03:05:14 PM »
Yesterday, the VA Governor announced a "Stay At Home" order until June 10th but it's pretty much just making official all the proper practices that I've been following for the last 3 weeks.
--dweez

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #97 on: March 31, 2020, 04:08:14 PM »
To be fair, coronavirus is the shitshow, and he doesn't get to choose for how long that stays around.

Newsom is a model of mature governance compared to that wacko in the White House.  On an unrelated subject, I wonder how tarascon is faring in this?  I'll shoot him a line and ask if he's ok.  I finally went after the uncontrolled plant growth in the backyard.  Filled 3 huge green bins and quit when I ran out of space.  We barely made a dent.  At least it's a beautiful day and we got some fresh air and exercise.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 04:10:25 PM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #98 on: April 01, 2020, 10:21:17 AM »
Well the new monitor is the nuts and then some. Not sure I'm liking the lack of productivity it brings with it, but at least it makes the lockdown far less scary.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #99 on: April 01, 2020, 12:03:04 PM »
That monitor looks sick. I'm still just rocking a couple 27" mixed models (ASUS and Viewsonic) from 6+ years ago but I'm definitely considering the curved widescreens when I eventually do upgrade (these still work fine so can't justify it).
--dweez

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #100 on: April 01, 2020, 01:05:18 PM »
This should be in the "things I hate" thread.

Nope. It addresses the lockdown.

That monitor looks sick. I'm still just rocking a couple 27" mixed models (ASUS and Viewsonic) from 6+ years ago but I'm definitely considering the curved widescreens when I eventually do upgrade (these still work fine so can't justify it).

Dragon Age plays at 3840x1200. You have to crane your neck to check your health levels, but even if you don't and get slain, it looks spectacular.

It'll definitely hold back the stir craziness. For a while at least.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #101 on: April 04, 2020, 03:46:07 PM »
Apparently we don't do contrails any more:

It's the 5G masts absorbing the vapour. It's then mixed with the sucked up coronavirus and Bob's your uncle.

Online 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #102 on: April 04, 2020, 05:59:02 PM »
Does anyone have a link on the science test being done that ocean air amplifies spread? I saw it on the news last night but I can't find any sources online.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #103 on: April 04, 2020, 06:21:22 PM »
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-04-02/coronavirus-ocean-swimming-surfing-safe-beaches-los-angeles

From what I understand, there is a danger of spread via fecal matter that can be released into the sea during heavy rains because of sewage overflows.  The crashing waves can aerosolize the virus and make it hazardous for swimmers or surfers.  I'm not sure this is what you were looking for.

Online 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #104 on: April 04, 2020, 09:49:38 PM »
The only thing I can find are the general WHO guidelines that Heat and Humidity will not protect you from the virus, nor will dry cold weather.

golly I hate my local news sometimes. When I tried to find their site I was inundated with notification requests and autoplay video.

This is the poo I WANT to learn about. Like when I see the Governor, I feel like maybe he COULD have been a charismatic speaker, but he's dull as golly!

He uses almost as many adjectives as 45, and keeps talking about how amazing the response has been, and I'm just like "Cool Story Bro".