Author Topic: Is the Corona virus the elephant in the room?  (Read 50287 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Re: Is the Corona virus the elephant in the room?
« Reply #135 on: April 13, 2020, 09:15:15 PM »
Very dumb and possibly sad update here.

NASCAR is currently defunct, you k0000000000000000000000000000000000now why.
But they're doing virtual races in this new moto game. All a bit too serious to me. I liked Forza just fine, but actually sitting and playing a 24 hour race seems batshit to me.000000000000000
Anyway, these people made a super fancy online motorsport... shortly before the pandemic000
So the REAL racers, are racing in the game. And 0000000000000000000000000000

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #136 on: April 13, 2020, 09:19:17 PM »
Wow, quite the keyboard tantrum.

Don't buy Razer... I suppose.

Anyway, two nascar racers have made obvious n00b mistakes while game racing.

poo, I'm afraid of you now 0 key.

The first Nascar racer Rage Quit a session, costing himself one of his ACTUAL, REAL LIFE sponsors.

The second story isn't funny.

Dipshit decided mic check was the time for the N word.

He was already in the last year of his sponsorship contract, he's essentially committed career suicide.

He was the McDonald's driver.

For the technically inclined, I dove under my desk and unplugged the keyboard, that zero thing was going batshit.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #137 on: April 18, 2020, 06:22:23 AM »
I'm interested in what Trump means by the 2nd amendment is under siege? Does the 2nd apply equally across states? What does it have to do with individual state lockdowns and is it a call to start shooting something?

China is just confusing me now. It's changing its figures but backing it up with saying they never under-reported the figures. Which is it? Personally, I think they witheld real statistics for political reasons that led to incorrect modelling that was insufficient to combat the potential of the virus. I also take issue with the persecution of Li Wenliang but I am also worried that Trump is starting to sound like me.

Why do I feel that the situation is getting worse when the world is trying to tell me the opposite.

Thank God I panic bought alcohol.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #138 on: April 18, 2020, 09:44:42 AM »
1) I'm interested in what Trump means by the 2nd amendment is under siege?

2) China is just confusing me now.

3) Why do I feel that the situation is getting worse when the world is trying to tell me the opposite.

4) Thank God I panic bought alcohol.

1.  It's a dog whistle to his idiot base.  They freak out when anything they perceive to be their liberties (taking a gun to the supermarket, church, _(fill in blank with a public place)_____________) is impeded by common sense safety laws.  Here, we now have to wear masks to go out in public.  Are people rioting in the streets?  Nope.

2.  Move over.  You have company.  This is a government that likes to make up its own facts.  Their media releases are not to be questioned.  It boggles the mind that they'd have so few casualties.  But it will probably be years before we know the truth.

3)  I suspect you are right.  Rely on the evidence gathered by your eyes and ears.

4)  I bought a case of wine a couple weeks ago, myself.  I guess if we run out there's always yoga.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #139 on: April 18, 2020, 11:53:42 AM »
.... I guess if we run out there's always yoga.

Is that a red or a white grape?

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #140 on: April 18, 2020, 10:11:28 PM »
NBC is doing a concert for global unity, but if you try to load it on their website, they want your cable login.

Guess I'll just go golly myself then.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #141 on: April 19, 2020, 01:36:53 AM »
I've never been a big fan of tv concerts or award shows.

It is like a cruel joke, though, "promoting global unity" while putting content behind a paywall.  Nice universal access that.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #142 on: April 19, 2020, 02:10:30 AM »
Our laundry was also stolen today. golly everything.

I like the Dri-tech shorts, wicking poo, you know? I'm now wearing the only pair I own.  I looked it up, I can't even get new ones, the factory is shut down for the virus. $15 a pop.

I've been struggling to meet at least THAT level of civility, not sitting in my bless'ed underpants all god damn day.

So now, in addition to the bless'ed CAR, I've got a police report filed on stolen LAUNDRY.

OH golly DAMNIT, my good pair of jeans was in that laundry.

Icing on poo cake? Cops said we should change our door locks, as the thief clearly has building access.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 02:12:50 AM by 8ullfrog »

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #143 on: April 19, 2020, 09:16:21 AM »
God that sucks.  I've always been a hawk on my clothes in bigger towns, but I left them at the mat a few times over the years, never experienced that, but I'd be mad for sure.

I'm still not very good at drinking.  Trying to keep it together.  My mother and my children's father have been disappointing this week, to say in the least.  I dont have to live with either, but as my only family members you'd think they would practice giving a poo.
I'm trying.
Job is still going well, I'm definitely wearing a mask to grocery store shopping and using rubber gloves at the gas station and anywhere else.  I'm doing what I can to help. Its sort of split around here, some people wear masks while others look at each other like they are stupid.  I'm annoyed by everyone, I read psychological apps to help me stop cynical me.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #144 on: April 19, 2020, 11:37:31 AM »
8ully, I am so sorry to hear about your clothes.  That's just awful.  First your car and now this.  People can be so cruel. I checked ebay for them and you can get some more for around $15 a pair.  If you "Watch" items, sometimes if they don't move quickly, the lister will offer you a discount.  I often buy clothes, particularly socks and tee shirts on eBay.

I'm glad to see you back, Bea.  Sorry about the relatives.  But I'm glad you still have work.  Sometimes I get frustrated in the house so I literally pound sand. I dug up a large clump of ornamental grass yesterday and put in some rose bushes that I'd started from clippings.  They have buds so they should be blooming soon.  Sometimes plants are preferable to people.  I'm sore today from fighting with the plants.  That was a large well established clump but it looked bad as the center had died.  I also pulled tons of weeds so that my hands hurt.  At least I can see a difference when I go outside.  That's reassuring.  God knows I need the exercise.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #145 on: April 19, 2020, 04:02:31 PM »
I'm trying to figure out how to make a claim for the self-employed grant that the government is offering for loss of earnings. Turns out I can't until at least mid-May and it's anyone's guess when the funds will become available if my claim is successful. Thankfully I have always done my tax returns (some might remember the VAT crap I have mentioned here) so my earnings are consistent for years past and I am supposedly entitled to claim 80% of that per month while I am out of work.

To be honest I probably wouldn't have even made a claim if the Inland Revenue hadn't refused to listen the mitigating circumstances that made me eligible to pay VAT that I had never received from clients. They were prepared to take £12k from me without a payment scheme because I am self-employed. That would have meant I would have had to sell my expensive machinery, van and cleared out my bank account - effectively putting me out of business - but they didn't give a crap and said it was my own fault and I should cough up.

It wasn't my fault as a matter of fact, but they wouldn't listen.

Anywho, I got it down to £5k with help from the bright boy and life went on.

Now, any funds that I might be entitled to, I am definitely going to claim regardless if I could survive without them. Not really my style but perhaps the government will have to make cuts to the VAT office staffing and what goes around ...

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #146 on: April 19, 2020, 04:45:49 PM »
Those piggy banks are being distributed by... the banks here in the US, and surprise surprise, the giant corporations are at the head of the line.

One article explained the banks are looking to businesses they have favorable relations with... as if that wouldn't just piss me off more. It's another bank bailout under a cowpoo excuse.

United sent an email to all their employees saying they're fired effective October 1st... AFTER the airlines got bailed out.

I have a horrible feeling that the results in November are now predetermined, I can already hear the TV ads "The firm hand that guided us through the storm" and the counter ads, just clips of him blathering on at these daily press conferences.

Sorry, I didn't mean to get political there, it just... all flows like sewage.

I'm trying desperately to look to whatever possible good there is. I'm eating well, we stocked up so I don't have to send Mom out into the ghost zone, which I was feeling guilty about.

My computer is running well despite a slight scare with the bios, oddly enough, unplugging the machine and holding in the power button seemed to clear it. I've been doing that to dells for years, and it was a hail mary attempt, but it worked.

Dog is doing well, shortly before the virus ended life as we knew it, he fell and ripped open his foot. I'm glad it happened then instead of now, taking him to the vet now seems almost impossible. He's mobile now, if mercurial as a cat. That's business as usual.

I'm really missing Goodwill. Like, badly. I didn't realize just mindlessly grazing there meant so much to my brain.

Hey! My Lucky Jeans weren't in the laundry that got stolen. I suppose that is lucky.

All my god damned socks were though.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 02:11:53 AM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #147 on: April 20, 2020, 03:49:37 AM »
I wear teva flip flops 90% of the time. I don't wear them on the bus.

I (didn't) have a lot of pairs of socks, and my shoes tend to last a good long time. I'd say my current pair were purchased around 2013.

If I'm in the city, I don't want to be wearing flip flops.

I do love the damn tevas though, I've fully punctured them, soaked em in the bathtub, and they sealed back up.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #148 on: April 20, 2020, 05:16:48 AM »
You live in California: what are (were) you doing with socks?

Glove puppets when you're lonely.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #149 on: April 20, 2020, 05:45:56 AM »
glue gun and googly eyes I suppose.

But then I've got that googly eyed politician who occasionally bites me. Life is never dull.

I will admit, the laundry thing, it's really looped me. We have a camera in the laundry room, but my roommate supposes it's a dupe.

I sincerely doubt that bless'ed civic and the clothes will suddenly appear in the parking lot, but I'd not complain if it happened.