Author Topic: Is the Corona virus the elephant in the room?  (Read 49299 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: Is the Corona virus the elephant in the room?
« Reply #150 on: April 20, 2020, 09:28:47 AM »
It mystifies me that someone would steal wet used clothing (or did they abscond with them from the dryer)?  They gonna wear em or sell em.  If they don't like them, maybe they show up somewhere in a bag in the neighborhood?

Socks are important.  The dessert can get cold at night, and, aside from that, you don't want your feet sticking to your shoes if it gets hot. 

eBay is a great source for socks, especially varieties that are out of stock or discontinued.  Good prices.  I sound like a huckster for that company, but really.  I just bought more socks this week.  What can I say?  They were a good deal.  New and cheaper than dept. stores.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #151 on: April 20, 2020, 07:09:40 PM »
Well, my roommate went to wash his laundry, and they had re-washed them. That's right, The clothing was returned! Feckers could have sprung for a dryer spin though...

My roommate is spawn camping the laundry room as he doesn't want his poo stolen, I wonder if they will return to the scene of the machine.

I jokingly said maybe they went to sell the clothes online and found out they're worthless. Mom was not amused by my humor.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #152 on: April 20, 2020, 07:35:52 PM »
Well, that's a relief.  Maybe someone got confused and took them by mistake?  Who knows what goofy stuff people are capable of these days.

I was watching the news today and it was not encouraging to hear that this might go on for over a year.  God, if the right wingnuts are protesting staying home after a few weeks, what are they likely to do after months and months of this?  The more I hear about this disease, the more I don't want to leave my house. 

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #153 on: April 20, 2020, 08:58:11 PM »
The socks were still gone. Guess they needed socks.

Got all my athletic shorts back though, felt like Christmas. One pair was missing, but that might be in my clean clothes hamper somewhere.

Georgia is reopening Gyms, Fitness centers, Hair Salons, Movie Theaters, Restaurants, Nail Salons, and Massage Parlors.

You may remember, Kemp already opened the beaches.

And Trump suspended Immigration.

The Boston Globe printed 15 pages of obituaries.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #154 on: April 21, 2020, 05:53:32 AM »
For the first time in 4 weeks I managed to get an iceberg lettuce. I'd almost forgotten what they looked like.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #155 on: April 21, 2020, 12:17:04 PM »
That's because 90% of the iceberg is hidden.

I did well to find it then.

Perhaps they've always been available.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #156 on: April 21, 2020, 01:06:56 PM »
That's because 90% of the iceberg is hidden.

I don't know whether to laugh or groan.
--dweez

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #157 on: April 21, 2020, 04:50:37 PM »
I have to go to the doctor tomorrow.

The roommate being furloughed means I can get a ride from him, the bus has been restricted in a way that my usual way of loading the bus pass the day of would not even be possible, let alone desirable.

I really wish I could just cancel it, but my meds can eat my teeth, bones, and liver if I'm not careful, so I really do have to show up for the bloodletting.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #158 on: April 21, 2020, 05:34:22 PM »
I don't know whether to laugh or groan.
What he said.   ;D

8ully I'm glad you can get a ride as I know how time consuming and annoying public busses can be.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #159 on: April 21, 2020, 06:40:09 PM »
They called me this afternoon to change it to a telepresence interview. I asked about the blood and the phone witch just said that I'm "current" whatever the golly that means.

I welcome the not going into a house of the sick during this curve, but it kind of pisses me off that I went to those blood draw appointments like clockwork and now find out it wasn't as important as I was led to believe. You all know my woes of public transit, I've whined here extensively.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #160 on: April 24, 2020, 12:00:39 AM »
So at today's horrible press conference, doctor UUUGE had some new medical advice.

Injecting disinfectant.

I want to say what that person should inject himself with, but I don't want a visit from the secret service.

Fun fact: A site I was a member on during Bush II, second term, Threatened Bush II. Not only did the secret service try to track the user down, they had an interview with the site owner as well.

That user was named "shitfuck." That's right, a website operator had to deal with the secret service over a user named "shitfuck"

So I'll try to avoid directly threatening the person who suggested INJECTING DISINFECTANTS today. Also, the sun magically kills illness now, despite the fact that standing and REAL medical advice on this is that the virus doesn't give a flying golly what climate you're in.

Like everyone else, I want this nightmare to be over.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #161 on: April 24, 2020, 12:13:19 AM »
I truly dont know what to say about Trump so i will say nothing but :P :-[ :-\

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #162 on: April 24, 2020, 05:15:45 AM »
I find what Trump said yesterday even more incredulous than when he said that he had "natural ability" after the CDC praised his knowledge of the virus. He would have trouble figuring out which way round his underpants should be worn without help from advisers.

What I find most disconcerting for America is that while Trump is temporary, his legacy is tarnishing the credibility of the States long term. And what I find most disconcerning for the rest of us is that while I personally don't like the U.S.A's hobnail boot keeping world order, it does/did (to a lesser or greater degree) do that. Nowadays, I can't see many nations that would fear America with him in charge.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #163 on: April 24, 2020, 09:42:00 AM »
The problems are structural and the person in charge represents a minority of the voters.  How?  The Electoral college, an antiquated and corrupt system that  privileges the preferences of less populous states over those of the greater.  And a long standing system of gerrymandered districts that result in GOP candidates prevailing in what have been historically Democratic districts.  This has been a long, damaging process and most of us just look on it in dismay.  I've taken to the streets, but a fat lot of good that has done.  Even purportedly legal means to remove corrupt or incompetent leaders, such as Impeachment are hamstrung by the machinations of those who do not perform as required, i.e. they prefer party affiliations over the greater good. 

It is beyond sad.  Watching a great idea of governance crumble is a tragedy.   And feeling like there's nothing you can do to stop it is beyond anything I'm capable of describing.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #164 on: April 24, 2020, 10:23:25 AM »
I don't find one person too upsetting, whoever they are and whatever they do. A moran is a moran, a rich bully is a rich bully and we have to just live with them.

What I find upsetting now, and will never forgive, is a nation that lines up in support of that person. That nation may rehabilitate itself at the next election, but I am not very positive about that possibility. All of the nation is tarnished by a "leader" that recommends mainlining bleach (and to buy products that his company sells regardless of their efficacy or health risk), while their staff - including "medical experts" are unable to contradict their glorious leader.

I cannot understand or forgive a party in an ostensibly "democratic" society that stands in lock-step behind a self-interested, authoritarian bully because they are so desperate to cling to power, no matter what the cost to their society and their country, let alone to the rest of the world.

I am desperately trying to avoid invoking Godwin's Law, but i think comparisons are unavoidable.

Is the term "moran" one of those clever, self-contradicting words that can trip up people whom question them?

Trump's idiocy is boundless yet he seems to successfully reign by terror. Some of the exchanges with reporters that have become international news are infuriating and I wish just one of those he puts down would tell him to STFU.

How is he going to spin this latest gaff. Is he going to blame one the lackies around him? Maybe he'll say it's all fake news and he was photoshopped into the footage.