Author Topic: Is the Corona virus the elephant in the room?  (Read 49304 times)

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
Re: Is the Corona virus the elephant in the room?
« Reply #240 on: October 31, 2020, 10:50:25 PM »
Not nice but needed, Wife has informed me how bad local hospitals are !
Some of the stories in the hospital ref visitor's and their attitude  + spreading covid beggar belief  :o :o

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #241 on: November 01, 2020, 06:53:13 AM »
It's official:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/oct/31/uk-coronavirus-boris-johnson-to-give-press-conference-on-new-lockdown-live-news

Yeah, where I said "rumour" I should have said "reliable leak to the press".

The theory is that the leak was to ensure Boris couldn't go back on the idea. Frankly, my view is that we cannot continually go back into lockdowns to protect the health service as the country would eventually collapse in many other ways. Somehow we have to get a point where we can cope with as many cases that present themselves. This would surely mean that all the billions, if not trillions, spent on lockdowns should be redirected to the health service until we are at a point when therapeutics and vaccines are effective and available.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #242 on: November 01, 2020, 11:48:32 PM »
I honestly don't think society can cope.

Too many people flouted any form of restriction, and now we're super turbo ultra mega bent.

Welcome to flu season.

The other part that spun my head around is how many people are ANGRY that Boro listened to Science Advisors.

STUPID SCIENCE BITCHES:

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #243 on: November 02, 2020, 05:23:19 AM »
Another part that scares the poo out of me is that everyone assumes a Vaccine or Cure is right around the corner.

HIV is a virus, that thank god is not as spreadable as Covid-19. There is no vaccine. There is no cure.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #244 on: November 03, 2020, 12:03:09 AM »
Western civilisation has reached the point where the general public doesn't know who to believe. "Science" is not a single block, and a lot of scientists publish according to their paymasters. The smoking debate established the parameters for this type of argument: science (and common sense, obviously) says it is bad for you, but some scientists can be paid to sow confusion. Intuitively we know what we should do, but we also know what we want to do, and if anything even vaguely official can be interpreted to support the latter over the former, we have a tendency to grab that with both hands and run with it. (... and then blame "the scientists" when out all goes pear shaped)

The trouble is that The Sniffle™ is not the zombie apocalypse, and people aren't afraid of the consequences of getting it (the fact that some people die doesn't bother the vast majority, as they are - probably correctly - confident that they won't): I have been watching sports reporting with some interest: when sportsman X gets it, the reporting is universally "how many games will I miss", not "OMG - what if I die!": catching it is viewed as a minor inconvenience that should be shrugged off and - where possible - ignored.

It really doesn't help that every single person that advocates (and/ or imposes) a lockdown doesn't have a clue how or when the lockdown will end: in all cases the lockdown is seen as putting off the inevitable, rather than eradicating the menace. I am beginning to suspect that the only globally available solution is to abandon those that are going to die, but to spread them out a bit so that the peaks don't look too embarrassing. (... whilst pretending that this isn't what is happening: some leaders are better at this pretence than others)

Unfortunately the Stat's have worked against us, as the youth are not as likely to die as us "Old Uns" they know it and party till we do.

reminds me of a movie

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #245 on: November 03, 2020, 03:06:36 PM »
TNG is coming home (Yay!!) as nearly all of his block have already done so. He has to create a new bubble here and he cannot travel back until things change with the restrictions.

I'm pretty chuffed with that to be honest.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #246 on: November 03, 2020, 04:00:21 PM »
I'm glad you're getting your buddy back! With the re-lockdown over there, I was a little concerned. I've been staying in a pseudo-perpetual isolation state, mostly out of the fact that we're perma-working remotely for the foreseeable future.
--dweez

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #247 on: November 04, 2020, 04:04:48 AM »
I hope that you are going to isolate him in the garden shed for 14 days before you let him in range of the rest of the family.

I'm glad he'll be home.  I hope you can work something out.  I have a friend whose son works at a grocery store as a checkout clerk.  He has to undress and shower when he gets home, kind of like something in "Outbreak."  She's immunocompromised (MS) and worries that he'll relay an infection from work.  But you can't stop your kids from living while this goes on.  I think lots of families have to make such choices.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #248 on: November 04, 2020, 04:15:10 PM »
I hope that you are going to isolate him in the garden shed for 14 days before you let him in range of the rest of the family.

You and your predilection for mangers. I ask you.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #249 on: November 05, 2020, 12:37:56 AM »
I have a friend whose son works at a grocery store as a checkout clerk.  He has to undress and shower when he gets home, kind of like something in "Outbreak." 
wife has been doing this for months  ???

hey hoy 4 more weeks to go until the next one

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #250 on: November 05, 2020, 11:50:43 AM »
I have always found that this is the best way to do it. Showering without undressing just makes a mess.

A million years ago, I used to subscribe to the Village Voice, a progressive weekly newspaper from NY City.  One issue featured a daffy suggestion for novel multi-tasking that would turn laundry day into a social event.  It was called something like a "Wash and Wear Party."  You and your guests would all hop in the shower fully clad and soap down to dance music, cleaning your clothes in the process.  It didn't sound all that comfortable to me at the time, but the graphics and accompanying photos were pretty funny. 

COVID has a way of taking all the fun out of everything. 

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #251 on: November 05, 2020, 03:32:42 PM »
I can't say I saw much difference to central London today. It seems a lot of shops have caveats they can use to stay open - including the one I have recently fitted out. Saying that, traffic was halved so I could finally drive the van across the river to drop stuff off rather than being a slave to the delivery options.

Pubs are well and truly closed this time round, though.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #252 on: November 06, 2020, 12:15:01 AM »
I can't say I saw much difference to central London today. It seems a lot of shops have caveats they can use to stay open - including the one I have recently fitted out. Saying that, traffic was halved so I could finally drive the van across the river to drop stuff off rather than being a slave to the delivery options.

Pubs are well and truly closed this time round, though.

Same here ?   Traffic still busy, We even have garden centers open, no idea how they manage that unless a cafe means they can ??
Local brewery can offer (all can) take aways as per last time so I am safe.
Plenty of parties (so gatherings) still apparent on large parks  :o

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #253 on: November 14, 2020, 06:48:55 AM »
I have no idea what it is like outdoors. I don't go there.

How d'ya get outta the tomb then?

So, I don't really understand this new lockdown beyond a few shops being closed. Everywhere is still busy and most outlets have quickly added a click and collect service which allows them to trade, and folk to visit them to collect - which surely defeats the object? Mind you, you can still "collect" from pubs which would be nice if it wasn't pissing down all the time ...

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #254 on: November 14, 2020, 09:28:38 AM »
^Some insight, as usual.  Thanks people.
Here in northern central illinois covid is booming.  I've been sick about three days, in bed.  I don't believe its covid, but I've been out of work for a week to be sure.  The restaurants are back to pick up only, and we have the front deck open for dining.  Not that I'll get in there before its shut down too.  If heard we are going back to complete lockdown, but it's hard to keep up with the rumors to truth in such a larger town than I've been used to in 18 years.
Plus, I gave up months ago in keeping up with any information released to the public, I just sanitize my hands anywhere I go, soon as I'm in the car, and removed and wash when I get home. So far so good. 
I'll get better, i already have, just some wicked sinus infection and my body is unhappy digesting it. I take necessary precautions not to spread.  I stay home.