Author Topic: Is the Corona virus the elephant in the room?  (Read 49340 times)

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
Re: Is the Corona virus the elephant in the room?
« Reply #285 on: December 08, 2020, 09:22:57 AM »
well were off and injecting

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #286 on: December 08, 2020, 02:20:26 PM »
well were off and injecting

Happy days! Did your missus get the jab?
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #287 on: December 08, 2020, 03:35:54 PM »
State rang the bells today.

For real, emergency alert.

I guess they're sick of people treating things casually.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #288 on: December 08, 2020, 03:55:31 PM »
And I think they're running out of hospital beds.  The numbers are going up here, also.  The French think that 2 metres = 24 inches. 

I am hoping we can get a vaccine before we get sick.  We are basically stuck here until travel becomes safer.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #289 on: December 09, 2020, 09:48:44 AM »
Happy days! Did your missus get the jab?

Nope.
None in Leicester at all, all being sent to the lower tier levels leaving us tier 3 wanting. 8)
Hospital she bed coordinates in were seconds away from
declaring a major incident thus shutting the Hospital completely to any new patients.

And I think they're running out of hospital beds.  The numbers are going up here, also.  The French think that 2 metres = 24 inches. 

I am hoping we can get a vaccine before we get sick.  We are basically stuck here until travel becomes safer.

hope so for you as well

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #290 on: December 09, 2020, 12:03:39 PM »
It was a strange day with the news reporting on the first person to have the vaccine, the oldest person to have the vaccine, the tallest person ... I thought that landmark day would be more encouraging and celebratory, but I couldn't feel the joy.

I'm so over COVID. None of us are ever going to get our year back.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #291 on: December 09, 2020, 03:20:22 PM »
Apparently Los Angeles hit capacity.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #292 on: December 10, 2020, 05:46:10 AM »
I wonder whether without the virus Trump would still be holding office for the next 4 years?

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #293 on: December 10, 2020, 08:22:47 AM »
Apparently Los Angeles hit capacity.
Its not nice.

I wonder whether without the virus Trump would still be holding office for the next 4 years?
I wonder

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #294 on: December 10, 2020, 08:55:09 AM »
He might still be, even with the virus. And not just 4: he may still declare himself El Presidente for life. And the Republicans would back him to the hilt, and the Supreme Court. He, and they, don't really care about the vote.

It appears to the layman that we are witnessing the death of democracy in the US: without invoking Godwin's law it appears that historical precedent is being ignored (or followed, depending upon which side one is).

I find myself lost for words when watching news reports about Trump and the GOP in general. It's not their actions that are bewildering, it's the political system. It makes no sense whatsoever for either of the main parties.

The one thing I have learned without a shadow of a doubt about American States, is that they are far, far, far from "united".

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #295 on: December 10, 2020, 11:29:40 AM »
I find myself lost for words when watching news reports about Trump and the GOP in general. It's not their actions that are bewildering, it's the political system. It makes no sense whatsoever for either of the main parties.

The one thing I have learned without a shadow of a doubt about American States, is that they are far, far, far from "united".
what is the American term for Brexit I wonder ???

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #296 on: December 10, 2020, 12:44:24 PM »
what is the American term for Brexit I wonder ???

Same, just with a drawl.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #297 on: December 10, 2020, 04:00:13 PM »
I can barely explain it myself.  It used to be a more fun place to live.  People were nicer to one another.  Since the golden age of Reagan, the GOP has progressively figured out ways to transform a minority party with a shrinking, aging base, into one that dominates half the legislature, the executive and now the supreme court.  And the division of the US into a two class system, economically, has had some really terrible ramifications.  I shake my head and feel powerless to do much about it.  This ain't gonna end well. 

As for Brexit, "gollee, dang, tha's anothah thang I don't get."  Hope that's enough of a drawl for you.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #298 on: December 10, 2020, 05:44:21 PM »
Born under Reagan, so I can't speak on how things were before that. I understand he and Thatcher used the same focus group company to sell "rugged individualism" to the masses. I keep trying to track down the documentary I learned that in, but no luck.

Mom was a plant lady, dad was a truck driver. Ends were met, but luxuries were few. Sometimes dad would take me to Mickey-d's, and we got a VCR of dubious origins.

One of the main problems with describing America is that it is truly vast, and sadly, ever more fractious. For everyone who agrees with the science, I'm willing to bet there are 50 "it's just a flu, you can't force me to wear a mask." If not more.

I've seen people get real pissed over being called "Flyover states" but I'm really starting to feel a burn against those flyover people, and their defiance.

Only NOW has my city cracked down on outdoor restaurants. They should have done that in March. I've said this on several platforms, but Checkers had the take out window process shaved down to a SCIENCE in the year I was BORN.

McDonalds STARTED as a walk-up. You order your food, you hand over the cash, and you GET THE golly OUT OF THERE.

The magic anti-covid forcefields designed for outdoor dining clearly failed. So people should stop.

The Thanksgiving death wave continues to ripple and burn across the nation, but at least the politicians are starting to contract it. I wish they were subject to the same level of care as everyone else, but as always, Money buys better service.

Brexit blew my bless'ed mind when I first read about it. An entire ethos based on SPITE.

Now I'm not saying I love the EU, they do some poo that if they were working class would see their asses kicked, and rightfully so.

But no Nation, Commonwealth, Protectorate, what have you, should operate under the concept of JUCHE. That's some North Korean poo.
(edit: there is only one E in Juche)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 05:47:49 PM by 8ullfrog »

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #299 on: December 11, 2020, 09:09:24 AM »
As for Brexit, "gollee, dang, tha's anothah thang I don't get."  Hope that's enough of a drawl for you.

It was pretty good but were you wearing the right hat?

Brexit blew my bless'ed mind when I first read about it. An entire ethos based on SPITE.

Now I'm not saying I love the EU, they do some poo that if they were working class would see their asses kicked, and rightfully so.

But no Nation, Commonwealth, Protectorate, what have you, should operate under the concept of JUCHE. That's some North Korean poo.
(edit: there is only one E in Juche)

Oddly, Brexit, for all its divisiveness and troublemaking, actually demonstrates a democracy for how it should work. There were no constituencies or block voting, it was one person, one vote and that tallied up to produce a result. Of course there were other factors that skewed the argument - things like the fact that there wasn't many who liked David Cameron and as soon as he announced the referendum there was probably an instant few million that would have voted Brexit to put one over on him. I dare say the same would happen to Trump if he initiated a referendum so controversial, regardless of the validity of what was being debated/decided.

However, in my opinion the E.U could do nothing but make this the most painful process ever so that organisations like The M5S and other Eurosceptic parties would fade away. I think they've done a good job doing that but the sensationalism created in the process has demonised that democratic vote and I was shocked today how readily they capitulated to Viktor Orban, as his idealogy/politics threatens Europe far more than Brexit ever would.