Author Topic: Is the Corona virus the elephant in the room?  (Read 49317 times)

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
Re: Is the Corona virus the elephant in the room?
« Reply #330 on: January 05, 2021, 12:25:34 AM »
Round 2 / 3 / ?
Basically same old same old, Need to enforce what is in place now with gusto

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #331 on: January 05, 2021, 03:42:45 AM »
I think I've seen this movie: is this the one where the police shoot anyone they see in the streets to enforce the curfew?
European film by chance

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #332 on: January 05, 2021, 11:21:16 AM »
25% infection rate in San Diego.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #333 on: January 05, 2021, 12:05:50 PM »
1 in 30 people currently have the virus in London. That's pretty shocking.

Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #334 on: January 06, 2021, 04:43:43 AM »
On the upside, 29 in 30 don't.

Well I have just found out that someone else that I knew quite well has passed away from COVID. What's more alarming for me is that I found out due to it being a news article on the London BBC. I wasn't really paying much attention to the TV but then her name was mentioned and her niece was interviewed. Made me sit up for sure.

Her name was Jan Docker and she taught at my kids' primary at the back of my house:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-55554293

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #335 on: January 06, 2021, 08:58:45 PM »
I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your friend.  I fear that the new strain will result in even more fatalities.  I 'm more inclined than ever to stay home except for grocery shopping, and even to do as little of that as possible. Stay safe, everyone.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #336 on: January 07, 2021, 12:23:45 AM »
Well I have just found out that someone else that I knew quite well has passed away from COVID. What's more alarming for me is that I found out due to it being a news article on the London BBC. I wasn't really paying much attention to the TV but then her name was mentioned and her niece was interviewed. Made me sit up for sure.

Her name was Jan Docker and she taught at my kids' primary at the back of my house:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-55554293

so sorry for you

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your friend.  I fear that the new strain will result in even more fatalities.  I 'm more inclined than ever to stay home except for grocery shopping, and even to do as little of that as possible. Stay safe, everyone.

wise choice

Wow the area where I work is on national TV ref high covid rate, more testing so a higher number.  Been in tier 4 since March 2020 and has never come out.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 12:30:46 AM by goldshirt*9 »

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #337 on: January 28, 2021, 04:02:04 AM »
I'm getting a little pissed off with all the criticism toward the government at the moment. I am no fan of the Tory party nor any of the leaders of any of the political parties to be honest, but as I have catalogued here over the last year there can be no doubt of the reasons behind our high infection rates - and subsequent death rate.

I picked my wife up from work on Monday as it was freezing and she has to walk about a mile and a half to get home. Between here and her work place I must have seen 200 joggers. As there was still remnants of the weekend's snow and that it was also pissing down, most of them were not running on Clapham Common (too muddy) but on the pathway around it. They were in bunches of 6+ joggers almost shoulder barging the pedestrians as they passed them. Now, the criticism of the government is they are not tough enough but these people are just stretching rules to beyond breaking point while staying within them.

Another thing that gets me about the media's reporting of lockdown "violations" is that none of the journalists report on each other. They are all for outing MPs, policement, even doctors occasionally. But never, so it seems, has a journalist ever done a thing wrong. I find that very hard to believe.

Rant over.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #338 on: January 28, 2021, 01:15:04 PM »
I picked my wife up from work on Monday as it was freezing and she has to walk about a mile and a half to get home. Between here and her work place I must have seen 200 joggers. As there was still remnants of the weekend's snow and that it was also pissing down, most of them were not running on Clapham Common (too muddy) but on the pathway around it. They were in bunches of 6+ joggers almost shoulder barging the pedestrians as they passed them. Now, the criticism of the government is they are not tough enough but these people are just stretching rules to beyond breaking point while staying within them.

Another thing that gets me about the media's reporting of lockdown "violations" is that none of the journalists report on each other. They are all for outing MPs, policement, even doctors occasionally. But never, so it seems, has a journalist ever done a thing wrong. I find that very hard to believe.

Rant over.

Been reading about the abuse Runners have been receiving and yet have seen none myself (I choose to run early doors though ( cannot stay asleep after 5.30am) see lots of wildlife and no people).
Agree with you, if behaving badly ( as per anyone) then give em a nudge into the mud. ;D

Interesting the abuse / support Gary Lineker received on twitter Sunday after showing a vid of him travelling to the big game in the atrocious storm to speak prior during and at the end of the match.
Not essential and football was essential from either side. Kinda sums up this lockdown in a tweet or two hundred ;D

You just got it off your chest, which is needed at times :)

I personally think Big B will be thrown to the wolves when we are at a "state of near normal" to keep the party in power.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #339 on: February 14, 2021, 12:15:12 PM »
My missus had the Oxford jab today and she hasn't (so far) experienced any ill effects from it.

Big relief to be honest as now
Spoiler (hover to show)

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #340 on: February 15, 2021, 12:49:31 AM »
My missus had the Oxford jab today and she hasn't (so far) experienced any ill effects from it.

Big relief to be honest as now
Spoiler (hover to show)
thats good news

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #341 on: February 15, 2021, 06:57:54 AM »
My weekly trip to Waitrose to buy Saturday's paper is the big event of the week!

I'm not surprised in that car.

So the missus had a bit of a rough night. She didn't feel unwell at all but displayed the symptoms of being so. I could have put her to sleep in the hallway and she'd have heated the flat. When she woke this morning she was right as rain and plodded off to work early.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #342 on: February 16, 2021, 09:05:45 AM »
I'm glad she's feeling better.  We went onto the Dutch gov't website to make an appointment for the Pfizer vaccine.  Who knows if they will come through, but I'm hoping they will take pity on us.  The French appear to be hopeless, except for our elderly parent, who is over 75.  We plan to schedule his vaccines for after another minor surgical appointment next week.  It's a big production to transport him to the docs as his ability to get around isn't what it once was.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #343 on: February 17, 2021, 03:52:25 PM »
I went back to work today for the first time since just before Christmas. It was pretty grueling and I realised (again) just how much I need the pub, a holiday and, above all, a laugh. All those things (and more) are pretty unattainable with this damn virus about.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #344 on: March 08, 2021, 10:48:51 AM »
I have my appointment for the jab next Tuesday and I very happy about it. I don't suppose it will make any difference to the way I lead my life as my profession was always unaffected, but at least I can rest easy that TNG isn't going to get his grubby little hands on my monitor any time soon.

Touch wood.