Author Topic: Is the Corona virus the elephant in the room?  (Read 50156 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Re: Is the Corona virus the elephant in the room?
« Reply #345 on: March 08, 2021, 11:33:39 AM »
My roommate got his first dose yesterday.

I'm 1c, which appears to be the end of the line.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #346 on: March 09, 2021, 12:27:09 AM »
I have my appointment for the jab next Tuesday and I very happy about it. I don't suppose it will make any difference to the way I lead my life as my profession was always unaffected, but at least I can rest easy that TNG isn't going to get his grubby little hands on my monitor any time soon.

Touch wood.

If Astra then get some painkillers in, if luck no side effects, if not then slight flu symptoms for a day or so.
I am 1 year below the injections

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #347 on: March 10, 2021, 12:28:57 AM »
Get my jab next Tuesday, local GP  :)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #348 on: March 10, 2021, 08:14:07 AM »
Congrats.  I get the second in a couple of weeks.  I hear it's usually worse than the first.  Had a sore arm and some fatigue.  Hopefully it won't be much worse than that. 
Let us know how you feel afterwards.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #349 on: March 11, 2021, 12:25:05 AM »
depends on the person, wife had no effects on the second other than a slightly sore upper arm,
I have the Astra jab, she had the Pfizer.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #350 on: March 16, 2021, 04:37:32 AM »
Just back from my Astra' jab and so far no free blood clots. Got to be honest, not sure if they used a fine needle or something but I didn't feel the jab at all.

Here's a thing: speaking to my current client, he told me one of his work colleagues developed a blood clot a few days ago about a week after his jab. Thing is, he had the Pfizer vaccine so what does that prove? My guess is that if under normal circumstances 2 in a 1000 people will randomly develop blood clots, you'd be able to correlate that with just about anything they do - like drinking tea or breathing air ...
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #351 on: March 16, 2021, 05:47:58 AM »
Hope all continues to go well for you.  I read a good deal about the blood clots, and the connection to A-Z vaccine is inconclusive.  The population getting the AZ vaccine is older, and older people are more prone to blood clots.  All three of the major vaccines have been connected to lower platelet counts (you can get blood clots with low platelets), but it's hard to say if this is a big problem.  There have been deaths associated with brain bleeds from clots, but whether they were caused by the vaccine is not known.  People are being careful to avoid repeating the problem until they are sure the vaccine isn't the culprit.  But so far, there's no real compelling evidence to link it as a cause.

We are waiting for my husband to get an appt here.  The Dutch have been distributing BioNTech/Pfizer (that's what I got) and will also use AZ, so we have no idea what the deal is.  We are thinking of seeing a Dutch doc to see if his pre-existing health conditions and role as caretaker for an elderly parent might help him secure an appt.  The more people get vaccinated the sooner the proliferation that has been fostering new harder to control variants can be tamped down.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #352 on: March 16, 2021, 08:06:32 AM »
Hope all continues to go well for you ....

4.5hrs in and still no ill effects.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #353 on: March 16, 2021, 01:21:08 PM »
Thanks to both of you for letting us know what effects you've experienced.  My main concern with AstraZeneca is that it appears to be less effective against the strain that is ravaging South Africa, and that is working its way through Latin America.  The Brazilian strain also sounds particularly nasty, and we are anxious to get some protection as we are not so very far from our neighbors to the south, and there's plenty of migration between those places and here.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #354 on: March 16, 2021, 02:56:51 PM »
I had mild lassitude for 72 hours: no pain, nausea or particular unpleasantness.

mrs. christ on the other hand has been a moaning minnie: nausea/ fever/ splitting headache/ interrupted sleep for 24 hours (so far).

Both Astra Zeneca.

I guess everyone reacts differently.

Nearly 12hrs and nada so far. I do have a tiny red mark where the needle went in but I ain't getting no love from the fam' for it.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #355 on: March 17, 2021, 01:55:00 AM »
Well it's nearly a day later and I think I might have a little aching from the jab, but then, I always have a little aching from something so the jury's still out. Either way, I was definitely short changed in side effects.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #356 on: March 17, 2021, 05:46:32 AM »
I'm glad you are not feeling any undue unpleasantness.  Sad to hear about Mrs. C.  My sister had Moderna and was miserable for the first day or so:  fever, chills, headache, etc.  I think there's a 28 day interval between the two jabs for that one.  I get the second Pfizer next Tues. so I will see how that goes.  It's supposed to be worse than the first.  So, more sore arm, and maybe fatigue will be worse.  I can deal with that. 

I was reading about the clever and nasty virus and its ability to adapt in ways that will eventually minimize the effectiveness of the vaccines.  So medicine is still working on ways to outsmart it.  https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2021/03/how-sars-cov-2-evades-immune-system-defenses/

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #357 on: March 17, 2021, 07:44:01 AM »
Well it's nearly a day later and I think I might have a little aching from the jab, but then, I always have a little aching from something so the jury's still out. Either way, I was definitely short changed in side effects.
slight headache and aching neck, thighs.
Its worth it

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #358 on: March 17, 2021, 07:51:07 AM »
slight headache and aching neck, thighs.
Its worth it

Not really getting much of anything. I am tired, but that's not unusual if I take a day off as I never really get oxygenated.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #359 on: March 18, 2021, 07:58:49 AM »
feel a lot better today, slight aches have gone (except the age ones).
roll on the second