Author Topic: Old Food  (Read 65 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Human
Old Food
« on: May 21, 2020, 09:46:38 AM »
Magic ways to revive old food.

Shriveled potatoes, if not too far gone, can be peeled, cut into chunks and then left to sit in a bowl of cold water for a few hours.  They magically absorb the water and regain their former firmness.  It's a miracle.

Celery, lettuce, basil and swiss chard, can be revived like wilted flowers by cutting off the bottoms/stems and placing in a quart mason jar of water.

Got any other tips?  I'm sort of waking up, but got a wild hair to post this as it's been pretty quiet around these parts, lately.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 09:49:21 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Human
Re: Old Food
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 09:27:08 AM »
Sorry, I don't really store food, so I'd be of no use in this thread. For me old food generally means cheese gone mold or hot dog buns gone mold. Not much savings there.
just one little time change so a draft board in 1968 turns down the bribe to accept "bone spurs" and we are home-free.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Human
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 03:18:11 PM »
You make me realize how much extra space is important for food storage.  I planted tons of tomatoes that hopefully will allow me to put them up.  Once canned they last for years.  I have canned food and pasta that take up space, but they are shelf stable and make for easier meal planning.  I can also take advantage of sales and stock up on cheaper staples.  If you live under circumstances where space is at a premium, it's much harder to do that.  So I am lucky in that regard.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 10:58:03 AM »
Magic ways to revive old food.

Shriveled potatoes, if not too far gone, can be peeled, cut into chunks and then left to sit in a bowl of cold water for a few hours.  They magically absorb the water and regain their former firmness.  It's a miracle.

Bugger! Just threw away half a bag of wrinkly potatoes before reading this. If anything, it would have been a perfect opportunity to test the theory as I'm amazed to discover this.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Human
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 11:43:07 PM »
Yep. Potato miracle.  Lots of food gets wilty or less than ideal looking and a little rehydration does wonders.