Author Topic: Windows 10 20H2  (Read 2133 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Windows 10 20H2
« on: May 16, 2021, 05:06:25 AM »
Been a while since I posted one of these.

I had to run this feature update because windows "discontinues" things a lot more rapidly these days. Essentially, if you don't run the updates on time, you're poo out of luck for virus definitions in defender.

I suppose that's one way to strongarm the userbase.

Sure enough, like many other feature updates, 20H2 reenabled services I'd disabled to improve performance and extend hardware life. Windows Search Index is now just called Windows Search

Windows Superfetch is now called SysMain, which would probably cause a novice to hesitate before disabling it. I found that offensive. The descriptor is also offensive. It claims to improve system performance over time.

In reality, it's a dragass bless'ed process that should have been culled long ago. As in, they should have got rid of that poo in 2017.

Now I'm wondering which services I should kill that I DON'T know about.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: Windows 10 20H2
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 05:39:24 AM »
I had this huge update at the end of April and it basically borked just about eveything I was running. I had to uninstall and re-install shitloads just to get back to normal. Even now my firewall hates everything.

Had a ton of BSODs since too.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Re: Windows 10 20H2
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 05:48:10 AM »
The way I knew Search Index was back is that it spun up the floppy drive.

It was a familiar incident. Now I just need to remember these bless'ed feature updates require Services.msc whack-a-mole.

Apparently the "deadline" was May 11th. So you just got it early.

I hear there is ANOTHER huge update, but not everyone has to do it, and it's tied to 20H2.

I think they should go around the windows update department, fire half the fuckheads, and smack the other half with a rolled up newspaper.

Then bring back the service packs. No matter how bless'ed unpopular they are internally, users knew what the golly that meant.

Feature updates just seem like someone snuck into your home and bent with your computer, to no benefit!

son of a madam, I just got the "Windows needs to update!" message. Wish me patience.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 06:03:56 AM by 8ullfrog »