Author Topic: Insane Saga of New Dog.  (Read 5062 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Insane Saga of New Dog.
« on: July 09, 2021, 10:54:47 AM »
We lost Pikachu several months ago, it was agonizing. He contracted some disease, we suspect leptospirosis, but he could not keep in water or food, he was constantly voiding. It was cruel to prolong that. The vets convinced Mom that euthanasia was the kindest option.

It destroyed Mom.

My Aunt on the other side of the country fosters small dogs, and the house was feeling overly full. One of the fosters hit that sweet spot in temperament and disposition that my Aunt decided he was perfect for mom.

Mom had a friend who was flying to the area my Aunt lives in for a business conference, and she offered to fly the dog back.

My Uncle accidentally called the rescue organization instead of the friend, and the rescue organization FORBADE the dog from being adopted out of said area, and said some particularly nasty things about California.

So that got kiboshed.

My Aunt decided "golly the rescue organization" and started working on alternatives. There was an unexpected death in the family, that Mom had decided to fly out for the funeral.

American Airlines cancelled her ticket.

My Aunt decided to use a Veteran based dog transport company to send the dog cross country via van.

In Texas, the dog transporter LOST THE DOG, and decided to continue on his route, (Multiple dogs in van) rather than make any attempt at finding the dog.

My Uncle, still feeling guilty about the errant phone call, went full Ace Ventura, and managed to track down the dog. He had a hell of a time talking the people that found the dog out of giving him up, they wanted to keep the dog.

The transporter further put himself on my bad side by not letting the dog out of the crate between Texas and California. I sure as golly couldn't hold my bladder that long, and I don't blame the dog.

So I had to carry a teeny tiny dog in a crate sized for dobermans to the apartment, and got to pay the transporter $500 for the privilege.

Needless to say "Thank you" was not in my vocabulary.

The dog has certainly cemented his reputation as an escape artist. If a car door in the alley opens, his ears pop up like a fox.

Mom has lit up like a light bulb, she is so much happier now.

The dog is affectionate, and actually enjoys being groomed. Mom gave him a bath, and brushes him like a little princess, while he preens.

It's weird having a nice dog. I'm still wired for my mean dog.

I know the world is on fire, but I'll still gladly take the quiet life. These complications are no fun.

American airlines also reinstated the ticket without telling mom, just pulled the $500 back out of her bank account, so she's still going out to the East Coast to visit family.

I hope nothing crazy happens with the dog while she is away.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 10:23:03 AM by 8ullfrog »

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: Insane Saga of New Dog.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2021, 03:26:20 PM »
Ahh, the pitter patter of tiny feet.

Congrats on acquiring a decent and loving pet. I own a cat so I have no idea what that must feel like.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2021, 06:05:17 PM »
What a crazy adventure that little dog had, getting to your house.  Given all the twists and turns, it must have been meant to be.  I'm glad it's cheered your mom.  I know that pets are really crucial to mental health.  I was so much happier when I found my first parakeet.  After she died, I waited 6 months for another one, and he was a real charmer, also.

It sounds like the dog adores your mother and will probably be relatively easy to care for while she's away.  It will also be a good chance for the two of you to bond separately.  So, congratulations on the new ray of sunshine.

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2021, 09:52:30 AM »
Ahh, the pitter patter of tiny feet.

Congrats on acquiring a decent and loving pet. I own a cat so I have no idea what that must feel like.
Exactly my sentiment.  I wouldn't even enjoy a nice animal as much as I do when my cat forbade me or anyone to pet her. 
8ully, that was a captivating tale.  Sounds like a movie about a dog just trying to get through.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2021, 10:21:03 PM »
Mom is off to the East Coast for a celebration of life (The deceased hated funeral homes and made his wishes clear)

The dog has known "something is up" all day.

He threw a tantrum when I fed him, shook his food all over the kitchen. Then he realized what he did. So now dinner is a where's waldo quest.

When I came to see what the noise was about, he gave me a look like "I can't believe I was that stupid".

Good news is he did eat the food. I hope he behaves on his walk.
{He did not}
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 11:44:44 PM by 8ullfrog »

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2021, 02:04:43 AM »
Ahh, the pitter patter of tiny morsels of food being strewn about.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2021, 12:57:50 AM »
Today was the pill saga.

He's being treated for crystals in his urine, and my urge to kill the transporter is rising. Getting the dog to... go is difficult. He does enjoy walking though.

So the morning pill, he fought me tooth and nail, literal. He has one small tooth on the upper right side, and he kept pushing the pill out through there until I had to hold his muzzle shut, which he of course loved. (untrue.)

'Bout 10 hours later, it's time for night pill, and he gobbles it down like it's steak. Ravenously. Weird thing? Same pill. Just an AM/PM cycle.

Other things I learned today.

He doesn't like peanut butter
He will turn his nose up at meat, which I have NEVER seen a dog do, unless it is torn into small pieces. (I used sandwich turkey)
He wants to sit in the middle, wherever he sits. This makes sharing a space with him difficult, but he ended up turning a bag of laundry into a bed.
On one hand, I can't put my clean laundry away. On the other hand, it's completely adorable and he is behaving himself.

Might swap the clothes out for a pillow, see if he still considers it his throne. (I use pillowcases for laundry bags, so this shouldn't be too difficult.)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 01:00:08 AM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2021, 09:43:35 PM »
That sounds like a funny and curious dog.  I'm glad you are having fun with him.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2021, 12:31:17 AM »
Since all the lockdown concept, just about everyone I know has bought a dog. Even now I'm finding more people becoming dog owners for the first time and I think it's because it legitimises going out if you're pinged to quarantine.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2021, 08:35:15 AM »
joy of becoming a dog owner
the joys and laughs do out weight the interesting times  ;)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2021, 01:10:43 AM »
Personally, I'm not a fan of dog poo. It's definitely a design flaw.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2021, 02:03:25 AM »
He poo part of a bag. He is literally a vacuum cleaner. I dropped some ice, most dogs would lick it and then back off, finding it unpleasant? This demon? CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP.  Chain chomp in Mario is his spirit animal.

At least the pill problem is sorted. I crumble it up and drop it on the floor and it's the grate-est thing since cheese. Get it, like a cheese grate- forget it.

I can't get him to bathroom outside, which is unpleasant. Roommate refused to buy swifter juice until tomorrow, so I used vinegar. He complained about the smell of vinegar, I told him it beats the alternative.

I'm fairly displeased with roommate right now. He told mom he'd help take care of the dog while she's gone, and he's taken the dog out ONCE this week. He loves lecturing me on feeding and watering the dog though. Dog gets fed on a schedule, and there are THREE water bowls in the apartment. I'm not looking for advice surveys.

A homeless lady was trying to pet him on the walk a few nights ago, he was running around me like a tetherball pole. She asked if he was a baby Aussie, I said he was an Irish Chihuaha. That's a lie, he's just a Chihuahua, but he's a curly haired one, looks a bit like lassie.

Sure enough this was a prelude to asking for money, I pointed out I had no pockets, just the dog.

He's been my alarm clock this week, he loves punching me right up the nose while I sleep.

He also likes standing in the bathtub. Not for water or coolness, just to be weird.

Which type of demon, sorry, Dog did you summon Smokes?

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2021, 03:33:51 PM »
Which type of demon, sorry, Dog did you summon Smokes?

I've never owned a dog as I'm not good with responsibility. Or should I say, I'm not good picking up dog poo - I think it's the same difference?

Now cats, on the other hand. Lord love 'em.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2021, 07:59:33 PM »
Yeah, the night with the bag was rough.

Today he's been mostly well behaved. Compared to most days he's been stellar. No nails up the nose wake up call, I was able to get up at a reasonable hour.

Either his rhythm has caught up to being in California or he's decided to give me a reprieve.

Swifter juice was on discount, which was pleasing. The replacement bottles are also larger than the bottle that came with the mop.

Funny enough, there are people online who have videos on how to "jailbreak" the bottle so you can refill it yourself.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2021, 02:17:32 AM »
I know, bumping my own thread, but I thought an update was warranted.

I'd honestly forgotten the role my uncle played in the "saga". He's the one who recently passed.

The dog truly has been a gift, even if he seemed a bit of a curse when we got him.

He still does the food tantrum occasionally. Sits expectantly while food is poured, and then BAM, punches it all over the floor.

He has brought a light back to my mom that I cannot be thankful enough for. That being said, one night she tripped walking him, so I have taken over quite a bit in that regard. (She broke the poo out of her foot).

She's recovered enough to take the day walks, and I don't mind taking the night walks for her safety.

He is still a bolter, so the front door is a bit of a flashpoint. Thankfully if you pull his leash off the wall (next to door) and ask if he wants to go for a walk, his bolting.exe process misfires, and he returns to be leashed.

I know we're past thanksgiving, but I'm tremendously grateful to both my Aunt and Uncle.