Author Topic: Pringles Moa Burger  (Read 3249 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Pringles Moa Burger
« on: July 15, 2021, 01:37:29 PM »
I'm a sucker for de-fictionalization. I even bought a health potion from Final Fantasy 7.

So when I heard that Pringles made a halo chip based on an extinct bird, I was excited.

Having consumed them, I am less excited.

Several years back they changed something about the mix on the pringles, giving them a mealy texture when you eat them that I find unpleasant. That change appears to be permanent.

The chips are "wavy" but they do warn you about that up front.

Finally, they pretty much taste like the existing BBQ pringles flavor, which I liked, but they added something that tastes like soy sauce.

Final verdict? They taste good, I'm not a fan of the texture, and I'm a huge sucker for targeted marketing.

They were cheap.

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
Re: Pringles Moa Burger
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 08:21:33 PM »
Halo chip based on an extinct bird?
That's sucks the chips sucked

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 12:25:15 AM »
I mean, the Teriyaki flavor was nice, it's just the delivery vector sucked. First, the mushy modern pringle, and then the pointless ridging.

I wonder why they couldn't do an honest Teriyaki flavor. That's what it was.

It's weird, the 90's were a crazy time for chips, they tried all sorts of weird crap. I remember particularly liking taco bell doritos.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2021, 06:42:09 AM »
There's lots of good flavored chips here:  smoked ham; braised or roast chicken flavor; all super salty but tasty.  Most are French brands like Bret, but I was amazed that Lays also sells them here in the French grocery chains.  I don't remember seeing Lays flavored chips in the US, beyond the usual barbeque or salt & vinegar.  Maybe you can enlighten me on this as I'm not a U.S. chip expert.  I do love Utz, but they're a Pennsylvania brand not usually available on the West Coast.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2021, 10:01:53 AM »
One of our crisp manufacturers does something similar from time to time: they spent a bunch advertising "hedgehog" flavour for a while.

Whilst on the subject of "flavours", it always amuses me that beef flavour crisps are suitable for vegetarians (and sometimes vegans). What would a veggie want with beef flavour?

Sometimes it's nice to roll with the grown-ups.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2021, 12:45:13 PM »
I expect that some people are vegetarians because they can't easily digest meat, but miss the flavors, so beef or jam flavored potato chips may be a way for them to enjoy them.

As I've never eaten a hedgehog, I can't begin to imagine the flavor.  Do they taste like chicken?  Maybe they can try iguana flavor, next.  Iguanas apparently do taste like chicken.  We have some in the yard that I'd be happy to donate to the cause.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2021, 03:52:29 PM »
I would be interested in some numbers on this, but unfortunately all of the numbers one can find come from sources that are not particularly credible as they all seem to have an axe to grind or an agenda to further.

If I were to guess, it would be that the majority (probably the vast majority) are vegetarian because they either don't want to eat Bambi or they want to save the planet: the "meat is indigestible" among them would be, in my completely unscientific guesswork, a small minority.

Based on this ridiculously data-free view, I am constantly surprised by the need for plant-based sausages, tofu burgers, and imitation bacon etc. There are delicious vegetables and vegetable meals, so why on earth is there a need to pretend that it is meat, by making it meat shape or meat flavour.

... another mystery is how the moral vegetarian is going to avoid, or philosophically reject, lab-grown meat.

In this country the biggest vegetarian movement was due to the abhorent treatment of animals due to greed driven industrial farming and bizarre British/European politics. There was a point we were up to about 5% of the population abstaining from meat. Then organic farming came to the rescue and it was all forgiven.

Except by those with CJD.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2021, 03:36:47 PM »
But they all died, so that didn't last.

Yup. And now we have wishy-washy flexitarians which makes just about everyone annoyed.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2021, 04:07:16 PM »
I've heard that story where the beef chips were suitable for vegetarians, but the cheese and onion ones were NOT.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2021, 05:22:18 PM »
Probably not the case now, but when I worked at Olive Gardens, we would have vegans come in, being very vocal about it. Would get the salad and I think the minestrone soup and would eat tons and tons of the bread sticks, raving about it. Cook in the back was cracking up saying that the butter spread over them had meat by-products in it.
--dweez

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2021, 05:15:59 AM »
That's unusual.

"How do you tell if someone is a vegan"?
"You don't have to, they will tell you".

From my viewpoint being a vegan is like a lot of things that youths do; a way of demonstrating how politically aware one is, before reality has sunk in.

I don't disagree, but.

It is strange that people (generic, not specific) buy the cheapest meat available, whilst bemoaning the methods used to create that cheap meat. Some people seem to be completely unaware of their own part in this, finding it easier to blame politicians and fat cats. I find it amusing that I can stand in ASDA listening to two little old ladies doing their shopping whilst bemoaning the fact that the politicians have let the high street die.

Don't get me wrong, politicians and fat cats bear a share of the blame, but so do we, the consumer.

When the movement here gathered pace Asda had to shut it's abatoirs as they were found to be some of the most inhumane in the country.

Your comment is on the money as I have always been involved in animal welfare but loved a well cooked half pound burger. It was at the point when the exposés came out about people in abbatoirs not giving a crap about where they shot the bolt, the bovine growth hormone being used to extremes (which caused mad cow disease - at least in part) and things like transporting cattle in crates from the north of Britain to France just so the French could slaughter them on French soil and call it French beef or whatever.

At this point a gave up meat so as not to be a hypocrite and in protest of the methods used.

I don't go on about it as people claim (I hear far more comments about eating meat from people that do) but some people do call me out on the error in my ideology which is I should eat organic meat as it would support that industry. Problem is, I'm good at giving things up when I put my mind to it.