Author Topic: Asteroid belt menus  (Read 5729 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: Asteroid belt menus
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2023, 10:31:20 AM »
Ah.  You've gotta love the internet.  I don't remember this film as being one of those that would stand up to a second viewing.  Maybe a candidate for Mystery Science Theatre?

I don't think of lots of SciFi films where people eat much.  Maybe they take nutrition for granted.  Star Trek came up with the mystery "get what you want" replicator food distribution, kind of like a souped up Automat for the future.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2023, 08:46:50 AM »
I know it's been quite a while, but even on star trek they complained about the replicators being crap. They had a whole song and dance with Counselor Troi, arguing with the replicator about chocolate (fuggin youtube nuked the clip) but Voyager shockingly did it better. Hot. Plain. Tomato soup.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2023, 05:07:04 PM »
I wonder where they even get raw ingredients in space?  That they could synthesize or even grow the plants that produce tomatoes seems a bit much.  Ever since I read the Expanse series, I frequently think "I doubt I'd be eating citrus on an asteroid belt, or chocolate, or......"  The fragility of our terrestial botany really stands out the more I think  about the intensity of sunlight, the warmth, the moisture, so many factors that could cause disaster by their absence or overprevalence.

It's funny to hear that guy so frustrated with the replicator.  I felt that way when I was logging on to my credit card acct today, realizing I'd forgotten my p/w again and getting annoyed at all the hoops I had to jump through just to pay a bill.  I guess it beats writing a check and posting it.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2023, 07:24:23 PM »
Star Trek does handwave some details, but the replicator is described as a "matter resequencer". (My browser does not like that word)
Voyager actually runs into exactly that problem; they can't stop by a starbase and resupply.

Their solution is to pick up a local guide, who enjoys the flavor of mold. (Neelix)

Replicator use is strictly rationed in the delta quadrant, so you're going to be eating Neelix's cooking whether you like it or not.
Neelix is also a known liar, so he may be feeding them bad tasting stuff on purpose.

Delta Quadrant food run:
« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 07:36:04 PM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2023, 11:28:10 AM »
Wow.  That's sad.  Funny how some foods that look appetizing via their resemblance to others can be toxic.  I quit watching Star Trek after TNG.  I just lost interest.  Stargate was more fun and Battlestar Galactica.  I can't remember what they ate in either one of those shows, though.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2023, 09:31:01 PM »
Ds9 went into the mechanics of things a lot more, they even occasionally visited "waste extraction".
Power makes a bit more sense on DS9, they're running a massive fusion reactor (It's the red, gem like thing hanging from the bottom of the station.)

One of the few things I disliked about BSG is they would occasionally "borrow" plot points or character interactions from Ds9.

DS9 also has restaurants, including one that is just called KLINGON RESTAURANT. The chef of said restaurant sings opera.

They have a replimat for the federation communists that don't really have money, but Starfleet gives the officers stationed on Ds9 a stipend, so they can hit the bar for real, genuine Root Beer.

Battlestar Galactica at the start the ships had frozen food storage, they kind of bent that up in the episode "Black Market" which is widely considered one of the worst in the series.

Stargate had the comissary, and it was occasionally vital to the week's plot.

Unlike Star Trek, Replicators are bad guys.
Later on they get matter sequencing from the asgard.

I could not find the vital debate Jack had with Daniel about potatoes. :(
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 09:42:24 PM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2023, 01:08:48 AM »
Ha!  I'd forgotten both the commissary and the replicators on SG.

As for the Klingon restaurant that was run by an opera singer, I used to go to an Italian restaurant in Boston's North End that had singing waiters.  They would actually sing about how great it was to eat there, and the cooks would sing back from the kitchen.  That place was amazing.  It had great food and the best canolis I've had anywhere.  Villa Francesca.  I don't know if it's still there.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2023, 10:50:16 PM »
Youtube has fed me an amazing, anti-replicated meal.

The video has Troi's anti-replicator rant on chocolate.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 10:52:48 PM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2023, 03:45:44 AM »
That was entertaining.  It also made me glad that I stopped with TNG.

There's so many odd fruits on Earth with multiple ways of preparation.  Lately I have been exploring persimmons because they are so plentiful here this time of year.  Slightly oblong orange fruits with pulp the consistency of snot and a mild sweet flavor.  They make nice puddings and cookies.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2023, 11:41:13 PM »
I completely forgot that Melora and Julian went to KLINGON RESTAURANT, but that's because I hate that episode.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2023, 06:16:29 PM »
Klingons seem like evolved heavy metal musicians.  I don't think their cuisine would be much to my liking.  Probably like intergalactic road food or something.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2023, 05:47:37 PM »
This podcast makes me think that, if we ever make it into space, eating will be the least of our worries.  https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5zaW1wbGVjYXN0LmNvbS81NG5BR2NJbA?sa=X&ved=0CBEQlvsGahcKEwiYluyZgpWDAxUAAAAAHQAAAAAQLA

And to think, a trip to the Int'l Space Station is only 250 miles.  It's a longer trip to Los Angeles from San Francisco.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2023, 09:41:39 AM »
I remembered you talking about 2001 - A space odyssey, and it popped up on my facebook feed today.

A tray filled with pastes, and a fairly odd spoon type instrument to scoop with.
They are heated in a radar range (essentialy a microwave)
The meals are thought up in huston and a nutritional regiment is specialized.
There are 18 varieties.
When the astronaut is done eating, they put their tray in a cleaning slot pretty much identical to a standard dishwasher.

I find it interesting how close it is to the ISS video you posted.

In regular movies, Ice cream tends to be mashed potatoes, under film lighting ice cream would melt before the scene was finished.